Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
momo2

not connecting to my wifi connection

I am trying to connect to my home wifi and my nook sees the connection.  For some reason it will not connect to it even though it can see it and says the signal is good.  It has connected before and I have never had a problem with this connection.  What is up?  Any suggestions?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Re: not connecting to my wifi connection

You probably need to change the configuration on your Wi-Fi router. The most common problems are if the router is set up to work only with Shared Key authentication (NOOK uses Open Key), or if the router is set up with MAC filtering to allow only existing devices to talk to it.

This thread may or may not be of any help: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Q-A-and-Support/Configuring-various-Wi-Fi-routers-please...

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

You probably need to change the configuration on your Wi-Fi router. The most common problems are if the router is set up to work only with Shared Key authentication (NOOK uses Open Key), or if the router is set up with MAC filtering to allow only existing devices to talk to it.

But Doug, if the OP hasn't made any changes to his/her home network why would the nook all of a sudden not connect ??  The OP stated that "It has connected before and I have never had a problem with this connection."  Granted, I don't know for sure that no changes had been made but I am assuming that the OP would have mentioned if anything had changed.  Curious . . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Contributor
jpsjewel
0 Kudos

I had the same problem with my wireless router.  I reset it and everything connected again.  Try unplugging it for 5 seconds and wait for the lights to stop blinking.

Wordsmith
Michael-V

@momo2,

Try this...

1.  Tap on the WiFi tab.

2. Tap on the Wi-Fi hotspot

3.  Tap on the connected Wifi (the one that has the check mark)

4. Tap on Forget

5.  Reboot your NOOK (Hold the power button down for about 20 seconds.  Then hold down the power button for about 4 seconds to restart)

6.  Scan again for Wifi hotspots and then reconnect.

Please let me know if this worked for you...

Contributor
Malinessa
0 Kudos

For some reason I am experiencing the same problem. I was going to connect my nook to our home network tonight and it simply would not connect. It has been connected fine in the past, nothing has changed on either side, my phone and other items are connecting fine to the router.

I tried forgetting the network and then restarting my nook; nothing.

I tried restarting my router; nothing.

Not sure what to do now. My nook finds the network fine, it allows me to try to connect, enter password and so on. Then it thinks about it for a good long while ("connecting to <networkname>") but in the end it doesn't connect. It flashes an error message real fast ("connecting to <networkname> failed"), and then simply says "disconnected".

I have double checked the password. I also tried connecting using the "other hotspot" option, and still nothing.

My nook is up to date (1.4.0) and I am using a Linksys Wireless-N Broadband Router.

Anyone out there have any ideas?

Contributor
Malinessa
0 Kudos

Malinessa wrote:

For some reason I am experiencing the same problem. I was going to connect my nook to our home network tonight and it simply would not connect. It has been connected fine in the past, nothing has changed on either side, my phone and other items are connecting fine to the router.

I tried forgetting the network and then restarting my nook; nothing.

I tried restarting my router; nothing.

Not sure what to do now. My nook finds the network fine, it allows me to try to connect, enter password and so on. Then it thinks about it for a good long while ("connecting to <networkname>") but in the end it doesn't connect. It flashes an error message real fast ("connecting to <networkname> failed"), and then simply says "disconnected".

I have double checked the password. I also tried connecting using the "other hotspot" option, and still nothing.

My nook is up to date (1.4.0) and I am using a Linksys Wireless-N Broadband Router.

Anyone out there have any ideas?

Alright, actually figured it out. There was a mac filter on the router that for some reason was filtering the nook out now when it hadn't been before. No idea why, but obviously once the nook mac address was entered into the router it worked fine again.

Just figured I'd post in case it'd happen to help someone else out there. :smileyhappy:

Good reading, everyone!

New User
scottl
0 Kudos

MINE DOES THE EXACT SAME THING, IT SAYS SIGNAL IS EXCELLENT BUT WHEN I TYPE THE PASSWORD IN ABOUT A MIN OR 2 IT TAKES ME BACK TO ASKING FOR PASSWORD, SEEMS THE NOOK ISNT WHAT THEY ADVERTIZED ?????

New User
OdoylesRule
0 Kudos

@Michael-V, or any other admin on this board...

I am having the same problem. 

Yes, I can follow your 1,2,3 steps and reconnect, but every time the Nook goes into power save mode or I turn off Wi-Fi to save battery life I have to do the same thing... over and over and over again. Obviously this shouldn't be.

I'm on firmware 1.5.0 and my router is an Apple Time Capsule.  Is there a fix in the works for this or do I have to rediscover, reconnect, and reenter the password for my wireless network every day?

New User
br_la_man
0 Kudos

I had this problem connecting my Nook Color to my Apple Time Capsule.  The Nook would see the network and accept the password (and fail if I entered the incorrect password).  It would say it was acquiring and IP address, but failed shortly after that.

The solution for me was to change the Wireless Security setting on the Time Capsule using the AirPort Utility from "WEP Transitional" to "WPA/WPA2 Personal".

After I made this change, the Nook connected immediately without me even re-entering the password.   All my other wireless devices (MacBook Air and IPhone) remained connected without any issue.

Hope this help folks out!

New User
ChrisDeSilva
0 Kudos

I had the same problem, of my nook not

connecting to my home WI FI, even though

the connection was good. I reset me modem

(unplugged and reconnected power on the modem)

and this solved the problem.

New User
smlsa2004
0 Kudos

Well, at least you have been connected at one time, I can't get past the registration screen.  It recognizes the wifi network says "Remembered, secured with WEP" and then slips into obtaining address.  I can't do anything with it at this point.  When I plug it into my home computer, it doesn't even see that a new device has been plugged in.  Very very frustrated at this point, and I work in the High Tech industry and I can't get this to work.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
@smissa2004, Have you tried to forget your network? Also, are you able to go to a B&N store & try there? If you are able to connect there, you'll know for sure that it's a setting on your router and not the nook itself.
New User
RussellC
0 Kudos

I am having the same issues.  All of a suddenly, my nook will not connect wirelessly.  Some people have suggested that it might be home router issues but it has problems connecting when I am in the B&N store.  Basically, everything I used to be able to connect to, is not working.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

RussellC wrote:

I am having the same issues.  All of a suddenly, my nook will not connect wirelessly.  Some people have suggested that it might be home router issues but it has problems connecting when I am in the B&N store.  Basically, everything I used to be able to connect to, is not working.

Take it in to the store and have them look at it.  If it's not connecting in store it's possibly a hardware issue with the nook.

New User
tabb
0 Kudos

My nook will connect to my wireless network (connected - signal strength excellent) but I'm unable to buy books or do anything else - I couldn't register it when I first got it but when I  took it to my daughter's house it worked fine and I was able to register and buy books.  I'm assuming it must but a router issue (I'm using a Belkin N+ router) but I'm technologically challenged and have no idea how to go about fixing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

Everyone:

1)  What kind of Nook are you using?  Nook WiFi+3G (N1E), Nook WiFi (N1E), Nook Color, or new Nook Simple Touch Reader (N2E / Nook STR)?

2)  What firmware revision (For the Nook STR it will be 1.0)?

3)  Are you getting a WiFi cannot connect message?  Or are you getting a network unavailable message after you connect to the WiFi?

4)  Can you use the Nook to get to the Internet, like www.google.com?

New User
tabb
0 Kudos

I have a nook wifi (N1E), running 1.5.0, no error messages, connects fine to the Internet, just can't do anything B&N related.

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

tabb,

Check all of your B&N account settings.  If you stored a credit card, make sure it is up to date.  Use a computer to do this. 

New User
RussellC
0 Kudos

I was using version 1.5 of the nook software. I had connection problems. I downloaded the 1.7 version of the nook software and manually installed it. Everything started working just fine. Looking back on what I have been reading about the issues of version 1.6 of the nook software, I wonder if my connection issues were deliberate by B&N so that I would not update to version 1.6. Everything is working good now.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 272 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: