Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
ParanoidAndroid
0 Kudos

"The Daily" Crashing...Every time

So... just got my nook a few days ago and everything seemed fine until I decided to try out "the daily."  Everytime I go into that section the nook appears to be downloading the content, a couple new items appear and BAM the thing crashes and goes to either the screensaver or the homescreen, try again, same result.  It isn't the screensaver timeout making this happen, it is definitely crashing when trying to load the content. I know I have decent AT&T 3g coverage where I am as I have an AT&T 3G phone that always has 4 or 5 bars of connectivity. I have tried rebooting, removing/reinserting the battery, resetting to factory settings, any other hints/tips would be appreciated.

Inspired Contributor
tattooedmommie
0 Kudos

Re: "The Daily" Crashing...Every time

What software version are you running?

-- Jonna

When the Power of Love becomes stronger than the Love of Power, the world will know peace - Jimi Hendrix
New User
ParanoidAndroid
0 Kudos

1.2, it did an over the air update right when I took it out of the box and registered.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Ok, THAT'S a new one on me.

I think your best bet is to call CS on this one, since it is a brand new device.

You could try a factory reset.

There is also something called a Manual Reset. http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/nook-Q-A-and-Support/Library-Won-t-Open-Called-Customer-Servi...

But I would Call Customer Services before doing either of those things.

Inspired Contributor
tattooedmommie
0 Kudos

totally agree with Icebike, with updated software and all, I'd call CS for sure.

-- Jonna

When the Power of Love becomes stronger than the Love of Power, the world will know peace - Jimi Hendrix
New User
ParanoidAndroid
0 Kudos

That manual reset did the trick!  Did that and then made sure to not do an OTA update to 1.2 but instead download it myself.   Am loading Daily content now, which, unfortunately isn't even that great (yet).

Inspired Contributor
tattooedmommie
0 Kudos

Haha I totally agree.. The Daily to me is useless, I would LOVE to enjoy turning on my Nook every day in anticipation of something relevant to me in my "Daily" but alas..  :smileyhappy:

-- Jonna

Contributor
muppet
0 Kudos

Mine is doing this same thing AFTER a factory reset done by a B&N rep in a store trying to fix my clock which never updated for Daylight Savings time (an acknowledged bug).

It was working fine before.  Now it crashes every time.  My nook CAME with 1.2 (just bought it this past weekend) and a factory reset just removes my sideloaded content and my registration info.  The software revision is still 1.2.

I guess I shouldn't have let anybody from B&N monkey with it.  :smileysad:

New User
ParanoidAndroid
0 Kudos

Yeah my clock has updated for DST either....Not going to mess with it.  I will say that this thing has been quite buggy, unfortunately...

Reader
sbhnet
0 Kudos

Just got my nook yesterday and after spending over an hour on the phone with BN tech support and doing a manual reset (and reloading content), I was able to open my book, but no time change and NOW I'm having the same Daily crashing problem.  Funny thing is, it worked fine yesterday.  Read everything listed.  <sigh>

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

After reading the above problems I decided to check out my Daily.

For Friday March 18th I only have two items in my Daily, the Dave Barry piece and the More in Store piece.

Did anyone else get the grin and tonic and the other articles today?

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

Larry,

I just did an update to the daily, I have everything I should.  The usual  your nook, my mag subscription, grin & tonic, daybook, getting to know your nook and unbound, all up to date.

Also, I don't know if it matters but I accessed it through wifi not 3G.

Reader
sbhnet
0 Kudos

WiFi worked for me too.  Probably because I only have one bar with AT&T where I am...

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

I'm still only getting "Your New Nook and More In Store.

I'm also connected via WiFi.

This is the first time I've had trouble with it.

I wonder why that happened.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

I wonder if B&N is having server problems.  I had trouble logging in to the bookclub site this morninig.  Clicking on sign in accomplished nothing, I could sign into my account, I even bought a book, but signing on the bookclub site was a no no, until I clicked on Register and then suddenly, I was logged in.  All this even though Firefox is set to remember me at this site.  Strange.

PS:  It wasn't Firefox because I had the same problem with IE.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

@Ed_Mart,

I had similar problems this morning (also using Firefox).

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

@Ed_Mart,

Me too.  I'm on Firefox 3.6.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

LarryOnLI wrote:

@Ed_Mart,

Me too.  I'm on Firefox 3.6.

Ditto!

Frequent Contributor
Delenn1
0 Kudos

I think they are having problems with the server or the 3G network.  The daily would not update until I switched to WiFi.

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

Delenn1 wrote:

I think they are having problems with the server or the 3G network.  The daily would not update until I switched to WiFi.

Experienced the same thing today (Sat 3/20).  I had switched off my WIFI while on the road yesterday, leaving 3g active.  I switched wifi back on and the Daily came right up.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 330 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: