Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
SechoDB

nook Cover Tutorial

[ Edited ]

In the link provided below (video) you'll be able to see the steps needed to make your own cover for the nook.

Materials needed:

• Textile fabric of your choice. A piece of about 1.5 ft by 4 ft long will suffice.
  • A piece of thin cardboard (or plastic) of about 1ft by 1 ft.
  • Glue.
  • A sewing machine. (you could potentially do it by hand but, good luck with that)
  • Time. (always invaluable)
  • And I assume you have a nook, or other reader for that matter, because I don't give exact measurements and you'll need it to make sure everything fits the way you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAhich2Upxs

Since this tutorial has two(2) possible finishes for the cover (namely Option A and Option B) PLEASE! do watch the whole thing before you set out to do your own.

Squematics to follow:

squematics

And this is a close up of the rim detail on Option B:Rim detail

Contributor
SechoDB

Re: nook Cover Tutorial

[ Edited ]

Oh, and for those interested these are the final results.

Option A type finish here:

Option A

Option B type finish here:

Inspired Contributor
JD05
0 Kudos

Wow!  Looks great.  Option A looks homemade but option B is very impressive!  Well done!  Can your covers fold over in half while reading?

You definitely have skills.

-----------------------------------
User manual: http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pimages/nook/download/User_Guide_nook.pdf
Remove the back cover: 25; Install microSD: 115; Wallpapers: 57, 113 (Use 600 x 760); Screensavers: 57, 112 (600 x 800)
Frequent Contributor
Technowitch
0 Kudos

Very nicely done!

Frequent Contributor
RaAusar
0 Kudos

Not too bad.

Has anyone come across any skins ( or stickers) for their nook? I personally would like to add a bit of flare to the front and or back of my nook.

Contributor
SechoDB
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JD05 wrote:

Wow!  Looks great.  Option A looks homemade but option B is very impressive!  Well done!  Can your covers fold over in half while reading?

Glad you liked it. And please post if you decide to do your own, I would love to see!

And yes, both versions fold over quite nicely.

Inspired Contributor
Undel
0 Kudos

Both variants look fantastic. I will have to admit, I'm partial to the polish of option B myself, but option A is very nice as well!

In reply to skins or stickers for Nook, I know that Skinit does them. You can upload your own photos or artwork, or use some of their premade skins. Honestly though, the Nook doesn't have enough "empty" space that I think a skin for it is warranted.

Contributor
SechoDB
0 Kudos

RaAusar wrote:

Not too bad.

Has anyone come across any skins ( or stickers) for their nook? I personally would like to add a bit of flare to the front and or back of my nook.

Perhaps you should check www.skinit.com   That's the only one I know, though I've never bought anything for myself so I'm not in a possition to be able to recommend it or otherwise.

Frequent Contributor
PsycheUtah
0 Kudos

RaAusar wrote:

Not too bad.

Somebody mentioned skinit.com  also go checkout decalgirl.com

................................................................................................................................................

“Patience; n. A minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue.”
Frequent Contributor
greatjava
0 Kudos

If you are looking for skins/decals yes they exist. Quite cool with matching screensavers even!

http://nooktalk.net/forum/accessories/decals-for-the-nook-amazing

Contributor
whereisjim
0 Kudos

nice job and thanks for the posting video tutorial on YouTube.

BTW, I like your wallpaper, can you please share your walpaper here?

Thansk.

Inspired Correspondent
nickels
0 Kudos

OP - this is a perfect piece for the instructables website:

http://www.instructables.com/

Nice work!

You should definately submit this to the instructables site.

I was thinking about making one for my wife until they release the good ones in April (holds breath)

Frequent Contributor
AmyK67
0 Kudos

RaAusar wrote:

Not too bad.

I got a really pretty floral skin from DecalGirl. They have LOTS of Nook choices.

Contributor
SechoDB
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Is it this one?

... or this one?

You're welcome!

Contributor
whereisjim
0 Kudos

Thanks SechoDB~

I was looking for the bottom one but I love both of them. Thanks.

BTW, do you happen to have name of these images? It looks like the board changed the file name.

Anyway, Thanks for the file~

Contributor
SechoDB
0 Kudos

The one on the top was "Asian-Vintage" and the one at the bottom "Red-Juice" (due to the fact that her hair and eyes are red in the colored version)

Contributor
whereisjim
0 Kudos

Thanks.

That makes me to wonder how to colored one look like~~~

Inspired Correspondent
nickels
0 Kudos

I got crafy tonight and made a cover out of an old pair of jeans. No sewing - all hot glue gun fun. Probably not the best choice, but it is all I have on hand. It ddn't turn out too bad:

here it is with the nook in it before I added the front button:

Thanks for the inspiration!

Inspired Correspondent
nickels
0 Kudos

Updated with final photos:

Nook COver Outside

Inside:

Contributor
_Michele_
0 Kudos

nickels wrote:

Updated with final photos:

Nook COver Outside

This looks great! I don't sew, but I do have a hot glue gun. I might just have to try this.

If you have any tips or tricks based on your experience doing this with a hot glue gun, I'd love to hear them.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 227 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: