Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
Adragon
0 Kudos

help my nook keeps freezing!!

I just bought my nook today and i singed in my library showed up but everytime i try to read or load a book it freezes it has been saying opening your book for a half hour and the screen is unresponsive i have tried turning it off and back on several times and it has been doing the same thing over and over.  help if you can  thanks

New User
HarleyMO
0 Kudos

Re: help my nook keeps freezing!!

I am having the same problem.  First I tried to download a summmary to my library and my nook frooze. Broght it in to my local B and N store.  They told me I had to remove the battery from the back of the nook.   Well, at that point the nook needs to be recharged.

Now I brought the nook on vacation.  Tried to download a book, says "starting".  This has been going on for the last three hours, and myn nook has frozen again.

I will be returning the damn thing since it has caused more frustration then anything.  What a disappointment.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Since you just got it today, lets start with the basics

Charge it fully.  Till the charge light goes off.

Click the My Account link at the top of this page, log into your account.

Double check that your account at B&N has a default credit card selected, and that the card has a valid mailing address, etc.  Re enter all the info (except your middle initial - which can be problematic) and click submit.

Go to your B&N library, and archive the problem books, (or do it from the web page).

Go to your nook, make sure airplane mode is off, and tap Check for New B&N content. (The archived books should disappear).

Then, while still in, "My Library",  Scroll to bottom of touch screen, and select "Show Archived Items"

Tap the archived book, Select Unarchive.  (This downloads a new copy).

The downloaded book will ask you for a credit card number (which must match your default credit card on the web site).  Once you give it the number I will never ask again.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your feedback and we apologize for any issues you have had accessing/attempting to access eBooks in your nook Library.

Below I have administered instructions that should alleviate most of these issues:

On the nook,
1.Tap on "My Library" from the Home screen (all of these steps are done in your "Library" on your nook)
2. Highlight the eBook (that you were unable to access) and tap "View Item Details & Options".
3. Then tap "Archive" and follow the on-screen prompts
4. Then tap "Check for New B&N Content" and wait for it to complete.

Once this update is completed, then you want to Unarchive the eBook in order to re-download the content

1. Ensure that you are still in My B&N Library section of My Library
2. Navigate to and Highlight the eBook you want to download (it should be grayed out).
3. Tap "View Item Details & Options".
4. Tap "Unarchive." and then tap "ok"
5. Then tap "Check for New B&N Content" and wait for it to complete.

You should now have access to that eBook.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Also wanted to post the following:

There also may be an issue with your log in info. You may want to double check your account online to make sure you have a default payment and billing address set up.  Sometimes retyping your credit card number helps.  Also, if you have a middle initial in your billing info, try taking that out.

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable.  To address this current issue, there is a size limitations of 300k compressed per chapter.  This issue is known and will be addressed in a future release. 

Try these steps, one at a time to get your nook fully functioning again:

1.  Press and hold the power button for 20-30 seconds and then release.  Then press it again for about 4 seconds to power up your nook. 

2.  The battery on your nook may be completely drained. Connect your nook to a wall outlet using the nook AC-Adapter and charge your nook for at least 2 hours.* 

*In some cases, re-charging may require the following steps below:

-Unplug the nook.

-Remove the battery (if you don't know how, I have attached a video page on how to remove the battery): 

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/video.asp?bnit=H&bnrefer=HOMEPAGE&cds2Pid=30195#vid3

Once the battery is removed, connect your nook to a wall outlet using the nook AC-Adapter.  The Nook should begin to go through its booting process.  Once booted, replace the battery (don't turn the nook off or unplug) and charge your nook for at least 2 hours.

If you are still having any problems with your nook, please call Customer Service to help troubleshoot your unit. You may call toll-free in the United States at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and ask for Digital Support. 

I hope this helps.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Contributor
LS-Indy
0 Kudos

Michael-V - I just sent an email to support...  I am in Mexico with TWO frozen Nooks.  They will NOT connect to the WiFi here.  I've removed batteries and recharged, but they are still FROZEN.  One screen is stuck on the screen saver and will NOT reboot.  The other is stuck on the opening screen that says "Your Nook is starting up"  but it never does.  I am so disappointed because we counted on the Nooks for reading material while in Mexico...  Can't call the 800 number for tech support....  Is there ANYTHING else I can do???

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

LS-Indy wrote:

Michael-V - I just sent an email to support...  I am in Mexico with TWO frozen Nooks.  They will NOT connect to the WiFi here.  I've removed batteries and recharged, but they are still FROZEN.  

First, you can't recharge with the batteries removed.

Your battery is probably totally depleted.  (EInk will still show an image even with zero power).

Michael's directions, in the post above are a tad confusing because they never tell you WHEN to plug it in, but then later they assume you have plugged it in.

1) remove battery

2) with battery still out, plug it into the wall charger

3) let it boot (with battery still out)

4) after it boots, replace the battery while it is still plugged into wall charger.

5) Charge till charge light goes out.

Since you can't connect to wifi and there is no AT&T 3G service in Mexico, switch to airplane mode and save your battery for reading.  (You can side load books from your computer).

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@LS-Indy,

Sorry for the issues you are experiencing.  International customers should call us at 201-559-3882201-438-1475.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 234 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: