Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Dresh
0 Kudos

Re: not connecting to my wifi connection

Michael-V wrote:

Try this...

1.  Tap on the WiFi tab.

2. Tap on the Wi-Fi hotspot

3.  Tap on the connected Wifi (the one that has the check mark)

4. Tap on Forget

5.  Reboot your NOOK (Hold the power button down for about 20 seconds.  Then hold down the power button for about 4 seconds to restart)

6.  Scan again for Wifi hotspots and then reconnect.

Please let me know if this worked for you...

This worked perfectly, thank you!

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
New User
walkerb
0 Kudos

Hoping for some clarification here. My father (82) is having a helluva time connecting his Nook Color to wifi at home. He has spent countless hours on the phone with both Barnes and Noble and Netgear (router)

Last night I went over to try to help, and my Nook color will not connect in his house either. I see on my nook I have software 1.2. I didnt even know there were other versions. Is 1.7 the latest and how do you install that? His router is Netgear WRN1000, he has two laptops, and a printer connected wirelessly now.

Contributor
MikeF_NJ
0 Kudos

walkerb wrote:

Hoping for some clarification here. My father (82) is having a helluva time connecting his Nook Color to wifi at home. He has spent countless hours on the phone with both Barnes and Noble and Netgear (router)

Last night I went over to try to help, and my Nook color will not connect in his house either. I see on my nook I have software 1.2. I didnt even know there were other versions. Is 1.7 the latest and how do you install that? His router is Netgear WRN1000, he has two laptops, and a printer connected wirelessly now.

sorry I'm not going to be any help with your father's WiFi issues, but just to clarify, Version 1.7 is the current firmware for the N1E (Nook WiFi and Nook WiFi+3G).  For a Nook Color, I believe that Version 1.2 is the latest firmware.

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

walkerb,

Very first thing to check is to see what his SSID is.  Hopefully it is not the default of "netgear".  Make sure it is something unique.  Nooks will work with suppressed SSIDs, but it is a heck of a lot easier to use broadcast SSIDs.

Second, use a computer program like inSSIDer to look at channel usage in his area.  There are 11 channels for use in the US, but the default for most WiFi routers is channel 6.  Find a channel which is relatively clear of other signals.

Then, find out what kind of security protocol is being used.  Options are: None, WEP, WPA, and WPA2.  The best is WPA2.  If he is using WEP, it does not offer very good security.  Further, if the security is WEP, the authentication can be either Open or Shared Key.  Nooks do not like Shared.  You will need to know the passkey or passphrase for the security protocol.  A passkey is a hexadecimal code using 0-9 and A-F characters.  A passphrase is a standard 0-9, A-Z, a-z, and special character code which can be used to generate a passkey.  Neither the passkey nor the passphrase is the same as the password used to get into the router configs.

Check to make sure that the access control list is not turned on.  If it is turned on, you will need to add the Nook's MAC address to the access list.

Also try setting the WNR1000 to the b/g mode only (on the WNR1000 select mode "Up to 54 Mbps", not the automatic b/g/n mode of "Up to 150 Mbps").

New User
pjPH
0 Kudos

I hate my NOOK!  I may try entering the NOOK stuff into router as you suggest; nothing else works.  I have "excellent" connectivity but have to drive to town to use the dang thing.  Works as  well as the BN website, I fear.

New User
JodieCommiato

Re: FIX!! not connecting to my wifi connection FIX!!

Do this, it worked for me!!

New User
CAT8

Accepted Solution  Nook WiFi Connection Issues & Verizon Actiontec Router [ New ]

After updating to the latest software and simultaneously changing my wireless provider to Verizon, I realized that my Nook no longer connected to wifi in my home. After searching various blogs and websites and finding no solution that worked, I called the B&N help desk (a frustrating experience as usual). Of course, without asking me what I tried already, I got told to do all of the inane things they are "supposed" to tell you - turn off the Nook and the Wi-Fi, turn them back on again, forget the network, reconnect and re-enter your password, reset the router blah blah blah. After telling the guy that I did ALL of this already and none of it worked, he told me to go to my nearest B&N and try to connect there. I told him I did & it worked just fine. While this ridiculousness went on (I was on the phone for 35 minutes), I decided to take one last look around cyber space to see if I could obtain some help for the issue that my 'qualified' customer support representative was unable to give me. Please note, this is not the first time that I've called B&N, been on the phone for ridiculous amounts of time, and still had to solve my own issue. And EUREKA! There it was: the solution to my issue. Since B&N does not let you set a static IP, the lease sometimes expires, rendering you unable to connect to the internet until you are issued a new IP address or the old one renews itself. In lay terms, this means that depending on your router settings, you may only be able to connect every so often - highly irritating. With the software update, it appears that that renewal sometimes does not happen at all, thereby leaving some of us unable to connect to the internet. The fix? Set a static IP address within your router! 

1. Go to your router's IP address (you may have to call your cable provider to obtain this if you don't have it or simply connect through the computer wired to the router)

2. Type in your user name and password

3. Turn on your nook

4. Click on your network within wireless settings and "Forget" the network

5. Go back to the main settings page, go to Device Info, About Your Nook, and locate the Wi-Fi MAC address

6. (This part is router specific but if you can figure out where this information is in your router, the steps should be the same) Go to Advanced --> IP Address Distribution

7. Hit the button that says Connection List

8. Look for your Nook's MAC address on your list. If it is there, press the Edit button (the notepad with the pencil) and click the box that says static IP.

9. If it is not there, scroll to the bottom and hit New Static Connection. Enter a host name (no spaces), the IP address that you want to use (be sure that it's a valid address. Look at your other addresses on the connection list page to see one within the correct number range that is available), and that MAC address from your Nook.

10. Hit apply, go back to your Nook's wireless settings, re-enter your password, and you should be good to go!!!

Hope this helps!!!

New User
beachmama
0 Kudos

I am having this problem

Reader
MRMan52

I have been having the same problem ever since the software upgrade.

Most of the answers I have seen are totally unacceptable.  I should not and will not go into my router to reconfigure what was and still is working perferctly well for the sack of the nook.

B&N softwear people should go into THEIR software and fix the problem.

That's what they are paid for and what I expect.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

MRMan52 wrote:

I have been having the same problem ever since the software upgrade.

Most of the answers I have seen are totally unacceptable.  I should not and will not go into my router to reconfigure what was and still is working perferctly well for the sack of the nook.

B&N softwear people should go into THEIR software and fix the problem.

That's what they are paid for and what I expect.

There are international standards dictating how WiFi devices negotiate connections.

Given that the NOOK works with most WiFi router brands and models, and only fails with certain revisions of your WiFi router, are you sure that it is the NOOK that is non compliant and not your router? How?

Reader
JWRyan-Boston
0 Kudos

I am having exactly the same trouble.  The only place my Nook reader will now connect to is the B&N store.  This worked fined until the upgrade. Now, by home router, the guest wifi at the hospital - none of them work.  By the way, this is not true of the Nook color - it works just fine. 

New User
tracey32TS
0 Kudos

I'm not sure which Nook you have, but I have the Simple Touch and am experiencing the same problem.  I'm not sure which router you have, but I have the Westell5718.  I have learned that Barnes & Noble are having issues with this router.  If this is your situation, the only way to rectify it is to get a new router.  It must also be 802.11g

New User
brmckee
0 Kudos

New User
kbugbee
0 Kudos

is there  a wps pin? i was able to connect my phone and tv to my wireless router and now i want to connect my nook and i cant.

New User
dmp67
0 Kudos

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! This worked.

New User
Darlie
0 Kudos

This worked perfectly for me. Thanks!

New User
Greyfoxmce
0 Kudos

Had the same problem today! (Typically as we are about to go on holiday!!) Downloaded a book, so clearly the device was connected to the Wifi. Even started a temporary hotspot using my phone but the nook kept asking for a wifi connection to validate the license. I fixed it by holding down the power button to completely shut the Nook down (not just put it in standby mode) gave it a minute then powered it back up. It automatically connected to our wifi and both the new books loaded. :smileyhappy: so a simple power cycle saves the day as it does with so many bits of tech lol. Hopefully this will work for you?

New User
damekay
0 Kudos

Thanks this worked for me.  What a relief.  I thought I was in for a complicated procedure.

New User
Aprilgale
0 Kudos

New User
62slb
0 Kudos

Re: FIX!! not connecting to my wifi connection FIX!!

I tried this and when I hit "apply" my status came up as a  "expired". I don't know what else to try. :smileysad:

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 22 members 207 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: