Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
betty2013
0 Kudos

"sorry unable to open this book" that i was already reading

HI Everyone,

I got a nook about 2 weeks ago and fell in love straight away. I finished reading my first book quickly and now half way through my new book is says "sorry unable to open this book." I've turned it on and off a few times but it still says the same thing. My other books are opening fine.

Please help. I'm sad.

Wordsmith
ProfReader

Re: "sorry unable to open this book" that i was already reading

Archive it and then unarchive it.

betty2013 wrote:

HI Everyone,

I got a nook about 2 weeks ago and fell in love straight away. I finished reading my first book quickly and now half way through my new book is says "sorry unable to open this book." I've turned it on and off a few times but it still says the same thing. My other books are opening fine.

Please help. I'm sad.

New User
betty2013
0 Kudos

Thanks you so much for your response, Prof.

Is archiving the same as deleting? how do i unarchive it?

Wordsmith
ProfReader

In your My B&N Library under Item Details and Options you will find archive.

betty2013 wrote:

Thanks you so much for your response, Prof.

Is archiving the same as deleting? how do i unarchive it?

New User
betty2013
0 Kudos

It was a free ebook (gutenberg project) so its not in My B&N Library. My only options are Read (which obviously doesn't work for this particular book) and delete.

Wordsmith
ProfReader

delete it and redownload it.

betty2013 wrote:

It was a free ebook (gutenberg project) so its not in My B&N Library. My only options are Read (which obviously doesn't work for this particular book) and delete.

New User
betty2013

I was hoping there would just be a fix, but sometimes the obvious solutions are the best

Thank you for your time :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

This has happened to me a number of times after disconnecting from USB.

It has ALWAYS been resolved by a reboot of the NOOK.

Contributor
pmw27
0 Kudos

Thanks, Prof. Your archive/unarchive solution worked for me when I couldn't open a book I had purchased after the lending period had expired.

Reader
Jinxed

I realize this is an old topic I am bumping, but I ran into this issue tonight.  It was on one of my pdf files I had gotten from a friend and side loaded.  I was halfway through the novel he is working on when the issue came up.  I found this topic, but seeing as it was not something that I could archive that would not work, so I thought to change the text size on the file, now it is working just fine. 

Hope this might help someone else out.

New User
cotterb
0 Kudos

This tip worked perfectly for me. Thanks for throwing it in even if it was a few months late.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 59 members 296 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: