Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
templenoire

network unvailable

Here is the issue.  I have a nook classic first version (not the 3g).  My nook i up to date 1.7.  I have been able to download books via my wifi in the past.  In fact i used the wifi on my nook to buy the free friday book and i purchased a book using my cc two weeks ago.  Anyhoo, I usually purchase books on my computer and then download them using the wifi, but i have used my nook to purchase and download too.

Yesterday I purchased a couple of books on my computer and tried to download them using my nook.  MY nook says the wifi i connected and I have full strenght.  When click check for new content, I get a message saying 'network is unvailable, check internet for connectivity'.  There is nothing wrong with my wifi.  I have wifi all over my house and it works fine on the other devices.  With that being said ive looked on the board and tried a few solutions so here is what ive already done.

1. powered down the nook and turned it back on

2.  turned the wifi on and off

3.  Forgot the wifi, powered down, turned back on, connected to the wifi again

4. Re entered the default cc, making sure information was correct

5. Downloaded a free book just to see if downloading would restart it, didn't work

None of those worked so i decided to unregister my nook.  The msg said my content would still be there, if i unregisted the nook.  I went to re register and lost all my books.  So now i have to figure out how to get my books back on my nook.  I guess i can side load it, but i want my wifi to work, any suggestions would be much appreciated thank you.

Reader 2
Scott2appy
0 Kudos

Re: network unvailable

I have the same problem. When I buy books using my PC, they will not load onto my NOOK now. The last ones that did I bought on May 22 and the new books I bought on May 29 and since will not load. I get the same network unavailable message when checking for new content. I can connect to to B&N on the shop feature and buy books but they will not load onto my NOOK either. I just get the network unavailable message.

New User
kersch
0 Kudos

I also have a NOOK 1st edition and am having the exact same problem. I can browse the store and still buy books but when I try to update my library by clicking "check for new B&N content," the same error message comes up. This literally happened over night, as in I could update my library yesterday.

I went to the store with this problem and all they could do at the moment was call tech support. They told me that they're currently experiencing this issue with multiple NOOK 1st editions and are working to try and fix it within a few business days; so don't worry, you're not alone. If it isn't fixed by this Thursday they told me to come back in and they'll see what they can do: they assured me that I wouldn't be walking out empty handed.

It sure would be nice though to hear from an administrator to get an official report and maybe some answers.

Reader 4
knitpearl
0 Kudos

thanks. I just found this problem today on my 1st ed. Will keep my eye out for updates. Appreciate the help, and community.

New User
daniellebct
0 Kudos

Oh thank goodness it wasn't just me! I've been on the comp for hours with tech and google trying to figure this issue out! I did all the same things, reboots, reconnects, and reregister just to come up with no books! thank goodness i found this and it isn't just me!

New User
ganguskohn
0 Kudos

I have the some problem with my Nook 1st edition. Purchased a new book inline this morning, went to Check for new B&N content on the Nook and got Network Unavailable message.

I spent 40 min on the phone with tech support this afternoon trying to troubleshot the problem. They were unable to fix the problem. Oh but now my B&N Library on my Nook has no content.

I talked to a friend with a Nook 1st edition and she is having the same problem as well.

P.S.. At the end of my 40 min on the phone with tech support, at which time nothing was fixed. She had the nerv to offer me a deal on a newer model.

Contributor
2PointySticks
0 Kudos

I did the online chat with tech support about this, and they told me that all N1Es are having this problem, they are working on it, and they "hope to have it fixed within the week". 

I demanded a refund for everything I've bought but can't download, and went and bought them from another website.  If I have to sideload 'em and have them in My Documents instead of My Library, I'm not paying B&N for the hassle.

Distinguished Correspondent
booklover128
0 Kudos

Re: network unavailable

Add me to the list of N1E owners experiencing the same thing. Every once in a while it works, and then it stops.

I even went into the local store and had the same problems on their WiFi, so I knew it wasn't something limited to my home WiFi. The Nook Expert was nice, but said that since these weren't being sold anymore, he really didn't know what to do next to try and fix it. I had already tried the Factory Fallback and also the 6x power cycle (which dropped me back to V1.3).

It's sporadic - about 10% of fhe time it works. The 3G is still working just fine and so is sideloading - it is strictly the WiFi connection.

New User
Racerpod
0 Kudos

Having the exact same problem. Nook first edition version 1.7 wifi and 3g. Found out today that the network was unavailable when I tried to download new books from b&n. I hope they aren't phasing the first editions out...

Contributor
CELockwood
0 Kudos

Same issue over wifi or 3g.  

Contributor
grissettsr
0 Kudos

Same problem here started friday. I left my nook at home while I went out of town.  Sunday when I came home the sample I was downloading was there.   I purchased a book today and it will not download.  Very frustrated glad I'm not the only one. 

Reader 2
six_feet_underwater
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem too. I really hope they get it fixed soon. What's the point of having the ereader if it won't load your books? Maybe I'll just upgrade to a kindle if they can't get it fixed. 

New User
levanlaere
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem as well. I have never had a problem downloading an ebook before. I am hoping this issue is fixed soon. :smileysad: Ruined my nightly plans...

New User
Camary
0 Kudos

Same thing is happening to me! I purchased two books on my Nook, the credit was removed from my account and the books were added to my online library but when I went to read them on my Nook, they weren't there, so I tried to check for new B&N content and got the dreaded network unavailable message. I really hope this gets worked out soon!

New User
nufan947
0 Kudos

glad to see i'm not the only one.

bummed that this is happening at all.

bought a book on the b&n store today for the sole purpose of reading it on my commute home, only to spend $10 and have nothing on my nook to show for it.  really disappointed; this is the first issue i've ever had with the nook, and it sure is frustrating.

New User
medic9017
0 Kudos

Re: network unavailable

Same problem here.  Can sporadically browse and purchase from Nook, but will not update library via WIFI or 3g.

New User
elektroangel
0 Kudos

I just archived a bunch of books online and when I checked my nook again it was syncing up and my library is back. Maybe try putting a book in your archive when viewing your library w a PC online
New User
JoRaeRob
0 Kudos

I'm having the same issues, and its really starting to tick me off.  I want to be able to download my books via wifi and not have to sideload by connecting to the computer.  I can get the content for free or cheaper at other sites.  Most of us bought our First Edition Nooks back when they were $150, and if they aren't going to fix issues with them or phase them out, then honestly, we should be offered free upgrades.  They didn't have any problems charging my credit card to purchase the book, now I can't read the damn thing.

New User
daniellebct
0 Kudos

checked my nook this morning and it's back up and running! just had to scan for new content again.

New User
medic9017
0 Kudos

I just got off the live chat with Bob W.  According to him it's a " technical problem" for all customers and is being worked on and may be resolved "soon".  When asked for a specific time frame I was given "maybe 1-2" days. 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 39 members 239 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: