Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
lynnvee
0 Kudos

sideloaded documents show up on compter, but not on nook

I just got my nook on monday. Yesterday I attempted to sideload some of my own documents. They show up as available on my PC not on my nook. I have listened to the sideloading video, and retried serval times, but the ducuments have not loaded to the nook.

Correspondent
eagleSB
0 Kudos

Re: sideloaded documents show up on compter, but not on nook

[ Edited ]

did you load them into the "my documents" folder?  did you go to "my library" and choose "view my documents"?  did you choose "check for new content"?  what format were the books in?  epub, pdf, pdb?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Did it upgrade to version 1.2?

There is a known problem with some sideloaded documentes.  

Provided you did all the steps Eagle mentioned, take the sideloads off and put them on a few at a time till you find the failing one.

New User
LovesIrishSetters
0 Kudos

I am having exactly the same problem. I got the nook so so I could cut the cost down of new books and also carry my research around for work and read it all easily while traveling which I do constantly so bookss and papers have always been the bane of my job. I loaded all of my research to read which are mostly pdf's adn a few epub's. When I only load a few, it is no problem, But if I side load more, say over 1GB just to see what happens, then it crashes. Is there a limit to how much space the personal docs in the library can be? I get the feeling there is a memory limit... or do we have to load 100MB, then another, and so on? Thanks.

New User
LovesIrishSetters
0 Kudos

Also, when I open a pdf and am reading it, and then add files, i can read what i have opened, but i can not see it on the nook  in my docs, but my computer can see it when i open it up. thanks again for sure. the only solution i found was to reset the whole unit and start over from scratch. this is disappointing for sure.

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W
0 Kudos

@ LovesIrishSett:  We are aware that there's been a problem with viewing PDF's and the 'My Documents' section on nook since the newest update.

At this time, I would recommend trying to load your files 100MB at a time.  Hopefully, loading them onto nook in smaller increments helps prevent your files from not showing up. 

Contributor
Ninaelf
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem. I have called tech support four times and they don't even seem to know there is a problem. I have been told to re copy from the source, do factory fallback and drag and drop one at a time. None of this works. I even had my nook replaced and I was having the same problem with the new one. I did factory fallback and did not allow the new update to occur. So now my pdf's are readable, but I can't use bookmarks since that in on the new update. An issue that is driving me insane. I also can't buy new books through barnes and noble because that causes the update to occur. I don't know if they plan on fixing this issue but if they don't even realize there is an issue they won't fix it. This is something I can't budge on. I need my pdf's. I have over 100 books in this format. I will soon have no choice but to purchase a kindle which I do NOT want to do. I really want the nook, but it's killing me. And yes they already had me try to put my documents on one at a time. An hour later they get wiped off.

Correspondent
eagleSB
0 Kudos

@ninaelf:

First, paragraphs are your friend.  They make your posts easier to read.

Second, posting the same thing on multiple threads is not all that helpful.

Third, B&N is aware of this problem.  There are quite a few people on the forum that have reported it.  I understand they are working on a fix expected out "soon" (their standard time frame) to address this.  If you can be patient, the issue should be resolved.  If you cannot wait for B&N, then you may need to go with your fallback option.

Contributor
Ninaelf
0 Kudos

Re: sideloaded documents show up on computer, but not on nook

I was posting on multiple threads to get as much feedback as possible.

I am hoping that someone has a short term solution since tech support does not.

I have been waiting for a working nook since I received it in January. That's almost a month ago, so how is that for patience?

Barnes and noble's tech support people have only very recently acknowledged that this is a very common problem. If you read other threads you'll see that others have complained that tech support is unaware of the problem.

My fallback solution is not working because 1.2 still randomly downloads by itself. Yes, I have the wireless off and am aware of how airplane mode is "supposed" to work. Tech support can't help me out there either.

You should read up on a problem before you reply to a post.

Hope this was easy for you to read.

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W
0 Kudos

What seems to be causing the PDF issue is any PDF that is missing the metadata for the title.  If you remove PDF's missing a title, hopefully your nook should be able to open 'My Documents' properly.

We are aware of this issue and working on a fix that we can hopefully get out in a system update sometime soon.

Frequent Contributor
phillyburb
0 Kudos

Josh, is this problem knows for EPUBs as well? 

Reason I ask is b/c I downloaded ADE and found that my local library has ebooks - downloaded one and then activated the nook with ADE and then put the book on the nook - by searching for the book under My documents/My Digital Editions and then dragging that under My Docements in the nook E drive.  I go into my Nook under My Library, hit check for new content and I see it..but when I try to open it...says "Opening Your Document" and then goes back to the My Documents....doesn't open the book.

Is this the same issue as the pdf?  Thanks for your (or anyone else's) help.

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W
0 Kudos

@ phillyburb:  At this point in time, the issue's only been documented for PDF files. 

Are there any other titles in your 'My Documents' section that are not opening up?

Perhaps try archiving the title in question, check for new content, unarchive, and then check for new content again. 

Frequent Contributor
phillyburb
0 Kudos

I don't have an archive option - when I choose View Item Details & options, I only get Read - and when I hit Read..again, "Opening Your docutment" and then nothing.  It's showing up under My Documents where the nook Tour and nook User Guide is....did I put it in the wrong place?

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple

phillyburb wrote:

Josh, is this problem knows for EPUBs as well? 

Reason I ask is b/c I downloaded ADE and found that my local library has ebooks - downloaded one and then activated the nook with ADE and then put the book on the nook - by searching for the book under My documents/My Digital Editions and then dragging that under My Docements in the nook E drive.  I go into my Nook under My Library, hit check for new content and I see it..but when I try to open it...says "Opening Your Document" and then goes back to the My Documents....doesn't open the book.

Is this the same issue as the pdf?  Thanks for your (or anyone else's) help.

Phillyburb:
The reason it's not working for you is that you're not doing it correctly.  What you're doing was a workaround for people who had the 1.1.0 software on their nook, which didn't work correctly with ADE.  This has since been fixed.  What you should be doing is dragging and dropping the book WITHIN ADE to the nook icon.  It will then place the book inside the "Digital Editions" folder on your nook.  You should then be able to read it.  
Frequent Contributor
phillyburb
0 Kudos

Thank you very-simple!  That's exactly what I was doing....instead of doing it within ADE - I was using the drives to drag/drop.  Worked like a charm now.  Whew....:smileytongue:

Contributor
genierenae
0 Kudos

don't know exactly what I did, but mine are available now.  I had it plugged in to the computer, then I turned ejected the nook, then I turned it off and back on..... then I could get to them.  I doubt that this is in any way a soulution or that it  can be duplicated, but I just thought I should share that I did get it to work.  (Also, I did re-do some of the metadata in Calibre for the pdfs, but not for the epubs)

I dunno.... its a mystery.:smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

genierenae wrote:

.  (Also, I did re-do some of the metadata in Calibre for the pdfs, but not for the epubs)

I dunno.... its a mystery.:smileyhappy:

Actually, that may well have been the fix.  There are a lot of threads which point to problems with PDF files, and some of these are fixed by removing the PDF, and at least a few by fixing the metadata via Acrobat if you have it, or Calibre if you don't.

Nobody has traced this problem to epubs as far as I can tell.

Try Calibre people.  

Its an awesome program.  Fixing metadata is as simple as clicking on each ebook (pdf) in your library, and filling in missing fields.

Run the Welcome Wizard if you haven't previously and set up a Calibre library on your computer. 

Copy your "My documents" folder from your nook to a temporary directory on your computer, and import them all to Calibre with the Add Books tool.

Then right click each PDF document and select Edit Metadata Individually.  Make sure each PDF has:

• A title
  • An Author
  • An Author sort
  • A publisher
  • optionally some tags
Then Send to Device each changed document, making sure you over-write the original.  (Be sure to set the default Send-to-Device option so Calibre sends it to the correct place).

New User
YoderIII
0 Kudos

New User
YoderIII
0 Kudos

First make sure the documents are in the proper documents folder. Second make sure it is a document that is compatible with the nook. PDF for example. Third make sure it does not have any DRM issues as they are not compatible with nook unless it came from the BN.com store.

Now if all the above is checked and taken care of and it is still not read by the nook the last step is to first make sure you have backed up copies of the sideloaded files. After that, reset to the factory settings within nook. Keep in mind that the BN.com content will be erased but redownloaded when the nook reboots. It should reboot and recognize the sideloaded files. You might have to look for new BN content within the nook after it reboots. Keep in mind also that any updates to the software will also be erased and then automatically redownloaded to update your nook's software.  

I had this issue too. This is how I solved it. I was also adding a micro SD card at the same time. To answer other questions I do not see that here are  any limits to adding files at one time. I sideloaded about 300 files into my documents and after returning to factory settings it also recognized all my 600 documents which I set up on the Micro SD card on the computer before I installed it.

I hope this helps and happy reading!    

New User
LanawritesTX
0 Kudos

That hasn't worked for me either.  I have not had access to "MY DOCUMENTS" since the upgrade.  My Nook no longer recognizes anything on my sd card and doesn't recognize content unless it is downloaded from B&N. 

Any ideas how to fix this?

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 17 members 656 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: