Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Re: nook screen broken, similar to others I've read on here, a question.

SteamPunkShenanigans wrote:

I understand B&N is a business and has to make money.... but I've seen a lot of companies go above and beyond the call of duty for their customers. Some companies take a view of long term view on loyal relationships with their customers, B&N doesn't seem to be one of those. I naively believed they'd be different. I mean really, how much does a Nook Simple cost a giant multi-million dollar corporation, the single largest bookseller in the U.S? April 30, 2012, Microsoft invested $300 million for a 17.6% stake in Nook, which valued the business at about $1.7 billion. And now unfortunately, instead of blogging about how awesome B&N is, I am morally obligated to warn my audience, friends and family.

I ended up buying a new Nook Simple, so in the end I suppose B&N won, they're overfocused on increasing share holder value, they got their profit for their investors.

I agree with Kamas, if the Nook was broken through accidental damage and you didn't buy the accidental damage, why would you expect BN to replace.

1.  How much des a NST cost?  Well, if it was only you, not much, but if they replace yours, then the next guys, then the next guys, etc, it starts costing a lot.  Kind of like if you take 1 shell off the beach, it's no big deal, but if everyone does, it becomes a big deal.

2.  If I buy the extended warranty with accidental damage, and they replace yours even though you didn't, how is that fair to me and the others who took the precaution to buy the extra warranty?

I bought the extended warranty on my first Nook, but after that, I didn't.  And if my actions break the Nook, I wouldn't expect the company to replace it for me.

New User
SteamPunkShenanigans
0 Kudos

As I said, I am aware of B&N's policy, I was merely bringing to attention their priorities and how much they value their customers. But yes. Let's defend the corporation like they would defend us, right?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

As I said, I am aware of B&N's policy, I was merely bringing to attention their priorities and how much they value their customers. But yes. Let's defend the corporation like they would defend us, right?

No one is defending the corporation. No one needs to. You're aware of the policy, so I assume you're aware that you're asking for special treatment.  No one owes you special treatment for anything, whether it's this company or another. It's your responsibility to learn the policies and act accordingly.

I hope when you bought your second nook touch you learned from the original experience and purchased accidental damage coverage.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

No one is defending the corporation, they don't need defending for following their written policy.  You want special treatment.  You think it's only one person so why does it matter it's not that much money, but it's not one person, it's every person whose Nook has accidentally been broken who would want a new one.  

If you want coverage for that, buy the accidental breakage protection.  That's why I did with my first Nook, and it pisses me off when people feel they are entitled to what I paid for.  If they give someone a new one who didn't buy the extended warranty, does that make me a sucker for spending the money to protect myself?

Companies who do what you want for the sake of building loyalty, in my opinion, are also reinforcing the sense of entitlement and "it's not my fault" attitude that seems to be so prevelant in today's society.  The attitude today of "I break something, but someone else should be responsible for it and I'm entitled to a new one", be it a Nook or a phone or anything else.   You're entitled to what you paid for, a replacement if the Nook quits working due to something other than damage by the user.

New User
ntc40
0 Kudos

I nook screen, which I bought back in April or May of this year and only used about three weeks and then put it away, flickers. The screensaver is perfectly okay, but when I unlock the device, all I see is flickering or streaming lines across the screen. I used mine when my daughter's Nook (which she's had just over a year) did something similarly. I was going to give her mine, but I pulled mine out of the box it came in, charged it, and saw the same thing on my own Nook. I have the Nook Simple Touch. I didn't want anything extravagant. I wish B&N would fix the issue instead of going back and forth with sending tech support to have them reset and resold.

I think it's one of two things: A virus- My daughter has a SD card that she place all of her books on. It could be the issue, because when hers began acting up, she placed her SD card in my nook and at first it said I had low space which I couldn't remove what was taking up the space from the device's files. And then it started to flicker.

The second thing is the low on space issue. How do we clear off the device if space gets low? What are my options when I don't want the free stuff and Lend Me stuff to download automatically on the device?

Please help. I have the priviledge of replacing two Nook Simples and a Kindle. At least my oldest daughter broke her screen. Her Kindle got lost in her purse and the journey wasn't friendly!:smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

ntc40 wrote:

I nook screen, which I bought back in April or May of this year and only used about three weeks and then put it away, flickers. The screensaver is perfectly okay, but when I unlock the device, all I see is flickering or streaming lines across the screen. I used mine when my daughter's Nook (which she's had just over a year) did something similarly. I was going to give her mine, but I pulled mine out of the box it came in, charged it, and saw the same thing on my own Nook. I have the Nook Simple Touch. I didn't want anything extravagant. I wish B&N would fix the issue instead of going back and forth with sending tech support to have them reset and resold.

I think it's one of two things: A virus- My daughter has a SD card that she place all of her books on. It could be the issue, because when hers began acting up, she placed her SD card in my nook and at first it said I had low space which I couldn't remove what was taking up the space from the device's files. And then it started to flicker.

The second thing is the low on space issue. How do we clear off the device if space gets low? What are my options when I don't want the free stuff and Lend Me stuff to download automatically on the device?

Please help. I have the priviledge of replacing two Nook Simples and a Kindle. At least my oldest daughter broke her screen. Her Kindle got lost in her purse and the journey wasn't friendly!:smileyhappy:

To clear extra stuff from the device, you'll want to archive the things you don't want.  The easiest way to do this with multiple items is to access the account from a computer.  When you've archved everything you need to, sync your nook.

Another option is to delete things, but once something is deleted, if you want it again you have to re-purchase, so before you delete, be sure.

There's no option to prevent items downloading automatically - the nook will download the latest items (up to 5) each time in connects to the internet.

See if that resloves the flickering.  A virus is unlikely.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 24 members 486 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: