Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
New User
skip4119
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎12-26-2010
0 Kudos

nook won't connect to wireless internet

my  nook won't  connect to linksys in my house; i don't get it, its not any different than wi fi. i spent two hours on phone w/ technical support and their answer was to try it at some other location. i would have thought the nook would download / communicate in my house. if i have to go to barnes and noble, or some other wifi, i might as well go buy a book the traditional way- in paper

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
Posts: 725
Registered: ‎08-13-2010
0 Kudos

Re: nook won't connect to wireless internet

If you really want to get help from members on this forum you really need to supply more information than "my  nook won't  connect to linksys in my house . . . .". 

 

EXACTLY what problems are you experiencing.  A description (a complete one!!) of what you are trying, what error messages (if any) you are getting, what kind of nook are you trying to get connected to wi-fi, what kind of security you have on our wi-fi home network, etc.

 

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
New User
skip4119
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎12-26-2010
0 Kudos

Re: nook won't connect to wireless internet

its a bnrv100 black and white screen w/ color touchpad. when i touch "wi fi hotspot"  available and non available choices appear. my wireless is unsecured and has excellent signal strength. it reads "connecting to linksys" for several minutes, then reads  "disconnected "........every retry is the same........my laptop is using the same wireless and  getting on is no problem

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
Posts: 1,949
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: nook won't connect to wireless internet

 


skip4119 wrote:

my  nook won't  connect to linksys in my house; i don't get it, its not any different than wi fi. i spent two hours on phone w/ technical support and their answer was to try it at some other location. i would have thought the nook would download / communicate in my house. if i have to go to barnes and noble, or some other wifi, i might as well go buy a book the traditional way- in paper


 

The "try it at some other location" is just a possible step to determine whether it's the nook, or something with your home setup.  If you can go to B&N or some other hotspot, then you'll know it's not the nook itself.

 

Have you tried to reboot your router?

 

Have you tried to "forget" the network on the nook and then try again, letting it search?

 

This issue comes up pretty often, if you search these boards you may find a solution.

 

Good luck.  Don't give up.

New User
MarjieMVP
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎12-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: nook won't connect to wireless internet

I have a similar situation, plus my 3G is not so "hot" in my area.  My home network uses a linksys router wrt54g v6.  The signal strength is excellent and I have no problem connecting with any of my 3 laptops.  I have rebooted the router, the modem, the nook and nothing has worked.  I have unregistered and re- registered.  I have even followed and checked my router settings as suggested in some of the other strings.  Nothing has worked.  I'm baffled as my sister's Nook, which I purchased last year, works wonderfully.  Tomorrow I will try a BN hotspot, if the snow allows it.  Hopefully, it will work or this Nook will unfortunately be returned.

New User
grandmajohn
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎12-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: nook won't connect to wireless internet

I can't seem to get connected to my wifi. Nook keeps asking for a password, I've given it all I know and it still won't connect.  I'm trying to register my nook and the message I get is "Could not register, could not connect confirm your network connection and try again" Error message: c7852.  Ok it's late, I'm tired, going to give it up for now will try again in the morning. I have rebooted by the way....let me know if anyone has the answer. Thanks

New User
maryjoe
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎12-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: nook won't connect to wireless internet

I was trying to connect with my 'network' in Control Panel, wrong had to use my Passphase with my Linksys, now Nookcolor and i-pod touch are connected.

New User
MarjieMVP
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎12-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: nook won't connect to wireless internet

Last night I upgraded the firmware on my linksys router and everything connected beautifully. 

New User
grandmajohn
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎12-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: nook won't connect to wireless internet

I couldn't hook up either, finally had to go to ISP and get the password thing fixed. Works beautifully now, thanks to all.

New User
scottl
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎12-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: nook won't connect to wireless internet

[ Edited ]

i cannot connect to my wireless system in my house, it is a 2 wire from windstream.

Contributor
IGIVEUP
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎01-11-2011
0 Kudos

Re: nook won't connect to wireless internet

  The biggest thing needed seems to be  setting the router  using 2.4 ghrtz as opposed to 5, then enabling SSID broadcast, MAC address entered if needed. Security probably won't matter as the reader should work with most types, but an open network seems like a bad idea. Also DHCP enabled, MAC filtering off, MTU auto and there are also other things that might be changed.  Remember to save changes if appropriate and look up your router manufacturer support if needed as B&N support doesn't seem to be able to give any useful help.  Read all the posts you can stand to as many different ideas are offered and may be what you need. 

  You are pretty much on your own, with only other people's posts and the internet to help and the websites of your hardware manufacturers of course.

  With patience, you should be able to get connected, and though it's not your job to do the R&D and product testing, it seems that this is how it gets done.  If you really like the reader, don't give up, but I would suggest letting B&N know how badly they have marketed and supported the NOOK Color.

  I'm using a Cisco/Linksys E2000 and it took lots of effort, but it works now.

  Good luck!

Wordsmith
ProfReader
Posts: 1,147
Registered: ‎02-18-2010
0 Kudos

Re: nook won't connect to wireless internet

How do you expect B&N to know every thing about every router that exists? They can give you basic information about settings, but it is your network so it is up to you to get it setup properly.A lot of the problems have to do with using WEP. No one should still be using this it is worthless. The other issue is port blocking either by a firewall on the users end or the ISP's end or sometimes a defective wifi radio in the Nook.Also firmware problems in the router you are using.Sometimes all that is needed is a firmware update.


IGIVEUP wrote:

  The biggest thing needed seems to be  setting the router  using 2.4 ghrtz as opposed to 5, then enabling SSID broadcast, MAC address entered if needed. Security probably won't matter as the reader should work with most types, but an open network seems like a bad idea. Also DHCP enabled, MAC filtering off, MTU auto and there are also other things that might be changed.  Remember to save changes if appropriate and look up your router manufacturer support if needed as B&N support doesn't seem to be able to give any useful help.  Read all the posts you can stand to as many different ideas are offered and may be what you need. 

  You are pretty much on your own, with only other people's posts and the internet to help and the websites of your hardware manufacturers of course.

  With patience, you should be able to get connected, and though it's not your job to do the R&D and product testing, it seems that this is how it gets done.  If you really like the reader, don't give up, but I would suggest letting B&N know how badly they have marketed and supported the NOOK Color.

  I'm using a Cisco/Linksys E2000 and it took lots of effort, but it works now.

  Good luck!


 

 

Contributor
IGIVEUP
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎01-11-2011
0 Kudos

Re: nook won't connect to wireless internet

The support people should be able to tell you the basics, but the three we talked to were totally unprepared and left me wondering what their background is.  They should have had some ideas and at least been able to give people the correct router type(freq. 2.4). I don't expect to get an IT, but a little knowledge would go a long way and they just didn't even seem to care.

Reader
brwipens
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎01-19-2011
0 Kudos

Re: nook won't connect to wireless internet

A lot of home users that are going to have this problem have older LInksys 54G routers and probably have security set to WEP-Shared. That isn't going to work with the NOOK. If the security is set to WEP, it must be WEP-Open and not Shared on your router/access point.

 

Personally, I prefer WPA-2 or WPA-Personal for better security if you have to change your router to get the NOOK(or anything else like newer smartphones) to connect. WEP-Shared is a dying form of security these days on a home wifi network.

Reader
MarieKellie
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎12-25-2011
0 Kudos

Re: nook won't connect to wireless internet

You could have provided this same suggestion without chiding someone. A lot of people are new to forums and don't understand what is needed. Many people are reluctant to ask questions in forums because of cranky posts. Let's all try to be a little more civil and helpful. Also -- a suggestion to everyone in general -- give simpler direct instructions -- including "click on this" then "click on that" -- too many answers here are given with the assumption that the person asking a question knows programming lingo.

New User
strugglingwithmynook
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎12-28-2011
0 Kudos

Re: nook won't connect to wireless internet

Any information you could pass along would be ever so helpful.  I am trying to set up my  father's nook to a Cisco, Lynskys E2000.  I was able to get the internet when I hit the reset button on the router.  However once the security was added I lost the internet.  We are almost ready to throw the nook out the window!  Please help.

Contributor
popov
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎08-13-2011
0 Kudos

Re: nook won't connect to wireless internet

Tell people to not give up but you got it working is useless. HOW did you get it set up?
Contributor
popov
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎08-13-2011
0 Kudos

Re: nook won't connect to wireless internet

The source of this problem is the network device driver on the Nook. If you look at the Cisco forums, you'll find posts describing this problem very precisely: http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/E2000-Can-only-connect-wirelessly-through-quot-Gu...

 

That set of posts will help you understand the problem but provides no direct help.

 

Nook support is, like most Indian support, a useless and a frustrating waste of time. Don't bother - they will tell you to do a factory reset or something equally stupid and waste your time.

 

The only avenue for solving this that I can think of is to go into the B&N store and do a firmware upgrade on your Color Nook once you are connected. Then take it home and see if that solution worked. That's what I'm going to do.

 

One item of note is that my older Color Nook (bought Xmas 2010) WILL CONNECT, which adds weight to the notion that it's a device driver issue. The Color Nook I just bought today DOES NOT CONNECT.

 

If I figure out a solution, I'll post a detailed description of how to solve it. Stay tuned.

Contributor
popov
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎08-13-2011
0 Kudos

Re: nook won't connect to wireless internet

Got it. The problem is either the wireless guest access is not enabled or it has a different password than the default network. Linksys sets up 2 networks: one for hardwired (i.e. ethernet cable) and one for wireless. This is a security measure designed to restrict wireless devices to internet access only, as opposed to other pc's on the network.

 

When the Nook tries to connect to the default network, it will automatically redirect to the <router name>-guest network.  That's why the default password doesn't work. Each network has it's own pw.

 

Here's what I did:

o Inserted my Cisco Linksys E2000 setup CD.

o It will take some time for it to download updates. Be patient and let it.

o Eventually, it will come up a square page composed of 4 squares.

o Then, click on the "Change" link in the "Guest Access" square. 

o That will show you your guest pw and/or allow you to enable guest access.

 

One thing that's kind of curious is why my older Color Nooks had no problem connecting and did not re-direct to the guest network.

 

HTH

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,836
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: nook won't connect to wireless internet


popov wrote:

Got it. The problem is either the wireless guest access is not enabled or it has a different password than the default network. Linksys sets up 2 networks: one for hardwired (i.e. ethernet cable) and one for wireless. This is a security measure designed to restrict wireless devices to internet access only, as opposed to other pc's on the network.

 

When the Nook tries to connect to the default network, it will automatically redirect to the <router name>-guest network.  That's why the default password doesn't work. Each network has it's own pw.

 

Here's what I did:

o Inserted my Cisco Linksys E2000 setup CD.

o It will take some time for it to download updates. Be patient and let it.

o Eventually, it will come up a square page composed of 4 squares.

o Then, click on the "Change" link in the "Guest Access" square. 

o That will show you your guest pw and/or allow you to enable guest access.

 

One thing that's kind of curious is why my older Color Nooks had no problem connecting and did not re-direct to the guest network.

 

HTH


This is strange - you should NOT have to connect to the guest network to connect.  I don't think you'll have any problems if you are connected to the guest network as I don't think you'll likely need the additional functionality, but I do think it's strange.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
323
207
177
120
114
Users Online
Currently online: 35 members 539 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: