Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
lordrain
0 Kudos

nook audio player bug?

i don't know if this is just on my nook, or if this is on everyone's, but I doubt this is limited only to me.

My nook has a lot of issues with listening to the audio player on headphones.

The only way I've found to consistantly make it work is to start playing something on the audio player, and then plug in the headphones (if I plug in the headphones first, it usually does not work).

The big issue however is that when you are listening to the audio player on headphones, and adjust the volume, the lowest option on the volume slider actually increases the volume to an outrageously loud level. The volume it pumps it out at this level is dangerously loud. I recommend testing it WITHOUT wearing the headphones. At one step up from the bottom volume, you will not be able to hear it at all, but when you lower it to the lowest level, it will be so loud you can clearly hear it even though you are not wearing the headphones.

Has anyone else experienced this? I noticed it occurring in both V1.1.1 and V1.2.0

Correspondent
Mandroid
0 Kudos

Re: nook audio player bug?

Mine is fine, it sounds like you may have a bad one.  If it occured in both Firmware versions it is likely a hardware issue.

"5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions"
Contributor
Droid937
0 Kudos

I am having this problem as well with v1.2

Frequent Contributor
Iain010100
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yes, the volume control is a little buggy in the earlier version. The first time I tried it it seems to be reversed, lower the volume to the right, raise it to the left. But I haven't tried it with version 1.2 yet.

It would also be great if there was a way to quickly access the volume control (or mute, or pause) while reading a book instead of navigating all the way to the audio controls.

Contributor
BN_Fan
0 Kudos

I'm on the latest v 1.2.0 but it's still not working properly.  When I press play it takes several minutes for the music to play through the headphones.  I have not tried sequencing it where I push play without headphones and then plug them in. You shouldn't have follow some special sequence to get it to work.  It would be nice if the audio player worked properly.  I believe it's a very useful feature when you're trying to read and drown out conversations and other noise.

Correspondent
Mandroid
0 Kudos

I am curious if the bitate may be an issue?  All of my mp3's are recorded at 192 or less and I have no problems.  Just wondering.

"5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions"
Reader 4
AI42
0 Kudos

I don't seem to have the volume problem but I do have the problem with it not starting right away with the headphones. I have to do what's been mentioned-leave the headphones unplugged until the player starts and then plug them in.

The whole procedure takes a fairly long time in my opinion. Once on it seems to operate just fine but getting it to turn on is frustrating.

Frequent Contributor
aztec506
0 Kudos

same problem here.  Very slow to load, like minutes.

New User
TurkeyJ
0 Kudos

My Nook's too new for me to have run into any problems, with the exception that I can't seem to load more than 5 or 6 songs on the player.  When it's plugged in to the PC, the music folder shows a veriety of songs; as many as 25 or 30.  But when I unplug from the PC, I can only get 5 or 6.  Anyone tell me how to fix that?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

TurkeyJ wrote:

My Nook's too new for me to have run into any problems, with the exception that I can't seem to load more than 5 or 6 songs on the player.  When it's plugged in to the PC, the music folder shows a veriety of songs; as many as 25 or 30.  But when I unplug from the PC, I can only get 5 or 6.  Anyone tell me how to fix that?

Are all your songs in mp3 format?  Its the only format supported.

Reader 2
minicooper0
0 Kudos

You're not the only one.  I tried the audio player for the first time after owning the nook for 2 months and when you lower the volume to the lowest settings, it goes to the max. volume, yet the display indicates otherwise.  Please fix this since you are going to damage your reader's eardrums!! 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 657 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: