Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
FlopShotter
0 Kudos

Re: nook screen broken, similar to others I've read on here, a question.

OK, I'm a two-time loser on the screen line issue with the Nook Classic.  The first time, it was under warranty and replaced with a "refurbished" unit.  I didn't like that, but it looked as good as new and off I went.

Three months later, and I have the "lower-left" vertical and horizontal lines - and they seem to grow by the day.  At first there was one line each direction, and now I'm up to about 6-8 in each direction.  I went to my local B&N store yesterday, where they are exceptionally helpful and were great in the last exchange of my nook.

This time, however, though they were again helpful, I was told that the warranty expired (which was apparently a carryover of the time frame from the original purchase).  I've had this unit less than six months - but I was told (after the clerk spent time on the phone with nook service) that I was out of luck.  "Sorry, maybe you can buy the simple reader - it doesn't seem to have the screen issues that we've seen a lot on the classic."

Why would I buy another one?  I love it, but there should be a full recall.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

FlopShotter wrote:

OK, I'm a two-time loser on the screen line issue with the Nook Classic.  The first time, it was under warranty and replaced with a "refurbished" unit.  I didn't like that, but it looked as good as new and off I went.

Three months later, and I have the "lower-left" vertical and horizontal lines - and they seem to grow by the day.  At first there was one line each direction, and now I'm up to about 6-8 in each direction.  I went to my local B&N store yesterday, where they are exceptionally helpful and were great in the last exchange of my nook.

This time, however, though they were again helpful, I was told that the warranty expired (which was apparently a carryover of the time frame from the original purchase).  I've had this unit less than six months - but I was told (after the clerk spent time on the phone with nook service) that I was out of luck.  "Sorry, maybe you can buy the simple reader - it doesn't seem to have the screen issues that we've seen a lot on the classic."

Why would I buy another one?  I love it, but there should be a full recall.

The Kindle and nook use the same screens they both have failures, some people have good luck, some don't. I have had my Ne1 almost 2 years have read at least a hundred books with out any screen problems and no cracked bezel.

New User
MamaLibrarian
0 Kudos

Yup. Same issue here. The problem began in the lower left corner of my Nook and continues to spread across the screen. Sounds like a factory issue, quite frankly. It is so annoying. This issue is particularly bothersome when I try to type things in the search box while on the web. I cannot even SEE the box. While I can still read on my Nook, I wish I hadn't spent the $250 to buy it. ):

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Had this same issue with my daughter's 11 month old NOOK WiFi.

I called B&N customer service and within a week had a new (refurbished) NOOK Simple Touch (they were out of the original NOOK WiFi).

I love the new NOOK and can just hope that my 23 month old NOOK 3G breaks before my extended warranty is up so I can get it replaced with the simple touch as well :smileyvery-happy:.

Reader
tori_g
0 Kudos

Well... I guess I'm not alone. I too have the 1st edition which went wacky. Very disappointing to see that the bottom left corner is damaged as well, but at least I know it wasn't something I did. Because it's already damaged I thought I would try a few experiments to test its durability. I tried pressing very hard on the screen to see if the nook was damaged due to pressure, but even with me pushing on the good part of the screen as hard as I could, it still remained the same. A magnet doesn't seem to do anything either. 

New User
atlantapug
0 Kudos

I have had my Nook 1st ed. for about 1.5 years. I love it and use it all the time. I did get the crack on the page turner button, as did my sister. She called and got hers fixed, I didn't care since it still worked.

Now, last week, I got the etch-a-sketch lines in the lower left corner, just like everyone else. I didn't drop it, sit on it or do anything wierd. The screen is black also, except for the broken pixels in the corner.

I brought it back to B&N today, hoping they could fix it. They couldn't. But even though it's not on warranty, they let me choose from the Nook Simple or the Nook Color for about 1/2 price, NEW! Even less if I were to get a refurb.

I was quite impressed with their service, as they didn't really owe me anything.

Thanks B&N,

Lesson.... it never hurts to ask. :smileyhappy:

New User
jbearJB
0 Kudos

Which B & N store.  Did you have to talk to a manager or did they offer that to you at the counter?  My nook's warranty expired 2 months ago and now my screen is half black.  I took it into the store and they said nothing they could do for be, to bad so sad.  But they did offer me a new nook at full price, wow thanks.  Not sure what my next step is since this is clearly a manufacturer defect. Help!

Reader
kari_d
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

There's a blog here:

http://www.rebuilddontreplace.com/2011/11/rebuilding-nook-with-broken-screen.html

That tells you how you can order a replacement eInk screen, and gives good instructions on how to install it to fix that etch-a-sketch issue in the lower left corner (or any eInk screen issue).  This is a good option if out of warranty and B&N won't do anything. The replacement screen is only $35 and worth a try.

New User
My1stEditionNook
0 Kudos

My NOOK 1st EDITION screen is not broken like everybody else has said, with the black splotch and white lines, but it's still very broken. 

I have never dropped it or caused any damage and the kids have never used it or anything, but for the first time I used it in about 5 months, when I turned it on half the screen was black and the other half white.

It only got worse over the next 24 hours. There started to be more lines and an exerpt of the homescreen was showing and a very faint portion of the charge your nook warning showed up, but the touch screen works perfectly fine.

I have the extended warranty-but I was told that the 1st edition is no longer sold. Will Barnes and Nobles be able to replace it? Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks!

Contributor
LisaK-BookLover27
0 Kudos

If your Nook is under warranty they will either replace it with the edition that you currently have, or replace it with a Simple Touch. If you get an option, I would suggest a Simple Touch. They're much easier to use, and don't have nearly the amount of screen malfunctioning issues that the 1st edition does. 

New User
Heatherbear
0 Kudos

We are in the same boat. My daughters Nook whole left side of the screen is frozen and has lines through it and the Nook company informed us that the screen was broke and we can send it in and "pay the difference" meaning purchase a new one or used one from them. Like you it has never been dropped or damaged ...it does seem as though this is a defect in the Nooks and for some reason we are having to buy new ones instead of the company fixing it

Reader
fantasyreader0
0 Kudos

About to shed some serious tears here!  I just finished reading a book, plugged the nook into my computer to downlowd the next in the series, and WHAM! etch-a-sketch lines everywhere!  I don't understand how it can go from working fine in my hand one minute, and the next it is totally screwed up. Sadly, mine is a classic purchased two years ago, so I'm sure I can't find any of my extended warranty info.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

fantasyreader0 wrote:

About to shed some serious tears here!  I just finished reading a book, plugged the nook into my computer to downlowd the next in the series, and WHAM! etch-a-sketch lines everywhere!  I don't understand how it can go from working fine in my hand one minute, and the next it is totally screwed up. Sadly, mine is a classic purchased two years ago, so I'm sure I can't find any of my extended warranty info.

If you bought the extended 2 year warranty from B&N at the time you bought your NOOK you're in luck.

Just call B&N support, give them the serial number, and they'll be able to tell you if you are still covered by the extended warranty.

If you are still covered great.

If you are out of warranty, be very polite and understanding with the CS representative. From my personal experience, and also anecdotally from stories posted on this board, the CS reps have a bit of discretion, and if you're nice you just might get a replacement device anyway.

New User
kellykrow
0 Kudos

I have had the same exact thing happen to me...I didn't use my nook for about 6 weeks, and when I went to turn it on I had a bunch of streaky lines running down the left side of the screen. I reset the factory settings, tried to charge it fully to see if it would fix itself, even left it alone for a couple days to see what would happen. It actually got worse, with a horizontal streak across the top of the screen, in addition to the streaks down the entire left side. My nook is a little over 2 years old and I've never had any issues until now, but of course, the warranty has expired, and from reading other posts I figured I was SOL. But I decided to try tech support to see what they had to say. They didn't even ask me to troubleshoot anymore than I already had to up to this point. Makes me think they have been dealing with this issue alot?? They offered me a discounted trade in because my warranty was expired, $35 for a cert. preowned  1st Edition, $50 for a cert. preowned simple touch, or $70 for a new simple touch. I ended up picking up the cert pre-owned  simple touch for $50 because it also comes with a 1 year warranty, so it made me feel better about getting a used one. ANYWAY...my point is, if you are having these same issues, MAKE SURE you call customer support, because you can get a deal like I did and not be out the $150 you paid for your original nook. I almost didn't call  after reading the other posts because I didn't think they would do anything since the warranty expired, but I'm glad I did.

Contributor
RMBerkman
0 Kudos

Broken Nook Simple Touch Screen

My Simple Touch screen broke after 3 months of use; I was told by the customer service agent in Bangalore that B & N does not replace broken screens (unlike Amazon, which replaces broken Kindles immediately.) Please submit photos of your broken Nook to Instagram and use the hashtage #nookfail. Let's see if we can shame B&N into supporting their products.

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

Re: Broken Nook Simple Touch Screen

Your nook should be replaced under warranty if the damage a product defect. Otherwise replacing the sceen would likely cost nearly as much as a new nook, especially considering shipping.
New User
Sharonbooklove
0 Kudos

Me too. 1st edition. Left hand corner. Never dropped, stored in neoprene case. ok one day toast the next  1.8 years old used occaisionally. The etcha sketch lines are spreading in two directions.. will be buseless in a week. Unhappy.

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

See reply #74 above by kellykrow. Talk to CS. You may get a discount on a replacement nook.
New User
SteamPunkShenanigans
0 Kudos

I've been a loyal B&N customer since I learned how to read. My Nook Simple screen broke within 90 days of owning it. I went to the nearest B&N store, panicked and in tears; the employees were nice enough but immediately said I should call 1800BOOKS without even looking at it.

I called, and at first, "Sam" assured me because I just bought it, it would be repaired. I was thrilled.... until he put me on hold, then changed his story. He told me because it was "my fault", and I didn't have a warrenty they wouldn't, in fact, replace it. I asked if I could send it in and pay to have it fixed, he said no.

I understand B&N is a business and has to make money.... but I've seen a lot of companies go above and beyond the call of duty for their customers. Some companies take a view of long term view on loyal relationships with their customers, B&N doesn't seem to be one of those. I naively believed they'd be different. I mean really, how much does a Nook Simple cost a giant multi-million dollar corporation, the single largest bookseller in the U.S? April 30, 2012, Microsoft invested $300 million for a 17.6% stake in Nook, which valued the business at about $1.7 billion. And now unfortunately, instead of blogging about how awesome B&N is, I am morally obligated to warn my audience, friends and family.

I ended up buying a new Nook Simple, so in the end I suppose B&N won, they're overfocused on increasing share holder value, they got their profit for their investors.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

@SteamPunk, if the screen broke because of your actions and not due to a defect in the screen, I'm not sure why you would expect B&N to replace it if you didn't buy the warranty. That's why you should buy the warranty, in case of things like this.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 22 members 213 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: