Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
t_k_thorn
0 Kudos

"Lost" gift cards

Has anyone else experienced the disappearance of gift cards from their account? Had three listed that disappeared completely. The values on them are okay, and had to load them on the account again.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Re: "Lost" gift cards

Never seen this before.

As long as the correct balances remained and you were able to get them back on the account, I wouldn't worry too much.

My guess (totally conjectural) would be with all the changes to the site recently something refreshed that shouldn't have.

Reader 2
eglesgrl
0 Kudos

I just discovered the same problem yesterday. I had 2 gift cards entered but they disappeared. I called customer service but they had no answer for what may have happened. I'm glad to hear the values are ok. I hope mine are too, I didn't check yet.

Contributor
t_k_thorn
0 Kudos

I just took a customer service survey emailed to me. I let them know that while the rep was very courteous and helpful, I was disappointed that no reason for the glitch was given, and no reassurance that it wouldn't happen again.

Reader 2
MelissaDee
0 Kudos

I just had this happen to me today and I do not have the card anymore to enter again! I bought a $40 gift card and only used about $15 of that before it went back to using my credit card for billing. I checked my account and my gift card balance is gone! It is not showing I had a gift card at all on there! I am so angry! I emailed customer service and am waiting to see what they say!

Reader 2
eglesgrl
0 Kudos

Good Luck,

I spoke with customer service and was told that unless I still had the cards to re-enter, I was out of luck. Luckily for me, I found them so I should be ok. They need to look into this problem, there are at least  three of us and I would guess many more that don't even know it yet.

Contributor
Akoforever
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Call B&N, Ask for a supervisor, they can help look up gift cards if you've used it on previous orders.   If you never used it on an order before, they wont' have record of it if it's already missing from your account.

Frequent Contributor
nathan_kull
0 Kudos

My gift card was lost on my account (noticed today) as well, which is annoying since I always keep gift card balances on the account so that they DON'T charge my CC ... Glad to see that this is not normal, fairly new nook user.

Reader 2
MelissaDee
0 Kudos

I called customer service on Sunday to figure out what could be done to resolve this. I was able to tell him the day I added the gift card to my account, the two books purchased with the gift card, etc. After investigating on his end as well as verifying information, he said they would mail me a gift card with the remaining balance, $25, and I should get it within two weeks. Going forward I will put my gift cards up in case this happens again, but I hope it is resolved to avoid others going through this hassle.

Distinguished Correspondent
AikiPen
0 Kudos

Had the gift card disappear from my daughter's account over the weekend. Had put enough money on it for a couple of books she wanted, checked her account and the money was on the card. Bought the books and they were charged to my credit card and the gift card info was gone. My daughter is 10 so she must go through me to buy a book. I do have the physical card, got the cool N1 Kate Spade cover with all the pockets when it went on sale for 75% off. Have 2 B&N stores in town, one will not reload a gift card and the other will, guess where I shop. Anyway, I always know where the physical cards are and what is on them.

This business of dropping the gift card info from an account especially after I had just checked is very strange and disappointing. Have not contacted CS but will if it happens again. I re-entered daughter's gift card and it had the right amount on it and currently seems to be fine but between that and unwanted samples in my account B&N scores a D- from me.

HMY
Contributor
HMY
0 Kudos

Oh my gosh.  My gift cards disappeared todady.  I'm on a tight budget and am a little concerned.  I still had at least $15 dollars left.  But I no longer have the physical gift cards (which I won't do again).  Was calling customer service helpful?  Were people able to get money back?

Frequent Contributor
ColleenBland

This is definitely not a "typical" problem. It is very possible that all the changes taking place on .com had something to do with this unfortunate situation. I would definitely reccomend the service number or even better your local Barnes and Noble. Even though they don't have access to personal account info, they should be able to call customer service with you and perhaps expidite your service! For future reference though, here are some tips with gift cards:

You can have up to three on an account at any given time. Your nook will automatically charge the smallest, then the next, then the largest gift card before charging your credit card.

Your gift card is a payment method, no money has actually been transferred from the gift card until you purchase something. So, technical difficulties aside, you should always keep track of your gift card because even if it is on your account, if someone uses the physical card in the store, the gift card balance will be removed from your account. Likewise, you could also use the same gift card in the store if you wanted to, and the amount would be deducted from what is available online along with your gift card balance.

Most Barnes & Noble stores will reload a gift card if it is the type with the magnetic strip that they can swipe. If there is still money on the gift card, then the online account will be updated. If the balance is $0.00 before you re-load it, you will have to re-enter it online.

You can purchase a new gift card with an old one. If you have several gift cards, instead of waiting for the first three to be used up and then entering the next one, stop into a store and buy one gift card in the total amount of the others. Then there is only one for you to keep track of and one balance to worry about: just don't lose it!

Once a gift card is in the account, it becomes the automatic payment method for most things. The exception is subscriptions to periodicals. Because these are an automatic charge authorized by the mag or news companies, they will always come off of your credit card.

Even if you have a huge gift card in the account, you must have a default credit card with some sort of balance available to it. So if your CC expired, or is overdrawn, your download will be locked whether there was a gift card or not in the account. The CC is always authorized for a penny even though no charge was applied to it.

That is pretty much everything I know about gift cards. Hope it helps anyone having problems!

Frequent Contributor
thatdbaclk
0 Kudos

Lesson Learned! LOL I found GC missing now too!  Going to do more investigation later...But I know the CC is at 0.00 balance! But the GC should still be there! Hope some one  in BN CS can do a Trace of this accounting Information!

$60.00 bucks in GC Gone....

I just updated the device from 1.0.0 to 1.4 hope that was not caused it!

Another Android Device (Nook Color)! Looking forward to the day I can use One Device Big Enough Screen Wise for: Phone and Surfing the Net.....this NC is Just Right!
New User
mytrishgirl
0 Kudos

This happened to me in December so the problem is not fixed.

I was on with customer service several times, as I did not keep the card.

I had an online gift card in my e-mail and reloaded that one.

At first they told me that I should have kept the card.  I hadn't because of it being automatic when I purchased a book.

After several calls to different customer service agents they could see that I had only used $8 of a $25 card. I recieved a new card for the difference in the mail this week!!!

Frequent Contributor
thatdbaclk

As my Luck would have it....I found the old ones I thought I threw in the trash! Sure enough re entered the information and bam....there was the $$$$. Lesson Learned:

Don't throw away any type of Gift Card till you know you have used ever last dime!

Another Android Device (Nook Color)! Looking forward to the day I can use One Device Big Enough Screen Wise for: Phone and Surfing the Net.....this NC is Just Right!
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

thatdbaclk wrote:

As my Luck would have it....I found the old ones I thought I threw in the trash! Sure enough re entered the information and bam....there was the $$$$. Lesson Learned:

Don't throw away any type of Gift Card till you know you have used ever last dime!

Also, anyone who retrieved your gift card from the trash could spend it. Another reason not to throw them away until they're completely worthless.

Reader
kari_d
0 Kudos

I had this happen to be a bunch. I'd put in gift cards from birthday, xmas, mother's day - then the next time I ordered it went on my credit card. I went to see and all my gift cards were gone. I re-entered them, and 2 disappeared again. I rentered a third time. Luckily I still had them physically on my desk so I could re-enter the number, otherwise they would have totally been lost.

New User
mojito
0 Kudos

This has happened to me twice now.  Even after speaking to a BN rep.  Hard to believe that BN could bungle this so badly.  I've asked freinds and relatives to no longer give me BN gift cards and I no longer give them out myself.  Lukiy I have a rooted nook with CM7 so I'm able to purchase and read ebooks from other retailers.

New User
Psteele
0 Kudos

Heads-up this is still an issue as of April 2013. I use my Nook pretty rarely this these days but went to order today and found what I recollected as nearly a $100 balance in my online account was at zero.

Through a combination of looking up past purchases the B&N folks over the phone were able to recreate things and locate the two gift cards and PINS I had stored. This took the better part of an hour between the web chat and calling Customer Support and spending lots of time on hold as the rep went back and forth manually between systems that one would think would be linked.  

So on one hand, thanks for getting my dollars put back in place but this isn't confidence-inspiring. I now hestitate to enter a gift card balance as I (and a lot of others) have found missing. The phone rep noted the issue and wanted to transfer me to yet someone else but I don't any more time to devote to this. I got the feeling that B&N wouldn't have minded me just giving up and leaving the balance out in neverland. Losing a hundred bucks wouldn't have been the end of the world for me but $100 is still real money.  

So, I either have to trust this won't happen again, which reading up the thread isn't too a safe bet or keep duplicated, paper records & physical gift cards to document my online accounts and e-purchases, which really isn't practical when one is operating on a digital environment.

I like my Nook and am pulling for B&N both online and brick and mortar, but this just isn't acceptable. Bottom line for me is I don't trust the Nook and the infrastructure behind it and will continue to migrate to my Kindle account on my Galaxy Note II. Henry Ford once said it's better to make $100 from a man five times than $150 once. I'm looking at you B&N. 

Wordsmith
tmr4

Giftcards seem to disappear every once in a while. I've had it happen two times over several years. I just save the giftcard to reenter. I've never lost any money. The amount I thought I had is always what is there on reentry.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 29 members 640 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: