Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
dcbSC
0 Kudos

my nook won't turn on!

I was reading my nook yesterday with a full charge and forget to put it to sleep....today I can't get it to come on! The screen shows the citiscape and "press the power button to wake up your nook". Charger doesn't do anything...do I need to replace the battery?

Contributor
Greyhelm
0 Kudos

Re: my nook won't turn on!

Try holding the power button for twenty seconds and see if that helps.  If not try removing the battery for 15 minutes then putting it back in.

Hopfully one of those two will get you back  up and running.

Wordsmith
Michael-V

@dcbSC,

1. Unplug the device if it is plugged in.

2. While unplugged, hold down the power button for 15 seconds to make sure the device is off.

3. Plug the device into the wall (with the battery still in it).  The yellow LED should come on within 10-30 seconds.

4. If the yellow LED does come on, leave the device plugged in and allow it to charge.  After 30 minutes or so, it should boot up and charge fully.

5. If the yellow LED does not come on after step 3, go ahead and remove the plug, and then remove the battery.

6. Leave the battery for 4 hours (overnight if possible).  This step basically allows the battery to “reset”

7. After the 4 hours, go ahead and re-insert the battery.

8. Plug the device into the wall.  The yellow LED should come on within 10-30 seconds.  If so, leave it plugged in and allow it to boot and charge.

NOOK v1.4 software is now available via manual download at www.nook.com/update

with additional information and easy-to-follow directions. NOOKs connected to Wi-Fi will receive an automatic NOOK v1.4 update upon syncing over the next week.

This update offers complimentary AT&T Wi-Fi Access and a Go To Page feature (one of the most frequent enhancements requested by NOOK users).

If this issue continues and  there is a store near you a store rep can put a “good” battery in the device to get it to boot up.  After it’s booted, they can swap the battery with the defective battery.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Jumping on this thread because I saw the same thing with a neighbors Nook just yesterday, and wanted to add an interesting observation.

There are some functions that the nook does which seemingly can exceed the output of the nook's wall charger.

Her nook ran its battery down to the point it wouldn't boot or charge.

So we started to followed normal procedure for remove battery, plug in, let boot, etc.

On wall power, with battery OUT, it started to boot, got just about to the point of displaying the main wallpaper, and then froze with a black screen.  (Yup all pixels on - black eink display).  

The radios were still on, as we had not gotten to the point of being able to select airplane mode. Nothing we could do would get it past that point, and inserting the battery didn't help.

Just on a hunch, knowing that her battery was completely depleted, I took my fully charged nook battery and put it in the problem nook (which was still plugged in, and still in the frozen state), and it immediately continued booting.

So in some instances it may be possible to get a nook into a state where wall power alone is not enough to complete all tasks and a battery with at least a partial charge is necessary.

This might be why some people get their nooks into a state where they can't seem to get them to fire up all the way with a totally exhausted battery.

Maybe the 4 hour rest would help in these situations.

Maybe that's why the visit to the B&N store for a sip from a full battery gets the nook over the hump and booted up.

If not near a store, maybe someone elses wall charger (iphone, android phone) with slightly higher output would get past this temporary energy demand.

New User
jrfirm
0 Kudos

SOMEBODY HELP ME!

Two major things!

After unwrap your brand new nook, you can see this message on the screen "Fully charge...blah, blah, blah... Is it a plastic cover the message is written on? It was easy to remove the touch screen one below, but this one I don't even know how to start.

And the subject matter: my nook led didn't light up. I plugged into the wall outlet, then the computer; I already pressed the power button on the top. I just don't know whether it's on or off now. What else could I do?

Under normal circumstances, I'd go back to a B&N store and exchange it but I'm in Brazil now and it was bought over 15 days ago.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllp mmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Just plug it in and walk away for at least an hour.

You might have noticed that little Fully Charge notice.  Of course you did.

Read it again.  Then do what it says.   

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

lol, do what icebike said.  it's usually a good idea.  *grins*  but seriously, if i'm reading between the lines correctly, you were concerned that the led didn't come on, so you tried different methods of charging...  don't.  don't push the on/off button.  don't try charging from anywhere but the wall.  (i assume your charger is compatible with whatever the outlets and current might be in brasil?)  and don't panic that the led doesn't immediately come on.  2 weeks in, i'd be surprised if it did.  give it a few hours, and see what happens.

New User
jrfirm
0 Kudos

The Little funny message you refer to is "Fully charge before first use. Click button on top to power me up, blah, blah, blah"

I've done all that and so far my spanking new Nook won't do zip!!!

By the way, this message, what is it written on, the actual equipement screen or a kind of plastic? It puzzles me too. I don't see any marking to remove it (plastic).

Can you guys help me?

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

I don't remember for certain, but the message is probably on the screen.  It doesn't take power to conitnue displaying e-Ink, it takes power to change it.

At this point, how long has your NOOK been plugged into the wall charging?

New User
jrfirm
0 Kudos

It has been charging the whole night and still zip. I am very disappointed. And B&N won't even give me the chance to exchange it by mail.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Follow the directions in the third post above. Do them step by step.
New User
jrfirm
0 Kudos

Ice and everybody else here,

I am emotional now man (I'm 5ft tall black guy/this could look bad) but I'm in tears. I've finally made some progress here. As Mark Victor Hansen says, 'America is trully a nation of givers". Thanks for the existence of this post. Thanks for you willingness to dispense some time to help me.

Though, I'm happy and grateful, I won't forget Nook is user-unfriendly, complicated to get started with, and requires guys like me to bother folks like you, as if we were kids asking mommy for a lollipop.

I actually had the led light come on, nothing else happened but I'll wait for full four hours of charging and then let you know.

Thanks loads, buddies!

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

If the light comes on, it's a very positive sign.  I'll ASSUME that things will work for you.

Since you'll be troubleshooting your NOOK by yourself/with these boards, I'd suggest that you take a good look at your User Guide.  You can download it to your computer (see my link in my signature) and read while your NOOK charges, or wait till it's all charged up and you can read it on your NOOK.  Your call.  But it's an awfully helpful document.

Reader
MKR63
0 Kudos

OK...I did all the steps in the third post above.  My yellow light DOES come on, but my screen is still frozen.   It was plugged in all night.  This has happened before, and taking the battery out has always worked, but this time it is stuck on the screensaver and refuses to turn on.  I am extremely frustrated.  I even tried hooking it up to my computer, which someone said worked for them, but the icon for the nook never even popped up on the screen of my laptop.  That can't be good.

Help!!!!!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

MKR63 wrote:

OK...I did all the steps in the third post above.  My yellow light DOES come on, but my screen is still frozen.   It was plugged in all night.

The yellow light coming on is a good sign. Have you tried holding the power button down for 20 seconds, to see if it will shut down (white screen)? If so, just turn it back on and you'll be on your way. Since you have the yellow light, I'd really expect this "reboot" operation to fix you up.

If that doesn't work, you'll probably need a replacement NOOK.

Distinguished Correspondent
Globaltech
0 Kudos

Michael-V wrote:

@dcbSC,

1. Unplug the device if it is plugged in.

2. While unplugged, hold down the power button for 15 seconds to make sure the device is off.

3. Plug the device into the wall (with the battery still in it).  The yellow LED should come on within 10-30 seconds.

4. If the yellow LED does come on, leave the device plugged in and allow it to charge.  After 30 minutes or so, it should boot up and charge fully.

5. If the yellow LED does not come on after step 3, go ahead and remove the plug, and then remove the battery.

6. Leave the battery for 4 hours (overnight if possible).  This step basically allows the battery to “reset”

7. After the 4 hours, go ahead and re-insert the battery.

8. Plug the device into the wall.  The yellow LED should come on within 10-30 seconds.  If so, leave it plugged in and allow it to boot and charge.

NOOK v1.4 software is now available via manual download at www.nook.com/update

with additional information and easy-to-follow directions. NOOKs connected to Wi-Fi will receive an automatic NOOK v1.4 update upon syncing over the next week.

This update offers complimentary AT&T Wi-Fi Access and a Go To Page feature (one of the most frequent enhancements requested by NOOK users).

If this issue continues and  there is a store near you a store rep can put a “good” battery in the device to get it to boot up.  After it’s booted, they can swap the battery with the defective battery.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

tried all other 'solutions' posted but removing the battery and letting it sit for a while is what appears to have fixed it... the yellow light now comes on and it's charging.  The battery 'reset' seems to have worked.

I missed my nook.  Thanks for the tips to you and all the other posters who posted help (not directly to me, but that's what search is for.. finding those solutions)

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Holly cow Globaltech is back.  Haven't seen you posting here since April.

I thought you got banned or something.

Globaltech
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Holy Cow Batman!  It's Icebike!!!

Nope, not banned.  Just didn't have that much time to read but now with some life reorg, I have more time for pleasures like reading.

Viva La Piraten!  Still fightin' for the cause tho.  I'm sure I missed quite a few doozies since I've been gone. 

Actually, just checked in here because of a nook dead battery problem which was solved it seems.  Charging now.  Also wanted to see if anybody knew about the announcement tuesday, but other than rumors, that's nill.

I promise to play nice though.. well mostly... mostly that is. /evilgrin

+++++++++++++++++++
Globaltech
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

well, that was an endeavor in futility... it appears to have charged okay, but the screen stays frozen.. with veritical and horizontal lines... I deem it officially hosed.

Taking it to the store tomorrow, hopefully can get a replacement there versus waiting for a refurb.  Maybe I should just wait and see what the announcement is and use my squaretrade warranty instead as cash towards the new product... dilemmas dilemmas.

But at least the light is orangish... goes with Halloween!! 

+++++++++++++++++++
New User
a_richard1
0 Kudos

I took it off the charger when the light turned green it want turn on

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 301 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: