Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
TeachnLern
0 Kudos

registering nook

Does the nook have to be registered in a physical store?  I'm about 150 miles from the nearest brick & mortar store and I bought mine there but my friends and family would like to order on line.

B&N Bookseller
DariaJane
0 Kudos

Re: registering nook

Nope, you don't have to be in a store to register it.  You just need a bn.com account (which you have) and a default credit card on file.  To add a  default credit card, click on "My Account" at the top of the bn.com page and click on the link to Manage Credit Cards.  Once you add all that, turn on your nook and go to Settings.  From there you can touch Register Device (or something like that) and enter the email address and password associated with your bn.com account.  That's all it takes!  Let us know if you have any problems with this...

Contributor
TeachnLern
0 Kudos

Thanks for the quick response.  It's not fun to live 4 hours from the closest B&N!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

You do need to have wireless access to register. For a Wi-Fi-only NOOK, that means you have to be somewhere that the NOOK can access a hotspot.

Contributor
neurotrance
0 Kudos

How do you register a Nook when you're outside the US then?

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

neurotrance wrote:

How do you register a Nook when you're outside the US then?

You can register the Nook when you are outside the US using Wifi. No problem.

Contributor
neurotrance
0 Kudos

Ah, I see. Thanks!

Do you really need a Wi-Fi or can you register it while it is hooked up by cable to a desktop PC with Internet access as well?

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

neurotrance wrote:

Ah, I see. Thanks!

Do you really need a Wi-Fi or can you register it while it is hooked up by cable to a desktop PC with Internet access as well?

Unfortunately that is not possible. Just Wifi.

New User
ButtonsVB
0 Kudos

I need to register my new nook, I cannot get past looking for wifi spot....etc., so my question is once I go to where a wifi connect is, then will I be able to access my nook totally??  I plan to just use my nook for my daily meditations (by transferring from my computer), and when I want or need to buy or purchase a book of app, I would just go to a BN store or a location with wifi.?? we just have cable connect to the net, etc.  I sincerely hope and pray that I am correct.  I just purchased my nook HD+ yesterday afternoon, and am excited to access what is already pre-installed!:smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

ButtonsVB wrote:

I need to register my new nook, I cannot get past looking for wifi spot....etc., so my question is once I go to where a wifi connect is, then will I be able to access my nook totally??  I plan to just use my nook for my daily meditations (by transferring from my computer), and when I want or need to buy or purchase a book of app, I would just go to a BN store or a location with wifi.?? we just have cable connect to the net, etc.  I sincerely hope and pray that I am correct.  I just purchased my nook HD+ yesterday afternoon, and am excited to access what is already pre-installed!:smileyhappy:

Your HD+ has capabilities far beyond that of the original Nook First Edition reader. You inquiry would be much more apparent to people familiar with the HD+ in the B&N forums specific to the HD and HD+.

Some Nook models might require brief contact with B&N servers through a WiFi connection before other functions are enabled.

Some online services offer video or audio streaming that requires a WiFi connection for the entire time you are watching or listening to the content. Other services allow you to download video or audio content with your Nook HD/HD+ and or computer and view the content without a WiFi connection later (video or audio is stored in the Nook). Once loaded onto the Nook HD/HD+ you should be able to read eBooks and ePeriodicals without a WiFi connection.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

ButtonsVB wrote:

You could also purchase a router and set up WiFi in your home.  But, once you get it registered, you don't "need" WiFi", you can transfer books via PC, but, as was previously stated, the HD has a lot of other capabilities.  And, again, post your questions to the HD/HD+ board, you're much more likely to get responses, and will get responses specific to your device.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 50 members 231 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: