Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
dajc1952
0 Kudos

public library downloads

How do I download ebooks from a public library?

Frequent Contributor
pensivegem
0 Kudos

Re: public library downloads

I know you can search for this topic because I have explained how to do this before in another thread.

You will most likely need to download Adobe Digital Editions.

Then you search online for an ebook using your library's website.  The size of ebook libraries vary widely.  I live in NYC, so I'm lucky, but I'd imagine the smaller your library system, the fewer books you'd have to choose from.  That said, ebook libraries are consistently growing.

Anyhow, then you check it out using the library's website.  Download it.  Open it, using ADE.  Plug in your nook.  The nook icon will show up on ADE.  Drag the book icon to the nook icon, like you would using a USB drive.  The book should now open up on your nook. 

That is how I have done it every time with EPub and PDF files.  It's worked every time.  Using the library this way is awesome.  Never actually have to go to the library and no late fees.  Amazing.

Inspired Contributor
dessine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yep, that's the way to do it. I borrowed an ebook from my local library the day I got my nook - it was the first thing I did! Works great!

As far as selection goes...a few months ago my library didn't really have much I was interested in, but now they have a lot! I talk to the librarians and let them know how much I like the selection and make ebook requests online a lot. You have to let them know what you want - let them know you want ebooks!!! They will listen (it does take time and money, though, so be patient).

Wordsmith
Critteranne
0 Kudos

If your library has Overdrive, go to the library's website. There is probably a link that says "Download audiobooks." Then click the Overdrive link. (Overdrive provides both audiobooks and e-books.) You'll probably end up at a page that says "Welcome to the Blah blah blah library digital consortium."

Then your best bet is to click Advanced Search because if you're looking for files you can view on the nook, you'll need ePub. So on the Advanced Search page, specify Adobe ePub as the format. Also, it's a good idea to click "Only show titles with copies available." After you've searched and found a title you want, click it and click add to cart. You'll then have to sign in with your library card to be able to add it to your cart. You'll also have to download the Overdrive software to be able to download the file. There will probably be other restrictions as well. With audiobooks, for example, you are sometimes not allowed to copy the file onto a device. :smileyindifferent: That's why I always look at the descriptions and only pick ones that allow me to transfer the file.

The files are only available for a limited time (like a library book), but you don't have to return it. The file will simply stop working. I've only tried it for audibooks, and it's easier than it sounds. Also, with audiobooks, they have some "always available" content -- that's useful when you can't find the book you want. My library doesn't have "always available" e-books, as far as I can tell, but there are always sites like Project Gutenberg for free classics, etc. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
Evrosado
0 Kudos

dajc1952 wrote:

How do I download ebooks from a public library?

This is a great place to start Overdrive.com

The site will give you all the info you'll need regarding borrowing books from the library for your Nook.  I love it.

Evelyn
Reader 2
bi-crafty
0 Kudos

Amazing! I never even thought to go to the library website. I live in NYC as well, and the NYPL has a pretty nice collection of books. Love it! Thanks for the tip!

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

My signature has a good link to a thread regarding how to get the book to your nook.  Look for a post from Michael V.  It'll become second nature once you do it a few times.

Inspired Correspondent
Technologirl
0 Kudos

Critteranne wrote:

Then your best bet is to click Advanced Search because if you're looking for files you can view on the nook, you'll need ePub. So on the Advanced Search page, specify Adobe ePub as the format. ...

The files are only available for a limited time (like a library book), but you don't have to return it. The file will simply stop working. I've only tried it for audibooks, and it's easier than it sounds. Also, with audiobooks, they have some "always available" content -- that's useful when you can't find the book you want. My library doesn't have "always available" e-books, as far as I can tell, but there are always sites like Project Gutenberg for free classics, etc. :smileyhappy:

PDF works fine too, my public library offers both Epub and PDF.

Also, I believe if you return the book when you are finished, rather than waiting for it to "expire," it becomes available to others on the waiting list.

Many recent releases in my area have a waiting list of over 20 people, so it's common courtesy to return the book when you're finished.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Technologirl wrote:

Also, I believe if you return the book when you are finished, rather than waiting for it to "expire," it becomes available to others on the waiting list.

Many recent releases in my area have a waiting list of over 20 people, so it's common courtesy to return the book when you're finished.

Yes!  I always "return" mine when I'm finished so the next person can get it. 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 68 members 828 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: