Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
pgherring09
0 Kudos

nook not responding

i love my nook but i'm having issues with it not responding from sleep mode. it has done this twice, and i honestly don't remember how i fixed it last time i think i just kept holding the power button and finally got it to turn off. it has an almost full battery so i know that isn't the problem. i tried to read it tonight and it keeps showing my sleep mode sceen saver. i have held the power button down for a few seconds, for the 10-15 to turn it off and then for the 20 seconds that the FAQ suggests that you do when it is not responding. holding it for a minute doesn't do anything either. i am almost at the end of my book, it is a murder mystery and it is right in the middle of the good part i'm about to go crazy to find out what happens. any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

New User
ceramics
0 Kudos

Re: nook not responding

I am having the same problem. After I finally got it to download a book it will not respond further. It won't turn the page change the screen or turn off What do we do now?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

This sounds like it is totally discharged.   

If the screen saver is shown, that means its last state was on, and it may have locked up, or run out of battery.

Either way, the steps are:

Plug it into the wall charger.

Hold power down for 20 or 30 seconds.

let it up.

tap power again briefly.

It should boot.

If not, Unplug it

take off the back.

remove battery.

With battery out, plug it into the wall charger

let it boot

with it still plugged in, replace the battery, screw, and back.

Let it charge till the light goes out.

New User
PaulaEdwina
0 Kudos

I am not happy with this at all! I am a bookworm and I'm reading 4 books on my nook at the moment. Last night I had about 40% juice so I am pessimistic that this morning the problem is that the battery wore out.  Further, when I jack it into my laptop to charge, the laptop does not "see" the USB connection.  I bought this on Feb 2.

Correspondent
dElaphant
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It takes 3 or 4 full recharges for the Nook software to start accurately reflecting your battery level. It does get much, much better, so be patient. Until you get there, you'll find it says you have a decent charge even when it suddenly loses power. By the way, this is normal for all devices - it's just far more exaggerated on the nook until it finishes calibrating. 

But some things you may want to keep in mind (some of which I'm sure you know already):

1. Some USB ports do not supply enough power, or they have too many devices attached to supply power to all of them at the same time. 

2. Computers will not charge devices if the computer goes to "sleep" or "hibernate" or is turned off. 

For those two reasons, it's better to charge the nook directly through an electrical outlet, whenever possible.

3. The nook doesn't charge at all when it is turned off (blank white screen). It has to be on or showing the screen saver.

Finally, there's my personal theory that has no foundation in anything - I think if you shut the nook off completely (where you see the blank white screen) that interrupts the battery calibration, so you end up prolonging your suffering.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

PaulaEdwina wrote:

I am not happy with this at all! I am a bookworm and I'm reading 4 books on my nook at the moment. Last night I had about 40% juice so I am pessimistic that this morning the problem is that the battery wore out.  Further, when I jack it into my laptop to charge, the laptop does not "see" the USB connection.  I bought this on Feb 2.

If your laptop doesn't see the usb connection, (but the nook shows the usb diagram) it is a problem with the laptop.  Most likely its user error, unplugging previously without proper eject.  (Never disconnect the nook if it is showing the USB diagram).

Many XP systems will simply drop the USB port all together if unplugged improperly and then re-plugged.  They won't see it again till you reboot the computer.  Its a PEBCAC problem.

You will be happier charging with the wall charger.  So will your computer and your nook.

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:
Its a PEBCAC problem.

:smileyvery-happy:  I'm guessing there are a few PEBNAC problems floating around in the forums, too...

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 259 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: