Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Kieran51
0 Kudos

Re: "The Daily" Crashing.Every time

Does it matter that I have Verizon wireless? My problem with the Daily started recently. I have owned my Nook since December.

KIOR
Contributor
Kieran51
0 Kudos

The Failure of the daily to run properly

I want to know why it is that my recent tries at accessing the daily on my nook fail. Once the new articles appear for the day; it shuts down and returns to my "front" page. I never had trouble with this until recently.  

KIOR
Contributor
steveglad
0 Kudos

Re: The Failure of the daily to run properly

A few days ago, I started to have the same problem.  It happens when the daily updates through the AT&T network.  When I update the daily on Wi-fi, it works OK. Strange…..

Contributor
Kieran51
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info. I have Verizon at home and once in awhile I get a message that tells me of a failure to connect. I wondered if if might have something to do with the occasional subscriptions that I try out? It is very annoying to say the least.

KIOR
TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Contributor
JBump30
0 Kudos

Re: "The Daily" Crashing..Every time

I got an email from Digital Support , ie Nook Tech Support for me to call them.  They walked me through a series of six system restorations.  So, I lost all my bookmarks and extra screensavers, etc.  Basically took me back to day one. Then the system updated me back to v1.2 on the saftware version.  When I finshed this entire process, I was able to get the daily updates without crashing.  However, it only worked for two days!  Today, I tried to ge tthe daily and my system crashed back to the default start screen and will not download the daily at all.  I have to submit another complaint with tech support!

New User
MtnReaderJE
0 Kudos

Re: "The Daily" Crashing...Every time

I've been having the same problem for about a week now.  When I first got my Nook several weeks ago, everything worked fine.  Suddenly, when I check The Daily, only the Dave Barry article was available.  I had the Nook check for new B & N content.  It downloaded the daily and then almost immediately reverted to the home page.  When I went back to The Daily, once again only the Dave Barry was there.  I've waited a few days to see if it was a server problem that would be corrected, but apparently not.  I have WiFi enabled.  I just now selected the "shop" button and tried downloading a free sample of a book I'm interested in--it downloaded with no problem.  I was able to open it up and begin reading.  So I'm wondering if this could even be a connection problem.

New User
Ereader08
0 Kudos

I would like to let everyone know about what I found out about this issue.  I purchased the nook about a week ago after my Kindle 1 screen went out.  While at first I loved my Nook I began experiencing the daily crash issue as well when using At&t instead of Wifi...I also experienced trouble downloading books through At&t with it sometimes taking up to 15 minutes for it to refresh my download on the screen (And yes I did try the "Update my B&N content" button)...Anyways I waited out a week thinking maybe it was a server issue but when the problem still wasn't fixed I decided to contact customer service.  They went through the usual take out the battery, restart the nook, re-upload the 1.2 software exc.  all without fixing this issue.  After the third time of contacting customer service I finally talked to someone who seemed to know what was going on.  They stated that Barnes & Noble is looking into the issue and that it is likely not to be a hardware issue but something through the network...that it would likely be fixed in a week or two....but beings I was experiencing other issues such as downloading books she said I could take my nook in and get a replacement beings it was withing the 14 day period. 

In the end I decided to actually return the Nook (whithout the 20% restocking fee beings I was taking it back due to technical issues).  While I like the Nook's format and looks, I missed the quickness and smoothness of my Kindle...I also found the touch screen a bit distracting.  Also I was worried about technical issues in the future as it hasn't been out very long.  We are already hearing about the crack issue on the buttons.  In the end I decided to just get a refurbished Kindle 1 for $100 and save the rest of my money until an even more improved Kindle or Nook comes out (And as a pleasant surprise Amazon agreed to send me a new not refurbished Kindle 1 for $100 :smileyhappy: YIPPY!)......Anyways, I'm not saying all this because I'm trying to support Kindle or anything (I think its more that everyone needs to decide for themselves what is the best for them, they are both cool e-readers) but to tell people who just bought the Nook that even Barnes and Noble's is saying it will be awhile before these problems are fixed...Thus, if you don't want to keep dealing with these issues you might highly think about returning it in the 14 day period you have.  (You can always use the daily crash issue as your reason to avoid the 20% restocking fee :smileyhappy:  Well, at least it worked for me anyways).

spy
New User
spy
0 Kudos

You have a lot of time to worry about who posts for what reason, tallying them up and all.

For my own self, when I buy a product I expect it to work, at least with the second or third replacement unit. I didn't sign up to be the nook focus groupie. And I expect tech support to a) tell me the truth and b) make a record of my calls and c) admit when there is a universal problem as there seems to be. I haven't read any ideas here beyond turn it off and on or take out the battery, which also seems to be a waste of time all around. Perhaps I am simple enough to hope that some tech support people monitor the comments here and are working on solutions in the 3G or the software/firmware.

I like B&N as a company so I've kept my nook beyond 14 days in spite of the problems with the daily. I haven't read much of value there anyway, when I can get it to work. I go there sometimes out of curiosity now to see if anything has changed. 

I think the nook is a more elegant solution to the ereader idea than the kindle, but I worry that without some solutions it won't survive.

And for what it's worth I appreciate hearing the problems of others and knowing they are similar to mine. They reassure me that it's not me and it's not just my nook.

Reader 2
mohmirza
0 Kudos

Same problem on my new nook. Daily crashes and reverts to the wallpaper. I called up customer support last night and the rep told me that this was a known issue which was going to be fixed with their next update. She was mum as to when would that be. Does anyone has any idea ?

Distinguished Correspondent
Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

They don't tell us. I don't mind. I like surprises!

New User
Battymommie
0 Kudos

I've been having the same issue @ home but, in my local Barnes & Noble everything works just fine. (go get your FREE stuff) I find it interesting that I receive my New York Times Book Review through My Daily @ home but not grin & tonic and daybook.  There have been some things I've caught glimpses of that I REALLY would have like to have read, anyone know how to get back postings or is it over when it's over.  I love my nook.  It has become a part of my reading addiction.  I have my physical books, my audio books and now my ebooks. :smileywink: I look forward to hearing about the fix or the update.  Read on & enjoy the journey.

Contributor
Kieran51
0 Kudos

My poor Nook did more than crash and burn. It did a crash and swim. I will be recieving a replacement Nook in a few days. I just wonder if the "Crash" will happen with the new one. 

KIOR
Reader
mom25in5
0 Kudos

Hey All;

I've been reading with interest everyone's posts.  I have one thing to add...I noticed Monday that I no longer had 3G. My kids read in the car and the immediate download is great. No luck on Monday!

I called CS on Tuesday only to have to reset to factory settings (lost everything personal) and then after that the rep told me their 3G servers were down. Completely.  Not sure when they're getting fixed- please call back.

So I called back today. To be told they're still down.  Hoping to fix them today.  So all you nook users who are having issues with 3G - hold on - maybe they'll be fixed by Monday.

kimi

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

mom25in5 wrote:

Hey All;

I've been reading with interest everyone's posts.  I have one thing to add...I noticed Monday that I no longer had 3G. My kids read in the car and the immediate download is great. No luck on Monday!

I called CS on Tuesday only to have to reset to factory settings (lost everything personal) and then after that the rep told me their 3G servers were down. Completely.  Not sure when they're getting fixed- please call back.

So I called back today. To be told they're still down.  Hoping to fix them today.  So all you nook users who are having issues with 3G - hold on - maybe they'll be fixed by Monday.

kimi

B&N does not have "3G" servers.   

B&N only has servers, the same servers are used for 3G and Wifi access.

B&N's servers are not down.  My daily updated just fine today.  Once over WiFi, the next time over 3G.

You don't need 3G to update the Daily,  Regular old Rural EDGE works fine.

So basically, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Reader
kitsy
0 Kudos

I just bought my Nook a few days ago and am having the same problems with the Daily crash; I wonder if it's AT&T that's the problem.  I read that the Kindle uses Sprint, which is who I have for phone service.  I have friends with AT&T phone service, and they have more connectivity problems than I do with Sprint.  I have had no problems with library downloads yet, just the Daily.

Still love my Nook, and I usually just wait till I get to the store to read the Daily.  I love the in-store freebies!!

Contributor
Kieran51
0 Kudos

I spoke with someone from B&N who is far more knowledgeable about the Nook than I am and he seems to believe that it may be a temporary software problem since the Nook is so new. I usually have to wait until I get to the store before I can access the daily.  

KIOR
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 66 members 314 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: