Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
paulinarizona
0 Kudos

nook locked up

Cannot do any navigation and cannot get it to power off.....any idea's?

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Re: nook locked up

That only happens to me if my battery drains completely while my NOOK is asleep.  Plug it in and leave it alone for 2-3 hours.  Then see if it starts working again.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@paulinarizona,

Use the following procedure to restore functionality to an unresponsive NOOK.

Initial conditions:  Ensure NOOK is properly ejected or unplugged from any AC outlet or USB power source prior to performing this procedure. You will need a clear space with good lighting as there are small parts which may become lost in the battery removal portion of this procedure. 

Equipment: (1) Jewelers screwdriver (Phillips-head size 0 or 00), (1) USB cord w/charger.

1)      Remove NOOK back plate to expose battery.  To do this, find the tab on the bottom of your NOOK, near the Micro-USB slot. Gently pull away the back-plate from your NOOK until the back plate is fully removed.  A click will be heard indicating the back plate has been properly separated from the device.

2)      Upon proper removal of back plate, the battery will be exposed. The following step will have you remove the screw which holds the battery in place. Using the specified screwdriver, loosen the battery securing screw which holds the battery in place (Counter-clockwise to loosen). Continue loosening until screw can be completely removed.

Caution: The battery securing screw is very small and can be easily lost, proper lighting and a flat clean surface is recommended.

3)      Remove the battery from the NOOK for 15-30 minutes.

4)      Once the battery is removed, hold the power button down for 45-60 seconds.  This ensures the NOOK will receive a final shutdown command and discharges all residual power.

5)      After 15-30 minutes has elapsed re-insert battery into NOOK and re-install battery securing screw.

6)      At this point you should fully charge your NOOK using your NOOK USB and charger with any standard AC wall outlet.  Charging can take up to 4 hours so be patient. At some point in the charging process the charging LED should illuminate and your E-Ink display may cycle on and off.

Upon successful completion of this procedure your NOOK should be returned to a normal working status. If a “?” is displayed in the battery icon, it is recommended you insert a different NOOK battery momentarily then re-insert the original battery to clear the “?.”

Contributor
DFen911
0 Kudos

I've had this happen a couple of times. If your screen saver is on, but pushing the top button doesn't wake it up, do as the other poster suggested and plug it in for a while. Mine came back on after about an hour.

A side note, it's very helpful to have the Wi-Fi turned off unless you're using it to save on battery life.

Frequent Contributor
MLBerry
0 Kudos

I would like to have airplane mode the default setting.  In fact, I would like the Nook to automaticaly set to airplane mode after a set time of sleeping like say 30 minutes.  My practice is to have airplane mode on at all times except when I want to connect.

New User
miket97
0 Kudos

This fixed my problem. Unfortunately I had to go thru a few other trials and error, as I had not seen your post in time. This was just something I stumbled on. I have to be more dilegent at finding out answers here before trying a million and one things. I wish the Operating System on this thing could manage itself better...This just should not happen!!

Contributor
maxthedog
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just received a refurbished Nook.  (My original developed a cracked button after 4 months of use).  I've had it home for 2 days.  Today I went to read at lunch and it is completely stuck on a picture of Joseph Conrad.

I followed the directions here - first I tried holding the power button for 20 seconds.  No luck.  Then I took the back off and took the battery out. 

Do Not Charge your NOOK without the Battery.

Thank You.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

My other thought is the new power cord is bad, but that is what I used to charge it with in the first place.

I am really not happy about the prospect of sending a 2nd nook back within 2-3 days.  Any other ideas??

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

If the charging led next to the USB connector comes on then it is probably not the power cord.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@maxthedog,

Use the following procedure to restore functionality to an unresponsive NOOK.

Initial conditions:  Ensure NOOK is properly ejected or unplugged from any AC outlet or USB power source prior to performing this procedure. You will need a clear space with good lighting as there are small parts which may become lost in the battery removal portion of this procedure. 

Equipment: (1) Jewelers screwdriver (Phillips-head size 0 or 00), (1) USB cord w/charger.

1)      Remove NOOK back plate to expose battery.  To do this, find the tab on the bottom of your NOOK, near the Micro-USB slot. Gently pull away the back-plate from your NOOK until the back plate is fully removed.  A click will be heard indicating the back plate has been properly separated from the device.

2)      Upon proper removal of back plate, the battery will be exposed. The following step will have you remove the screw which holds the battery in place. Using the specified screwdriver, loosen the battery securing screw which holds the battery in place (Counter-clockwise to loosen). Continue loosening until screw can be completely removed.

Caution: The battery securing screw is very small and can be easily lost, proper lighting and a flat clean surface is recommended.

3)      Remove the battery from the NOOK for 15-30 minutes.

4)      Once the battery is removed, hold the power button down for 45-60 seconds.  This ensures the NOOK will receive a final shutdown command and discharges all residual power.

5)      After 15-30 minutes has elapsed re-insert battery into NOOK and re-install battery securing screw.

6)      At this point you should fully charge your NOOK using your NOOK USB and charger with any standard AC wall outlet.  Charging can take up to 4 hours so be patient. At some point in the charging process the charging LED should illuminate and your E-Ink display may cycle on and off.

Upon successful completion of this procedure your NOOK should be returned to a normal working status. If a “?” is displayed in the battery icon, it is recommended you insert a different NOOK battery momentarily then re-insert the original battery to clear the “?.”

New User
paulinarizona
0 Kudos

Thanks for the advice, however I spoke with Tech Support w/ Barnes and Noble and they shipped me a new Nook,,Now I do I get a screen saver?

New User
cleaver656
0 Kudos

I also have had my nook lock up in the sleep mode. I have been unable to get Homer to go away. It will not power off. I followed the steps removed the battery, held down the button for 45-60 seconds and lelf the Battery out for 2 hours.  I Plugged the charger in and still it has Homer on the display. Any other sugestions

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

cleaver656 wrote:

I also have had my nook lock up in the sleep mode. I have been unable to get Homer to go away. It will not power off. I followed the steps removed the battery, held down the button for 45-60 seconds and lelf the Battery out for 2 hours.  I Plugged the charger in and still it has Homer on the display. Any other sugestions

Have you checked the connection to the charger in the wall and the nook?

Yes.
Have you checked that the charger is not plugged into a wall switch that is turned off?

Yes

If there is a Barnes and Noble near you, take it there and ask them to try a different charger\cable. Otherwise call customer support.

New User
paulinarizona

I called b and N tech support...they replaced the nook

New User
cleaver656

After having the Nook plugged in overnight it came back to life. It appears to be working OK now.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:4 members 425 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: