Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
spterry
0 Kudos

Re: my nook won't turn on!

I have attempted the steps as described.  I am currently to the step which you suggest the battery be taken out for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.

I have removed the battery but the image of the screen saver (Homer) remains with the battery out...I would have thought the image would disappear once the battery was removed.  Does this seem right?

Sherry

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

spterry wrote:

I have attempted the steps as described.  I am currently to the step which you suggest the battery be taken out for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.

I have removed the battery but the image of the screen saver (Homer) remains with the battery out...I would have thought the image would disappear once the battery was removed.  Does this seem right?

Sherry

It takes no power for an e-ink screen to display something on the screen, only to change something.  So the screen won't change if it has no power.  It doesn't work like the LCD screens you're used to.

New User
LadyBDB
0 Kudos

Thank you one and all for your advice.  I held down the power button for several seconds, then it booted back up.  Did not have to remove the battery, just hang on to my patience.

New User
Shoma
0 Kudos

i was reading my nook. tried change the page. it went blank and there is a circle in the center going round and round. How do i bring my page back?

New User
JanWJW
0 Kudos

Plugged in to charge...read for a bit...put it to sleep.  

Tried to turn on and read/finish charging...no light lit...only picture of castle showing...won't turn on, won't charge...

What is next step?  Do I need to replace battery?  And how do I do that if battery needed?

Thanks

New User
bekahmonster
0 Kudos

PLEASE HELP!! So I take out the battery overnight and put it back in the nook. I plug the nook into the wall and the light comes on. But after about 30 minutes the light turns off and I press the power for 15 seconds and comes on again but it does NOTHING!! What do I do?????

New User
bekahmonster
0 Kudos

Please help! I plug my nook into the wall and the light comes on. So I leave it there for 30 minutes but then the light goes off. I took out the battery and left it there overnight. I put it back in and plug it in. Same results!!! NOTHING! I got my nook from a friend that had already used it so I think I might need a new battery or even nook, which I don't have them money for. I have the Nook first generation. PLEASE HELP!

New User
shablomps

Yesterday I was playing a game on my new Nook (valentine's day present not very old at all.) I put the Nook on the charger because I was going to go meet a friend for lunch. All seemed to be well, it was charging just fine. When I returned a few hours later to play with the Nook again, I could see that the charger light was green (meaning fully charged) so I unplugged the Nook and sat down to continue the game I was playing earlier. But the Nook would not come on at all...Not even a glimmer. For an hour I tried everything to get this machine to come on, with no success. I pressed and held all of the buttons, I plugged it back into the wall, I tried plugging it into the computer. I was so frustrated I started to looking for the protection plan so that I may take it back to the store. Then my husband walked over pressed and held the power button on the top/side for about 20 seconds. ( to ensure the machine was off, because he had a hunch that there was a SLEEP MODE). When he tried to turn the Nook back on, it had no problem coming on, but was trying to do updates. This took a little while, but eventually went back to normal. I guess my point is I DIDN'T KNOW that there was a SLEEP MODE. Because the Nook didn't give me any signs what-so-ever that It was even in sleep mode. It just looked like another broken Nook. Maybe this will help some people.

New User
rwhtinam
0 Kudos

Thank you so much you have saved me tons of heartach by having the right answer!! Now I can go back to my book.

rwhtina

New User
Taylor_King
0 Kudos

I need help with my nook.

I got it almost two years ago and it worked great. Never had any problems with it. A couple months ago, I tried to turn it on and it wouldn't turn on. So I charged it all day. The nexy day, tried to trun it on, same thing. So I googled what might be the problem and tried literally EVERY solution I could find with no success. When I plug it in, the charging light comes on so it might not be a power issue, but what do I know? Here is a list of things I've tried to get it to work:

• Charging it for THREE DAYS STRAIGHT.
  • Taking out the battery and letting it sit from 4 hours to 5 DAYS.
  • Charging it without the battery.
  • Holding the on/off button for random amounts of time.
  • Tried plugging it into the computer but the nook icon never even popped up.

I know I probably have to get a new one, but I want to make sure I have tried EVERYTHING I could before I give it up as a lost cause. Anyone have new ideas? Any help would be much appreciated.

Wordsmith
Melissa19
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
See below
Melissa19
Wordsmith
Melissa19
0 Kudos

Taylor_King wrote:

I need help with my nook.

I got it almost two years ago and it worked great. Never had any problems with it. A couple months ago, I tried to turn it on and it wouldn't turn on. So I charged it all day. The nexy day, tried to trun it on, same thing. So I googled what might be the problem and tried literally EVERY solution I could find with no success. When I plug it in, the charging light comes on so it might not be a power issue, but what do I know? Here is a list of things I've tried to get it to work:

• Charging it for THREE DAYS STRAIGHT.
  • Taking out the battery and letting it sit from 4 hours to 5 DAYS.
  • Charging it without the battery.
  • Holding the on/off button for random amounts of time.
  • Tried plugging it into the computer but the nook icon never even popped up.

I know I probably have to get a new one, but I want to make sure I have tried EVERYTHING I could before I give it up as a lost cause. Anyone have new ideas? Any help would be much appreciated.

Take it to a BN store if you can and let them troubleshoot it. They have spare batteries to put in. Your battery may be too old to hold a charge. They can check the software version too if they get it to turn on. Should be 1.7. If you are out of warranty the store can call support if they don't get it working. They may offer you a reduced price on the NC or NST, new or certified pre-owned.
Melissa19
New User
makayla39
0 Kudos

Thanks. This helped. I was having the same problem.:smileyhappy:

New User
Cherry25
0 Kudos

I haven't used my nook in abut 2 weeks and when I charged it knowing it was dead the green light came on which waas unusal because usually the yellow or orange light comes on first. Then I tried turning it on and it wouldn't turn on. I did th 20 second trick and it still didn't turn on. I took it off the charger earlier today and tried turning it on. It flashed white then it went back off again. Right now I have the battery off of the nook and it's charging but I don't know what else to do if this doesn't work. Any other suggestions?

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 26 members 198 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: