Reader 2
mekeo
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

nook screen broken, similar to others I've read on here, a question.

My nooks screen is messed up in the lower left hand side by the turn the page button.  It looks black with some smaller lines running through it.  I did some searching on the posts and found several similar threads, indicating I'm not the only one.  I did send mine in and just talked to customer service and they said it is cracked.  After talking to them some more it's going to be sent on for further checks to make sure. 

Here's my question.  I have never dropped my nook, I've been very careful with it and it's always been put up from the kids.  Now I might have to buy a new one.  Bummer, but I will cause I love it.  What I don't understand is maybe there is something defective with the nook if others are having the same problem?  Also anyone that has had this problem, what was your outcome?  Any advice or help would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: nook screen broken, similar to others I've read on here, a question.

@mekeo

What did Customer Service say?  Are they sending you a replacement?

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Reader 2
mekeo
0 Kudos

No they are not.  Whoever I talked to looked up some info on the screen and said that the screen has a small crack in it.  She did say other that that there is no other damage. Like from dropping.   But because the screen has a crack in it, it's not covered by the warranty.  So I will have to buy a new one.  She did send it on for further examination, per her supervisors advice.  So I will just have to wait and see what they say.  But as it stands right now I'll have to buy another one.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@mekeo,

Can you send me via PM your account email and a contact phone number so that we can reach out to you....?

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

New User
TURB0charged
0 Kudos

I am in a similar situation right now I got home yesterday and the screen was messed up in the left corner. I turned the device off and back on and my screen got stuck black. I'm going to call today and see if I can get it resolved. 

Reader 4
jlyoungun
0 Kudos

The same thing happened to mine.  I called saying that there were no visible cracks in the screen and they told me that they would replace it.

Contributor
ma49
0 Kudos

My screen developed a crack also.  No dropped or anything like that and kept in a case.  Works fine.

Contributor
digibrarian
0 Kudos

My screen has just started displaying lines that run across the whole length of the screen vertically and horizontally.  On top of that, there's a big portion of the bottom left corner of the screen that does not refresh at all or show anything.  I've been most careful with my reader and has never dropped it.  I've examined it carefully, just to make sure, and there are no cracks or damage to it  that would have caused it.  Is it something particular to all nooks that BN should be aware of?

Would BN support staff be so kind to guide me through?

Thanks!

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

Dropping the Nook is not the only way to damage the screen.  These screens can be damaged from finger pressure on the screen or possibly on the case edge near the screen, so be careful of gripping the nook with a lot of force or holding it in a pinch grip on the screen. 

New User
Adriano6k
0 Kudos

Hello...

I have the same exact problem as all of you... I bought my Nook last Thursday (August 19, 2010) and this morning (Tuesday, August 24, 2010) when I pull it out to read on the Subway, I noticed those distorting lines on the bottom left side of the screen. I never dropped this Nook, sat on it or applied heavy pressure. And I just can't ignore it, because it hinders my availabilty to read the bottom few lines.

Will B&N cover this? How long does the process take from me sending it in to them sending it back nice and fixed. How I love using this device, but this has me worried now. =(

Sincerely,

Adriano

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

Adriano6k wrote:

Hello...

I have the same exact problem as all of you... I bought my Nook last Thursday (August 19, 2010) and this morning (Tuesday, August 24, 2010) when I pull it out to read on the Subway, I noticed those distorting lines on the bottom left side of the screen. I never dropped this Nook, sat on it or applied heavy pressure. And I just can't ignore it, because it hinders my availabilty to read the bottom few lines.

Will B&N cover this? How long does the process take from me sending it in to them sending it back nice and fixed. How I love using this device, but this has me worried now. =(

Sincerely,

Adriano

You should call customer support at 1-800-THE-BOOK option 2 and talk to them about this.  They will be in a better position to advise you on what to do.

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Reader
wyldmom
0 Kudos

When I bought my Nook I purchased additional insurance -- if anything went wrong with it B&N would replace it.  At first I was going to say no, but when the clerk told me that even if I dropped it in the tub and it was ruined it would be replaced, I went for it.  An additional $45 or so.

Well worth it.  At first, because I really LOVE my Nook, the plastic frame cracked where the page turn button is (to turn to the next page, not previous).  It happened on both sides.  I called and it was replaced.  I was told that they had fixed that issue.

I received the replacement within 2 days -- Great service!

My replacement is now showing the black line in the lower left corner along with lines going across the bottom the screen.  It is starting to look like an "etch a sketch" I am extremely careful with my device and know it wasn't dropped.  I will be calling to have it replaced and will update you on the success (or failure) if I am given the run around.

I paid full price for this about 3 weeks before they reduced the price to $149 each.  As much as I understand that technology needs to be treated gently this type of problem is appearing to be pretty consistent from what I am reading.

Reader
wyldmom
0 Kudos

Update

I brought my nook into the local B&N store and spoke with the customer service rep.  He said that he has seen a number of nooks with these line issues.  His discussion with 800thebook indicated that he should try to reboot (reset to factory settings) and see if the lines go away.  Apparently he had another customer that developed this line issue.  With a reboot it will sometimes resolve.

No such luck in my case.  However, because I got the extra warranty it was replaced with no questions asked. 

I am being extra careful with it now -- but I can say that with each new one I get (this is the 3rd nook I've had) the product improves.  The left/right page turn buttons are reinforced and the touch screen is more sensitive for finger/swipe page turning. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ wyldmom,

The page button cracks are a manufacturer's defect and will be fixed even if the additional warranty is not purchased.

Your problem with your replacement nook is exactly the reason why I'm holding off have mine replaced because.  Aside from the crack by the forward page button and a few occasional freezes (3-4 since February), my nook is working fine and I'm not quite ready to rock the boat.

New User
LindaRR
0 Kudos

The lower left screen has the same defect that everyone describes on my new nook. I see absolutely no damage to the screen or case. This is actually the third Nook I have had in my hands. The first one would not hold a charge, they sent me a "refurbished" on with a black spot on the surface and then sent a "new" one to replace the refurbished one. This one  now has black ink distorting the screen.

At this point I am not impressed with the Nook and could not recommend it to anyone. I love the ability to get library books and the fact that it is so portable, but the technology is uncertain.

I don't know if they are going to be willing to help with this. My experiences with customer service have been uneven. The first two times I asked for help I got great service, but when replacing the service I got put on hold for almost an hour and had to call back a week later because the promised replacement never appeared. This technology is not ready for general use.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Please let me know which technology has no problems at all.

I'm waiting.........................

People with Nooks with no problem far outnumber people that have problems with their Nooks I'm sure.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

Not sure what the  current problem is...you've certainly had a run of bad luck...maybe a trip to a B&N store would be beneficial.

I really don't think that it's a fair statement to say you're having "...same defect that everyone describes..."  I would submit that the "very happy...love my Nook...no problems at all" populace is in the 90+ % range.

Anyway...hope you get this squared away...don't give up...it's worth the  effort to have a working Nook!

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Reader
_CC_
0 Kudos

I;m having the same issue, there is a triangle in the lower left hand corner of my screen that does not refresh and has lighter lines running through it. I have a cover on it, Ive never dropped it or put pressure on the screen. It is always with me as I am a constant reader, so I know that no one else could have damaged it. I bought it Nov of 2010 and this started on Feb 18th.

My battery also has a very short life, I attribute that to the fact that I read all the time, I have to charge it every night, it would never make it through 2 days without being charged. I have everything set at the lowest settings and in airplane mode. But it is for sure not the 10 day advertised.

New User
Dudemaster12
0 Kudos

Does anyone know if this is a treatable problem?  Is B&N working with people on this?  I got my Nook for Christmas and it has been a life saver.  I always keep my neoprene cover on it when it's not in use, and last night I turned it on to find a big ugly triangle in the bottom left corner.  Does anyone have a recent stor about this being taken care of to give me hope?  

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

@Dudemaster12 I feel the same. I got my Nook for Christmas and other than some WiFi connection glitches have had no problems. But then I read about all the problems people talk about on here and I get scared that something will happen to my precious Nookie. It seems that there are a lot of small issues. Even though I bought the SquareTrade 3 year warranty I would hate to have to add my entire 200+ volume library again. Lets just keep our fingers crossed that we get years of trouble free service.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:14 members 223 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: