Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

Re: nook screen broken, similar to others I've read on here, a question.

[ Edited ]

Dayna1017 wrote:

We have had the same problem 3 different times.  My daughter and I both love using the nook, but we were very disappointed in the customer service we received at Best Buy.  I am hoping B&N will do something about this problem.  BB swears this has not been an issue with other customers.  I see that's not true by the 39 posts I see on this website.

Of the millions of Nooks sold, 39 people by your count, came to these forums and posted this problem.

I am sorry you had this problem and I hope BN takes care of you.  But there is no fire.

New User
bobzdar
0 Kudos

Same problem on mine, lower left hand corner started going bad and now it's unreadable.  Happened 1 year and 3 weeks after purchasing, so missed the warranty window by 3 weeks.  The nook still looks new, it's been in a case, never dropped and not taken out of the house very often.  Happened while reading at home in bed.  I'm really hesitant to buy a replacement as I don't want to have to buy one every year.  Seems like this is a pretty big problem, 40 people posting just on this board and I have read the same thing on other boards, though luckily most people were under warranty.  This really does seem to be a manufacturing defect.  Really on the fence about what to get next...

New User
Jelisica
0 Kudos

Thats so funny i got mines the same day u did and im having the same exact problem and i just blamed my bf saying he sat on it lol.. I didnt get the extended protection plan. Will b&n still help ??

Contributor
NanKR
0 Kudos

Me too.  Blank section in the bottom left corner with lines extending from it to the top and right side of the screen.  Mine has never been dropped either.  This happened while my 16 year old was reading it in the car.  I got it a year ago June.  After reading through this I don't hold out any hope that anything will be done to help but I'll call to see.  I probably won't be buying another one.

New User
StrawberryScreamCake
0 Kudos

That's exactly what happened to me but I know I didn't drop it or anything! I know it can't just be a crack, either, because its been changing shape and thickness! I hope I don't need to buy a new one....

New User
ariencel
0 Kudos

Guys, this happened to mine--a rectangular distortion in the bottom left of the screen with lines emitting from it. I got mine eighteen months ago, but it's been in the same leather case since I bought it and I haven't dropped it. It was fine this morning; this afternoon it was bad. I'm on the phone with customer service right now; the guy's trying to hook me up with a new one (we'll see if he does--I think they're trying to keep me on hold until my cell battery dies). I recommend giving them a call even if it's been over a year. He's trying to extend my warranty.

Reader
TerminaMorte
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Same problem here. Bottom-left screen has black lines running through it and B&N say it's cracked.

It's still under a year and should be covered by warranty, but they will not replace/repair it.

I'm getting a kindle; they seem to be more rugged and the plastic won't wear away in the first few months leaving you with an ugly yellow/brown device.

Last time I ever buy something from B&N

(Also, is there a number that doesn't end up with a callcenter in India? I'm thinking I might have better luck if I can talk to someone in the US...)

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

TerminaMorte wrote:

Same problem here. Bottom-left screen has black lines running through it and B&N say it's cracked.

It's still under a year and should be covered by warranty, but they will not replace/repair it.

I'm getting a kindle; they seem to be more rugged and the plastic won't wear away in the first few months leaving you with an ugly yellow/brown device.

Last time I ever buy something from B&N

(Also, is there a number that doesn't end up with a callcenter in India? I'm thinking I might have better luck if I can talk to someone in the US...)

The screen is defective and since the Kindles use the exact same screens they have the exact same problems. The solution is to be a little more assertive in getting a replacement since this is a screen failure and not a cracked screen.

Reader
TerminaMorte
0 Kudos

Yeah, I've called three times. Talked to superviors and all that.

Their answer is the same; this screen issue is NOT covered by the warranty.

My step-mom has a kindle, the one time she had to send it in there was no issues. And the people she called could speak english!

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

TerminaMorte wrote:

Yeah, I've called three times. Talked to superviors and all that.

Their answer is the same; this screen issue is NOT covered by the warranty.

My step-mom has a kindle, the one time she had to send it in there was no issues. And the people she called could speak english!

You need to go to a store and talk to the manager. The screen is not broken it has a defect. also PM SLevine she works for B&N and probably can help you. 

New User
redhairanomaly
0 Kudos

This is the same thing that happened to me... same side and everything. There must be some sort of defect.

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 517
Solutions: 40
0 Kudos

Hey TerminaMorte,

Please PM me with your account info (email, serial number) and i'll take a look at this for you

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
New User
jojohanna
0 Kudos

I'm having an issue also with my NOOK. I havent used it in about a month due to traveling for work, and it's been sitting on my dresser alone. I went to turn it on tonight and the bottom half of the screen is black looking, there are lines on the screen, etc. I know it wasnt dropped, because no one else lives with me, and hasnt been here. I cant remember a warranty was purchased or not (its was a gift). It has been less than a year since purchase. My problem is that I dont get off of work until after the customer service lines close. Any ideas??

New User
scout1_7
0 Kudos

@JOJOHANNA

If you get any help with getting ahold of someone could you pm me?

Currently in Iraq and mine's doing the same thing.  I need to see about sending mine back and getting a new one out here or if there's a way of fixing it myself.

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 517
Solutions: 40
0 Kudos

Hey all,

I've read a few posts here regarding NOOK screen errors, and in an effort to dispel any misconceptions; I'm here to help. 

B&N will indeed honor any defect with your NOOK screen as stated under your warranty's T&C's.. What your warranty does not cover is any physical damage to the screen resulting from accidental drop/spill, etc. B&N provides the option to purchase extended coverage for this, within 30 days of purchasing your NOOK. 

Anyone experiencing lines across their screen, or blacking out on portions of their screen should try some of the prelimary troubleshooting steps provided on these very boards. Such as powering the NOOK on/off, flashing the screen by holding the power button for 20 seconds, etc.

As you all know, many screen issues can be addressed by simply powering the device on/off or by ultimately resetting the unit. If however, none of this resolves your situation please call our customer service line at 1-800-THEBOOK and our support agents will be more than happy to assist with any further troubleshooting or replacement, if needed.

If you still find that your issue hasn't been resolved, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to look into the matter for you.

Again, i'm sorry many of you are still having issues with your devices.

Hope this helps!

-Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
New User
Theresa_Schneider
0 Kudos

Miy Nook all of a sudden developed the same defect:  a smudged area in the lower left corner with lines radiating our horizontally and vertically.

I took it in to the B&N store that I purchased it from.  The salesperson told me that from the way my screen looked, it had been squashed in some way.  I always carry my Nook inside the stiff leather envelope case that I bought at B&N.  I have never dropped my nook.  As I was 2 months past 1 yr. from the purchase date, and did not purchase the extended warranty, I was out of luck. 

The only satisfaction I was given?  The salesperon offered to sell me a brand new Nook. 

I purchased my Nook for $239, a few months before they lowered the purchase price. 

If I ever buy another ereader, it will be a Kindle.  I bought my niece a Kindle for her birthday.  She had a screen problem, and they sent her a brand new one. 

-Unhappy former Nook owner

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Theresa_Schneider wrote:

Miy Nook all of a sudden developed the same defect:  a smudged area in the lower left corner with lines radiating our horizontally and vertically.

I took it in to the B&N store that I purchased it from.  The salesperson told me that from the way my screen looked, it had been squashed in some way.  I always carry my Nook inside the stiff leather envelope case that I bought at B&N.  I have never dropped my nook.  As I was 2 months past 1 yr. from the purchase date, and did not purchase the extended warranty, I was out of luck. 

The only satisfaction I was given?  The salesperon offered to sell me a brand new Nook. 

I purchased my Nook for $239, a few months before they lowered the purchase price. 

If I ever buy another ereader, it will be a Kindle.  I bought my niece a Kindle for her birthday.  She had a screen problem, and they sent her a brand new one. 

-Unhappy former Nook owner

Maybe if you talk to the store manger they can accommodate you. However B&N is under no obligation to replace items out of warranty that you agreed to when you purchased it. Amazon doesn't always replace expired warranty items either and the same eink screens in the Nook are used in the Kindle. 

New User
pigsnfish
0 Kudos

One more for the broken screen in bottom left quadrant

I wanted to blame my kids; I even blamed myself.  My Nook has been sitting on my dresser for a few weeks in its case.  When I turned it on the other day, I had the weird thing going on in the lower bottom left quadrant of the screen.  I actually came to this forum to see if there was something that I could do to repair the screen myself, but now that I see it's a defect, I'm betting I'm out of luck.

At the very least, this thread has made me feel better about what is going on with my Nook!! 

I hope the Nook can be replaced or repaired, but from what I'm reading, I doubt it will be.  There are times we can't afford milk; I highly doubt I'll be able to buy a new Nook!  (Sorry, kids, you don't need milk for the next 5 weeks because Mommy needs a new Nook isn't going to fly around here!)

I love the convenience of ebooks, but in the end, its not a convenience when it causes this many problems.  Guess I'm back to picking up print copies of stuff from the local thrift store and packing my bookshelves again!

New User
Paper-Best
0 Kudos

My situation is similar and was wondering if the screen repaired itself?  Mine is slightly improved after an hour and the "recommended" factory reset.

Frequent Contributor
nooker10
0 Kudos

My problem is with the nook frame it is cracked on both sides, it is no longer under warranty, can I purchase a new frame?

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 667 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: