Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
zoeshane
0 Kudos

read to me

How can I get my nook to read to me?

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Re: read to me

The nook has no "text to speech" capability.  About the best you can do is to load an audiobook (make sure it is in mp3 format) and listen to that.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
New User
zoeshane
0 Kudos

Thanks, where can i get the audio books from?

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Search on www.overdrive.com for a public library that you can join.   Then use the same site to search that library for mp3 books.  I don't know if wma works or not.  You have to download other software to get the books for the check out period.  Overdrive has the information.

Or, you might want to put them on your mp3 player if you're not planning to read along.  If you are, you'd need to have the actual book and the audio book.

If you're wondering about text to speech on the Kindle, it's not on all books.  I believe it's publisher driven.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

gqb wrote:

I don't know if wma works or not.

NOOK doesn't do WMA. Which is too bad, because there are usually a lot more WMA titles available, and there's no waiting for them because they can't be burned to CD so OverDrive will release all the copies that people want.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@zoeshane,

You can search for audio books right on bn.com (see link below):

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Books-on-CD-and-Cassette-Audiobooks/379001091

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Before you begin

After you purchase your first Audiobook MP3 from Barnes & Noble.com, you must download and install the Media Console. You then use that program to download audiobooks to your computer. If you have not already installed the Media Console:
You can now listen to audiobooks on that computer with the Media Console or transfer them to an iPod, iPhone, or other portable device. Follow the instructions below.

Select whether to transfer using iTunes or the Media Console wizard

If you are transferring the audiobook to an iPhone or iPod, you can use either of the following two methods. If you are transferring to a portable device that is not an iPod or iPhone, you must use the second method: the Media Console's transfer wizard.
  • For iPod and iPhone users: Import Audiobooks into iTunes and sync with your iPod or iPhone

This method allows you to manage audiobooks in iTunes the same way you manage music and allows you to put the audiobook into the Audiobooks folder on the iPod or iPhone.

Go to instructions for this method
  • For users of all portable devices, including iPod and iPhone: Use the Media Console's Transfer Wizard

This method puts the audiobook directly onto the iPod or iPhone without putting it into the iTunes Library. It also transfers any bookmarks that you may have placed in your audiobook with that Media Console feature.

Go to instructions for this method

Import Audiobooks into iTunes and sync with your iPod or iPhone

This method allows you to manage audiobooks in iTunes the same way you manage music and allows you to put the audiobook into the Audiobooks folder on the iPod or iPhone. If you are not transferring the audiobook to an iPod or iPhone, you must use the transfer wizard instead.
  1. Import the audiobook into iTunes with either of the following:
  2. Drag and drop into iTunes

• Locate the audiobook's folder on the computer's hard drive. The default location is: My Documents\My Media\MP3 Audiobooks\Title (Note: If you saved the audiobook to a different location, you can find it by using the Media Console. Open the Media Console, right click on the audiobook, select "Properties". The location will be displayed on the General tab.)
    • Open iTunes.
    • Drag and drop the entire folder into the iTunes Library. (see Figure 1)

• Figure 1 (click to enlarge)

Use the File Menu

• Open iTunes.
    • Go to the File Menu and select "Add Folder to Library".
    • Locate the audiobook's folder on the computer's hard drive. The default location is: My Documents\My Media\MP3 Audiobooks\Title (Note: If you saved the audiobook to a different location, you can find it by using the Media Console. Open the Media Console, right click on the audiobook, select "Properties". The location will be displayed on the General tab.)
    • Select the audiobook folder and click "OK". (see Figure 2)

• Figure 2 (click to enlarge)

After you import the audiobook into iTunes, it will appear in your iTunes Music folder, with each part displaying as an individual MP3 song.

3. Use this optional step if you wish to move the audiobook from the iTunes Music folder to the specific Audiobooks folder. (Note: If you don't see an Audiobooks folder in iTunes, go to the Edit menu and select "Preferences". On the General tab, check the "Audiobooks" box.)
    • In iTunes, select all the MP3 parts of the audiobook.
    • Right click and select "Get Info".
    • Under "Options", change "Media Kind" to "Audiobooks".
    • Click "OK" on the dialog box. The audiobook parts move to the MUSIC \ AUDIOBOOKS folder (see Figure 3)

• Figure 3 (click to enlarge)

4. Connect the iPod or iPhone to the computer and sync. (see Figure 4)

5. Figure 4 (click to enlarge)

Use the Media Console's Transfer Wizard

For iPod and iPhone users, this method puts the audiobook directly onto the iPod or iPhone without putting it into the iTunes Library. It also transfers any bookmarks that you may have placed in your audiobook with that Media Console feature.
  1. Connect your portable device to the computer.
  2. If you are using an iPod or iPhone, you must set your iPod or iPhone to be manually managed (as opposed to syncing automatically as it does by default) before transferring an Audiobook MP3 using the wizard. (When you manually manage, remember to click the "Eject" icon in iTunes before disconnecting your iPod or iPhone.)
    • Connect the iPod or iPhone to the computer.
    • Open iTunes.
    • Go to "Options" and click "Manually manage music and videos".
    • Click the "Apply" button. (see Figure 5)

Figure 5 (click to enlarge)

3. Open the Media Console.
  4. Select the audiobook to transfer.
  5. Click the "Transfer" button on the top menu bar and follow the transfer wizard's instructions. (see Figure 6)

6. Figure 6 (click to enlarge)

7. If you are using an iPod or iPhone: After the transfer is complete, go to "Controls" on the top menu bar of iTunes, and click "Eject iPod" or "Eject iPhone" before you disconnect the device.

The audiobook is listed in three places on your iPod or iPhone. The title can be found in MUSIC \ SONGS and in MUSIC \ ALBUMS. The author is listed in MUSIC \ ARTISTS. (Note: The audiobook does not appear in the iTunes Library)

To delete an audiobook, you must connect the iPod or iPhone to the computer and open iTunes. When the device appears in the left part of iTunes screen, open it and find the audiobook files on the iPod or iPhone. Select the files, right click, and "Delete".

What if I have a technical problem?

If you have problems with the transfer process:
  • Try again to be sure you are following the instructions properly.
  • Look for help in the device's manual or on the company's website.
  • Consult the iTunes, iPod, or iPhone's HELP menu.
You may also call 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) for technical assistance.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 225 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: