Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
h2Oluvr
0 Kudos

Re: nook screen broken, similar to others I've read on here, a question.

I have had this happen twice. The first time it just kept freezing then it just blurred the bottom of the screen you read on. Now (the second time), it is just a small portion on the bottom left of the reader screen. I am really concerned because last time it happened I visited the store in person and no one in the store could tell me what was causing this. I am hoping to go and get it replaced because I have a warranty on it, but I am dealing with a minimal amount of anger because no one can tell me what is causing this and how it can be prevented in the future. 

h20luvr

Reader
_CC_
0 Kudos

We called in and explained what our issue was, they immediately said ok we are sending out a new one to you. By that time I didnt just have the small triangle I had one line running along the bottom and one along the top

Plus is I never had to go without my nook, minus is I had to reorganize my entire library.

New User
Mandy213
0 Kudos

My nook had never fallen, it fell once which is why it is broken Now but the fall was only a few inches. Now My screen (original nook) is weird I am leaving it for a while to see if it helps. Does anyone know where I can fix it for a low price thank you.

New User
daintydkay
0 Kudos

I have the same problem as everyone else. It cannot be a coincident. When I called them up they said that my warranty expired and there is nothing they can do. I had to order a new nook because I love it. Problem is the original nook I bought just went dark, and they replaced it. I had my nook turned off for weeks and have never used it. When I turned it on to use it I noticed the dark spot and white lines in the left lower quadrant. I asked if they could give me a discount or trade in with the new purchase and they refused. They didn't try to rectify the problem. They treated me as if I have not been a customer for years. After reading all these post, I think I will be taking them to the better business bureau. I am highly upset, as I not only paid $150 for the equipment, but I also bought a lot of books which cannot be read without the nook.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

daintydkay wrote:

I have the same problem as everyone else. It cannot be a coincident. When I called them up they said that my warranty expired and there is nothing they can do. I had to order a new nook because I love it. Problem is the original nook I bought just went dark, and they replaced it. I had my nook turned off for weeks and have never used it. When I turned it on to use it I noticed the dark spot and white lines in the left lower quadrant. I asked if they could give me a discount or trade in with the new purchase and they refused. They didn't try to rectify the problem. They treated me as if I have not been a customer for years. After reading all these post, I think I will be taking them to the better business bureau. I am highly upset, as I not only paid $150 for the equipment, but I also bought a lot of books which cannot be read without the nook.

Exactly what are you going to take them to the BBB for?  It was out of warranty so what did you expect them to do?  Warranties have an expiration date for a reason, no one is going to warranty something forever.  If it's out of warranty, then you've had it for over a year, why would you expect a discount or trade-in especially on something that doesn't work. There's no no laws or regulations out there that says they have to give you a discount or trade in with the new purchase.  Best Buy has a new trade-in policy, but I just checked, and there's no trade-in value for a non working Nook.

I get the fact that you're upset that yours broke, but expecting them to replace something out of warranty is unreasonable.

Bibliophile
Schwa
0 Kudos

daintydkay wrote:
I am highly upset, as I not only paid $150 for the equipment, but I also bought a lot of books which cannot be read without the nook.

Someone else mentioned that your BBB threat is pointless as the device is out of warranty and B&N is rightly not liable for anything at this point. 

But to the quoted point, you can read the books you own in several different ways without a nook with these apps

New User
Belle_023
0 Kudos

Re: nook screen broken, far worse than others here. I have a question...

Hello All, It seems that I'm having an issue that quite a few of you have experienced.

My nook was sitting on my dresser for about two weeks while I worked on a project at work (no time ot read) I live alone with no kids to interfere with it.  I didn't drop, I didn't press the screen too hard, etc and I know it was functional as I had read it the night before placing it in the spot where it was still sitting, untouched, two weeks later.

However when I turned it on, the entire left side of the screen was black and then it went off and never came back on.  Its now three weeks since that...I've charged it and tried turning it on again and now the screen is 99.9999 percent blank.  I can barely make out the time in the top right hand corner; the touch pad is functional but the lcdhas completely gone.

It was bought as a christmas gift from a Best Buy location and I live outside the US...will the warranty still apply to my device considering it wasn't purchased directly from Barnes & Noble and it was exported?

Can someone from Tech Support please advise what I should / can do.

Thanks,

Mssing my Nook

New User
divineRL
0 Kudos

I'm sorry I will have to disagree, this is more than a warranty issue. There is an apparant problem with the Nook itself.  Every person on here has the same problem, I simple cannot believe that everyone cracked their screen in the same location.  If there is a defect with the product a consumer should be compensated, its just that simple.

Contributor
DrWu
0 Kudos

This does seem to be a common problem.   And it seems like its more common when someone has left their nook sitting for a few weeks.   I've had a Nook since January '10, 3 months after I got it, I had the button crack problem and sent it in for a replacement, and didn't have any additional problems until recently.   I purchased an android tablet back in February, and since it works so well as an e-reader I had been using the nook application on that and shelved my nook knowing I'd need it again in the summer when I wanted read outside by the pool.  Well, this morning, I plugged in my nook without even looking at it, 2 hours later, picked it up, turned it on and sure enough, same problem everyone here has been describing. Lower left portion of the screen is all screwed up. I tried taking the battery out for 20 minutes and put it back in,  same problem, tried leaving it plugged in all day and now it seams worse.  I've done the factory reset thing and all that, doesn't help.   I guess since I'm out of warranty now with no extended warranty,  I'm out of luck.

Seems like more than a coincidence that this always seems to happen to the lower left corner of the screen.

New User
Stephanie567
0 Kudos

That is stupid! One day my nook is working fine and the next its just messed up on the bottom left hand corner! I love reading and I'm insane without my nook, but they're going to make me buy a new one instead of fixing the problem?

New User
boobooDL
0 Kudos

I too have the same problem with my screen and it's progressively getting worse.  I just got off the phone with BN tech support and am getting a replacement nook express delivered to me.  It was covered under my manufacturer's warranty.  Maybe they have finally realized that there is an issue with the device!:

New User
Nathan108
0 Kudos

Same thing just happened to us today, bottom left hand corner. Removed the battery to reboot and it didn't fix the problem. Even worse, it wiped the memory clean and erased our entire library. Guess I better make the claim.

Reader
cyndilou61
0 Kudos

Mine is doing the same thing, It started out with just a few lines running up and down and now the bottom left hand side is greying and blacking out. right between the turn the page arrows on the left hand side, where the battery is right behind it.I wonder if it has something to do with the battery.

I can't read three to four lines of the book.

I called support and they said they couldn't do anything about it because the warranty was up. So now I'm stuck with it, Not sure if I'm going to buy another one or go with the Kindle.  good luck with yours. I hope they can at least fix yours.

Contributor
jdg3
0 Kudos

I recieved a Nook Christmas 2010 - and the problem developed within a couple of months for me.  I had to return it, and then the replacement had the same problem.  And then the replacement for that had the same problem.  I just spoke to CS, and I'm going through it again, although the rep guaranteed that this time at least I'd get a new one instead of a refurbished one.

It seems like a common problem, and I really hope it's something that can be fixed by a software update.  To have this problem appear so many times for so many people is unacceptable.  It's a shame, because I like my nook, but if it keeps happening then I too will probably get a Kindle or another eReader. 

New User
sd29
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mine is doing the exact same thing- a year and a month after I recieved it as a gift.

Like other users, my nook was not dropped. It has been in a case since I started using it. A triangle appeared in the lower left hand corner with streaky lines running horizontally and vertically from it.

I took it into my local Barnes and Noble and was told there was nothing they could do. They then asked me if I would like a replacement... at full price. Seriously? This doesn't sound like a Better Business Bureau issue; this sounds like a future class action lawsuit. I really hope that Barnes and Noble decides to take better care of their Nook users so that it doesn't end up coming to this.

Correspondent
cinderxhella
0 Kudos

There seems to be an explosion of this problem as soon as temperatures begin to get extreme. For those of you that this has happened to; was your Nook exposed to heat or cold? By that I mean did you leave it in your car or is your house rather warm or cold? Just an idea but what if the liquid ink froze or boiled?

New User
Outwest_2011
0 Kudos

Mekeo,

I pretty much have the same problem with my Nook.  I too have something that looks like a bar with lines running through in on the lower left side of the screen.  I also have a horizontal line going around the middle of the screen.  It's very annoying!!!  This bar interferes with the first letter of every line of whatever I am reading. Unfortunately for me, my NOOK was a used one that my daughter bought from a neighbor.  It was working fine this past Father's Day 2011 but recently started acting weird.  I don't ever recall dropping my Nook.  It's funny that this all started at a B & N store when I was going online to see if there were any updates, etc.  I'm real disappointed.  I've never had a problem with a REAL BOOK!!!

New User
kisrael
0 Kudos

No,

I don't think that is why daintydkay wants to take the to the BBB.  I think everyone on this page looks at this problem as a manufacture's issue.  With cars, when things like this happen, the issue a recall (possibly because people might get hurt if they don't).  With recalls, it doesn't matter if a car is out of warranty or not.  You can still go to any dealership repair center and tell them to fix the issue related to the recall. 

The reason daintydkay wants them to handle for free is because it seems as if they put a defective part in something he/she bought from them.  I think that is justified.

Reader 2
iowamary
0 Kudos

I think it's often the lower left hand corner because that is where the battery is so the protective case is at it's weakest.  I was reading mine out in the sun and it was working fine.  The nook went to sleep for about 30 minutes and when I started it back up the lower left corner didn't refresh from the wallpaper.  While I can't see a crack, I am concerned that the inner portion of the screen is damaged.  I'm trying a hard reboot to see what happens.

So my guess is that my problem won't be covered, but it does seem like a design flaw.  I do wish that B&N would recognize this and not treat it as a manufacturing issue versus a user error issue, but from all the previous posts it doesn't look like that will happen.  Sigh.

New User
Dayna1017
0 Kudos

We have had the same problem 3 different times.  My daughter and I both love using the nook, but we were very disappointed in the customer service we received at Best Buy.  I am hoping B&N will do something about this problem.  BB swears this has not been an issue with other customers.  I see that's not true by the 39 posts I see on this website.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 8 members 183 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: