Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
MarcRN1958
0 Kudos

itunes on Nook

I would like to put my purchased itunes music on my Nook is that feasible?

Thanks,

Marc

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: itunes on Nook

@MarcRN1958

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

Shouldn't be a problem, as long as the file format is MP3.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
New User
MarcRN1958
0 Kudos

Thanks for posting back :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:

How do I go about doing this, I have tried a couple of times and nothing occurred?

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

MarcRN1958 wrote:

Thanks for posting back :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:

How do I go about doing this, I have tried a couple of times and nothing occurred?

Ah, there you're beyond my powers.  I only use my eReader for ... eReading. :smileyvery-happy:

According to the Manual (see "Files and Folders"), you should be able to drag and drop them from your computer to "My Music" on  your Nook.  See Manual for details.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Scribe
frantastk

First, you have to convert your itunes music to mp3 format.  I figured out how to do that by reading the help files in itunes. I had never done it before. I typed mp3 in the searchbox in itunes help and if you scroll down the list one of the options is "save a copy of a song in a new file format." 

Here's what I did: Click the edit tab at the top of the screen. Click Preferences, the click General, then click Import Settings (it's next to "When you insert a cd"). The Imort Settings box will pop up. Under Imort Using, change the drop down box to "MP3 encoder".  Click Okay. Then go to you itunes library and select the song you want to convert. You can select more than one song and convert them in batches. Once he songs are highlighted click the Advanced tab at the top of the I screen. Click Create MP3 version. Itunes will convert your songs for you.

Then with your nook plugged in to your computer you need to find the mp3 song files on you computer and drapg and drop them into the My Music folder on your nook. I have Windows 7 and my music files get sent to My Computer>Libraries>Music>iTunes>iTunes Media>Music. All the music is sorted into folders by artist. Make sure you select the mp3 version of the file. You can hover your mouse over the file and it will tell you the file type.

For ease of finding my mp3 music later I actually created a folder under My Documents in my computer called "Nook Music" so I know what songs I have converted and can put on my nook.

I've had my nook for almost 7 months and just last week loaded up some songs just to see if it works. It works really well and I was pretty impressed. I just loaded up a bunch of songs I like to listen to while reading. You can't arrange them in any sort of playlist (which is fine by me). You either listen to them in whatever order they are listed (I think it might be alpha) or you can shuffle them (which is what I like to do anyway). I like to listen to certain music depending on genre so I may change songs in and out depending on what I'm reading. I've been using my ipod for that now.

I hope that made some sort of sense and I'm sure someone else can explain it a bit more succinctly than that. I have a tendancy to be a bit, umm, wordy.:smileyhappy:

Fran 

Correspondent
Red11
0 Kudos

The songs that I purchased through iTunes were not able to play on my Nook since they have the Apple DRM protection.  I was able to move music that I had copied onto iTunes.  I believe you can burn the Apple songs to a disk and re-import them to get them on, but I gave up since I had an iPhone.  

Haven't tried again since I got the NookColor since it has Pandora, but I would imagine it would work the same way.

Hope that helps!

Correspondent
Red11
0 Kudos

Fran - Thank you.  I did not know that was possible!  I may have a new hobby :-)

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

Red11 wrote:

Fran - Thank you.  I did not know that was possible!  I may have a new hobby :-)

Your welcome! It took me a while to figure it out. When in doubt always search the help files. Itunes songs don't have drm but they are in a format that the nooks don't read, once you convert them they should work fine.

Fran

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 28 members 545 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: