Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
SunshineDawn
0 Kudos

lending

Okay, so I got my nook for Mothers Day & absolutely love it.  I have purchased books & borrowed from the library. I would like to try out this lending thing.  Not really sure how it works.  If anyone is interested, please let me know.  I mostly have chick lit books.  I am a big fan of taking a break from my crazy life & reading light & breezy books.

Thanks

SunshineDawn
Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: lending

@SunshineDawn,

Welcome aboard!

Lending offers on a wide selection of eBooks can be sent from the NOOK to any email address. A lending offer, which shows up in the daily on the recipient's NOOK or their email account if they do not own a NOOK, is available for 7 days and can be accepted or declined on a NOOK or online. All lendable titles can be lent once for 14 days. Once a lending offer is submitted, it cannot be retracted.

If you are expecting to receive a lent book or a lend offer, and you don't see it in your NOOK, go to My Library and tap Check for New B&N Content.

With our new LendMe™ technology, you can lend many of your eBooks one time for a maximum of 14 days. In your NOOK's library, select an eBook and tap Lend. Then you either select a friend you have already defined on your NOOK, or create a new contact. You can also enter a personal message. Once done, tap Submit and then Confirm to have your lend offer emailed to your friend.

Contacts is the place where you keep the names and e-mail addresses of people to whom you'd like to lend books. To access your list of contacts, press Settings --> Contacts.

Below is the link online to the Top LendMe ebooks:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks/category.asp?PID=32720&bnit=H&bnrefer=EBOOKS&cds2Pid=29168&link...

Contributor
retiredreaderTX
0 Kudos

The key issue to remember in Michael V's answer to you is that it can be lent ONLY ONE TIME.  After that one time, you can't lend it again.  I was very disappointed when I found this out.  AND, in case it matters, you can't lend from a Nook to an iPad, even though iPad has a BN app and the owner can buy ebooks.  Strangely, the iPad CAN lend (once) to a Nook. 

Contributor
Karen_McCormack
0 Kudos

if you would like to test it out, i could send you a book. I would just need your email that your Nook is registered to. then i will go under my nooks setting & add you as a contact. i choose a Lend Me book, go to "view items details & options" choose Lend, verifiy i want to send it to you & confirm. You'll get an email and it will show up in you ebook library on "My B&N". all you have to do is accept. it will download right to your Nook. it will automatically be returned to me in 14 days. there is a return button if you want to send it back early. it's pretty easy, i was kind of suprised. i like it.

just let me know if you want a "practice run"

Karen_McCormack

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

These boards are not the best mechanism for sharing eBooks using the Lend Me feature.  There are sites specifically set up for this purpose.  BooksForNooks, s one; there is a thread currently going on the eBook Discussion board which contains some other lending sites.

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

retiredreaderTX wrote:

The key issue to remember in Michael V's answer to you is that it can be lent ONLY ONE TIME.  After that one time, you can't lend it again.  I was very disappointed when I found this out.  AND, in case it matters, you can't lend from a Nook to an iPad, even though iPad has a BN app and the owner can buy ebooks.  Strangely, the iPad CAN lend (once) to a Nook. 

Is this true?  I thought you just sent the lend offer to the email address they use for their BN account, and they could read it with any NOOK app or a NOOK device.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@lkmiller,

No that is not true.

You CAN lend from NOOK to anyone who has NOOK and any of the NOOK Apps including NOOK for iPad.

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

Thanks for the confirmation, Michael-V.  That's how I thought it worked.

New User
stacyangel
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

would love to.

i have varied books.

my email is

PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR PERSONAL EMAIL ON THE BOARDS.  THESE ARE PUBLIC. 

Contributor
retiredreaderTX
0 Kudos

I tried lending from my Nook to my Mom's iPad.  The email was received and she accepted the loan.  Then it would not download.  I called BN support and after 20 minutes on the phone, I was told that iPad could not accept books from a Nook device.  I know it doesn't make sense, but that was what I was told.  Then, because I had offered the book for loan and it was accepted, I could no longer loan the book.  BN support also confirmed that they could not "undo" the loan. 

If someone has actually loaned from the Nook to the iPad successfully, I'd like to know.  I'd try again.

Reader
keenens
0 Kudos

How do I get my book back?

I have successfully lent a book out, the two weeks is past and my book is still showing as being on loan.  How do I get it back?  I just loaned a second book out, and I am not sure I want to do this again if it is a real hassle getting my book back.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: How do I get my book back?

@keenens,

The borrower of the lent NOOKbook has up to 7 days to accept or decline an offer.  The 14 day time period begins the day that the borrower accepted the offer so it can take anywhere from 14 to 21 days before your NOOKbook is returned to you.

FYI.

New User
mariel329
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am looking for people to lend books with I like all the "chick" books too.

New User
Leslie50
0 Kudos

Karen, I can't thank you enough for your step by step instructions about Lending.  I was able to lend a book to a new Nook owner friend of mine.  You should write manuals, thanks!

New User
detrich
0 Kudos

So I am trying to lend a book to someone else on my nook.  I have selected the book and clicked on item details and options but it does not give me the lend me option.  Is there only certain books that can be lent?  Thanks!

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

detrich wrote:

So I am trying to lend a book to someone else on my nook.  I have selected the book and clicked on item details and options but it does not give me the lend me option.  Is there only certain books that can be lent?  Thanks!

Yes, only certain books can still be lent out. On Dec. 30, the top agency model publishers pulled the plug on the lending feature. Several of the smaller publishers have since followed suit as well.

B&N does NOT set the lending policy, it is set by the publishers themselves.

If you look at a book online, it will have a LendMe badge on it. On your nook, it will note LendMe somewhere (some in the title, some a banner across the corner of the cover).

But it is also quite feasible that out of the thousands of books that were previously lendable, the webmasters at B&N missed removing the badge or banner on a few of them here and there.

Generally, if you try to lend a book that isn't lendable, or one that you have already lent out once, you will get a message that the book is not available for lending or some other message.

It's best to check online and see if the book is lendable beforehand.

Happy reading

EDIT -- I believe someone mentioned the other day that all PubIt books are lendable.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Contributor
Gingerbug
0 Kudos

Ok Michael wrote that to see your list of contacts...go to settings and click on contacts.....but when I go to settings it does NOT have a category called contacts. I entered two emails for a friend and I need to delete one and can not even find my email contacts list. Hmmm

Can anyone help?

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

In "my library"  (make sure you're in B&N), you get a list of books.  Stop at the one you want to lend.  It must stay "lend me".  Touch "item details and options" and then "lend"  There you can add a new contact and see a list of your contacts.  I also looked at settings.

Check the manual.  You may have to go online to delete that contact.

I am puzzled.  I have been lending Sue Grafton books one at a time to a lady.  She still has one.  Now, they are no longer "lend me",   I guess the publisher pulled them.

Distinguished Correspondent
PBReilley
0 Kudos

Gingerbug wrote:

Ok Michael wrote that to see your list of contacts...go to settings and click on contacts.....but when I go to settings it does NOT have a category called contacts. I entered two emails for a friend and I need to delete one and can not even find my email contacts list. Hmmm

Can anyone help?

Hi, Gingerbug!

The Contacts category is the last one on the list in Settings - you have to scroll down to see it:  Airplane Mode, Wi-Fi, Display, Device, Contacts.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

I did not know that!  And you can delete from there also.  I guess I was always looking at the e-ink screen.  Thanks!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 19 members 203 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: