Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
sirabicat
0 Kudos

nook will not connect to home network

[ Edited ]

My nook sees my home network (It's WPA2 and the signal strength is excellent.), but it will not connect to it. I've entered the key properly (several times), but it just doesn't work. It will connect to very low-strength unsecured network that it also sees, so the Wi-Fi connection does work. Just not with my network. I have nothad problems connecting other devices (computers, Wii) to this network. The nook, however, just won't play. Very frustrated. Please advise.

Distinguished Correspondent
Gtriever
0 Kudos

Re: nook will not connect to home network

I had the same problem a few days ago with my wireless access point, after successfully connecting on prior occasions. The solution in my case was to power down and restart the WAP and then have the Nook rescan for the device.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

sirabicat wrote:

My nook sees my home network (It's WPA2 and the signal strength is excellent.), but it will not connect to it. I've entered the key properly (several times), but it just doesn't work. It will connect to very low-strength unsecured network that it also sees, so the Wi-Fi connection does work. Just not with my network. I have nothad problems connecting other devices (computers, Wii) to this network. The nook, however, just won't play. Very frustrated. Please advise.

As the previous poster has suggested, I would first try rebooting the router and see if that helps.

The other thing that might be causing the problem is the type of network you have.  If it is 802.11N the nook will not connect to it.  The solution is to turn off the "N" protocol at the router and just use it as 802.11g and 802.11b. 

Good luck . . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Reader 4
DuckPuppy
0 Kudos

Wireless N routers are no problem for the nook, provided they also support 802.11b/g - I currently use my nook on a wireless N network at my house.  The nook connects via 802.11g and my laptop connects with 802.11n... no need to disable wireless N, the important bit is to make sure that it's not set to allow 802.11n connections only.

For reference, my router is an Apple AirPort Extreme, but previously I used a cheap Belkin wireless N router, both with no problems re: the nook.

New User
Terry23
0 Kudos

the only problem with setting your wireless N router to N,G or B is when a device other than an N connects the router downgrades to the slower speed. So if you are connected with your laptop by way of N and your nook connects by way of G then your laptop connected is downgraded to G.

I am very supprised that the nook does not support N and will be looking to see if the kindle does.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

This message has been moved to a more appropriate location. This helps to keep our boards organized.

New User
sage6240
0 Kudos

I downloaded some updates to my Nook last night   Now I can not connect to my home wireless router and all my settings and Nook registration is gone.   Also I cannot connect to my home wireless network it keeps telling me I have the wrong password.  I was able to connect to my wireless router and had my Nook registered and all setup before I downloaded the updates. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

New User
2441mo
0 Kudos

i am having trouble connecting to my home wirless on my nook very frustrated please give me

help or advise

New User
mollie98
0 Kudos

i feel stupid, but what is the wap?

New User
TekTK
0 Kudos

I had this same problem and was equally frustrated.  I finally got a Nook support person who seemed to know a bit about wireless encryption.  He said the encoding key is itself encrypted and stored on the Nook (presumably so someone cannot read your key from the device.)  I seem to recall that I either needed to return the Nook to factory settings (press and hold the power button for 30 seconds, power up again, then repeat) or needed to restart my wireless router.

I don't accurately recall exactly what I did, but I have resolved the situation and have my wi-fi connection back.  It was quite a while back, but I thought this might give you some leads, FWIW

New User
Maris_Stella_Aceri
0 Kudos

This corrected the problem for me:  When Nook is scanning for home network it said WPA2 detected.  I forgot I had to dumb down security for another device; my MAC Airport was set to WEP.  Changed MAC airport to WPA2 to match what Nook wanted.  Connected with no problem.  So if having difficulty, try the following three.

1. Reset Nook. i.e. hold down power button 5-10 sec.

2. Make sure 801n (b/g compatible) is checked.

3 Make sure what your nook is looking for is what your router settings are set at.  If looking for JOEBLOW WPA2, make sure JOEBLOW secure network [with the password ready in your hand] is set to WPA2.

Hope helps users.

New User
Fisherdv78
0 Kudos

Thank you. This information (and how you explained it) was very helpful.
New User
pat40
0 Kudos

Nook will not connect to home wireless router.

Pass Word: checked and is correct.

It would appear that the signal to and from the router are not what is expected.

Do we have a key board problem with the NOOK?

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

pat40 wrote:

Nook will not connect to home wireless router.

Pass Word: checked and is correct.

It would appear that the signal to and from the router are not what is expected.

Do we have a key board problem with the NOOK?

Do you get an error message?

The password the Nook asks for is the Wifi password/passphrase that you find in the Wifi settings of your router. This is not the admin password that you use to access your router settings (common mistake).

Contributor
Weidbrewer
0 Kudos

Count me among those that is having no luck. Wife and I just upgraded our Nooks this weekend to the Simple Touch, firmware v1.1. Our old ones connected to the home network without trouble, but the new ones get to the "Acquiring IP address" point and then fail to connect.

I've tried the suggestions in the B&N forums of rebooting the router, forgetting the network-rebooting Nook-scanning for the hotspot again, and several combinations of rebooting the router/rebooting the Nook in different orders. Nothing.  I have not yet reset the Nook to factory, per the above, as I've read other people that have done that and lost all functionality - so I'll keep that in my hip pocket for a last-ditch option.

If I turn the hotspot on on my phone, no problem. If I connect to my neighbor's unsecured network, no problem. My network? Nothing.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Weidbrewer wrote:

Count me among those that is having no luck. Wife and I just upgraded our Nooks this weekend to the Simple Touch, firmware v1.1. Our old ones connected to the home network without trouble, but the new ones get to the "Acquiring IP address" point and then fail to connect.

See this post.  Step by step instructions to get connected to your Wifi again.

It has worked for all but one person who has reported trying it for this issue.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/updated-to-1-1-0-now-wireless-will-not...

Contributor
Weidbrewer
0 Kudos

Hmmmm....interesting....

Worth noting: mine's the same router/service listed in that post.  I will check it out when I get home and report back.  Thanks!

Contributor
Weidbrewer
0 Kudos

Very awesome - worked like a charm.  Thanks!

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Weidbrewer wrote:

Very awesome - worked like a charm.  Thanks!

I'm glad it worked.  :smileyvery-happy:

New User
Punkzilla
0 Kudos

So spent hours on hours tyring to get my nook to connect to by Belkin router..., took off the mac filter, changed my security from wep to wpa, and as a last resort even exchanged the nook for a new one thinking that would alleviate the problem.  Turns out that the fix was all in my network name.  For ease of memorability, by ssid was my address with a space between the numbers and letters of my street (example: 1234 broadway).  The nook recognized my network, but would not connect.  Belkin had me rename my network to one word (eliminating the space) and boom...it connected just fine. 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 3 members 181 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: