09-17-2010 08:03 PM
I have pushed the power button, I have held down the power button for about 30 seconds, and I tried plugging it in. I can't get it to wake up!
09-17-2010 08:23 PM
The only time this happened to me, my battery was completely dead and I had to charge my NOOK for about two hours before it would turn on again.
09-18-2010 09:59 AM
That happened to me once when I didn't think my battery was dead. I called CS, and they said to plug it in (which I had already done, just in case), and then to hold the power button down until it reboots. I had already tried that a few times with no success before I called them. But he had me stay on the phone with him and hold the button down, and after about a minute it finally came back on. No idea why it happened, or why holding the button worked when I was on the phone with CS and not before. Maybe because I held it longer.
09-20-2010 01:13 PM
Use the following procedure to restore functionality to an unresponsive NOOK.
Initial conditions: Ensure NOOK is properly ejected or unplugged from any AC outlet or USB power source prior to performing this procedure. You will need a clear space with good lighting as there are small parts which may become lost in the battery removal portion of this procedure.
Equipment: (1) Jewelers screwdriver (Phillips-head size 0 or 00), (1) USB cord w/charger.
1) Remove NOOK back plate to expose battery. To do this, find the tab on the bottom of your NOOK, near the Micro-USB slot. Gently pull away the back-plate from your NOOK until the back plate is fully removed. A click will be heard indicating the back plate has been properly separated from the device.
2) Upon proper removal of back plate, the battery will be exposed. The following step will have you remove the screw which holds the battery in place. Using the specified screwdriver, loosen the battery securing screw which holds the battery in place (Counter-clockwise to loosen). Continue loosening until screw can be completely removed.
Caution: The battery securing screw is very small and can be easily lost, proper lighting and a flat clean surface is recommended.
3) Remove the battery from the NOOK for 15-30 minutes.
4) Once the battery is removed, hold the power button down for 45-60 seconds. This ensures the NOOK will receive a final shutdown command and discharges all residual power.
5) After 15-30 minutes has elapsed re-insert battery into NOOK and re-install battery securing screw.
6) At this point you should fully charge your NOOK using your NOOK USB and charger with any standard AC wall outlet. Charging can take up to 4 hours so be patient. At some point in the charging process the charging LED should illuminate and your E-Ink display may cycle on and off.
Upon successful completion of this procedure your NOOK should be returned to a normal working status. If a “?” is displayed in the battery icon, it is recommended you insert a different NOOK battery momentarily then re-insert the original battery to clear the “?.”
09-21-2010 07:27 AM
My Nook not only wouldn't wake it, it refused to charge. I used your method, left the battery out 15 minutes, replaced and plugged the Nook in- lo and behold - it went on! BUT charging LED does not illuminate and I have a question mark, which I saw briefly before the Nook went to sleep. I've had my Nook four months, use it once a month to pack in two books, and then it sits, not plugged in. Am I doing something wrong? I can't believe that after four months I would need a new battery!
09-21-2010 11:27 AM - edited 09-21-2010 11:29 AM
At some point in the charging process the charging LED should illuminate and your E-Ink display may cycle on and off.
If a “?” is displayed in the battery icon, it is recommended you insert a different NOOK battery momentarily then re-insert the original battery to clear the “?.”
Also, if the "?" disappears while charging you should be fine.
This does not mean that you need a new battery. If you have a spare battery, one that you can borrow, or even if you can go to a B&N store to borrow a battery to clear the "?".
09-21-2011 10:56 AM
I wonder why this happens? My Nook would not wake up, and I thought we had a hard time waking up! I pushed both the power button AND the N button at the same time and it worked for me. And I hope this was ok.
10-02-2011 11:34 PM
this happened 2 me 2
i jus held the power button down for about 1-5 minutes
i think the problem might be if you downloaded screensavers or wallpapers from different websites
because my nook always has problems with the one picture
either it won't show up or it makes my nook freeze