Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W
0 Kudos

Re: sidesaddle documents show up on computer, but not on nook

@LanawritesTX:  Try removing PDF files that have no metadata in the 'title' section.  This seems to be causing the problem most times when unable to view 'My Documents.' 

If you can add something in the 'title' section of these Pad's, you should be able to view them as well on your nook. 

Contributor
SupaCoo
0 Kudos

Re: sideloaded documents show up on compter, but not on nook

Ok, it seems like other people are having this problem too, and I've tried everything here but no luck. Here's the deal:

1) Bought ebooks at bn.com - worked fine.

2) Have all books on computer - fine.

3) Navigate to books on computer, drag and drop to "my BN downloads" folder on nook - fine

4) nook doesn't find books.

I've power cycled, deleted the books and re-added them, powered again, added one at a time - nothing is working.

I'm pretty annoyed because I just bought 10 books!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thats because you insist on putting them in the wrong folder.

Put them in "my documents" on the nook, as has been stated many times in this thread.

Do not side load to my B&N documents.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

SupaCoo wrote:

Ok, it seems like other people are having this problem too, and I've tried everything here but no luck. Here's the deal:

1) Bought ebooks at bn.com - worked fine.

2) Have all books on computer - fine.

3) Navigate to books on computer, drag and drop to "my BN downloads" folder on nook - fine

4) nook doesn't find books.

I've power cycled, deleted the books and re-added them, powered again, added one at a time - nothing is working.

I'm pretty annoyed because I just bought 10 books!

Your step #3 is incorrect.

Sideloaded files should be placed in "my documents" not in "my BN downloads".

This is even true for books eBooks purchased from B&N. Only the nook itself should put content in "my BN downloads".

Repeat your steps above and place the files in "my documents" and you should be fine.

Contributor
SupaCoo
0 Kudos

Read again: They are BN books - I bought them from the BN store. I've done this plenty of times before and it's worked. The My Docs folder is for NON-BN books.

any other ideas?

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

Thats because you insist on putting them in the wrong folder.

Put them in "my documents" on the nook, as has been stated many times in this thread.

Do not side load to my B&N documents.

Damn, you beat me to it.

Contributor
SupaCoo
0 Kudos

Well, I've been putting BN books in my BN folder for over a month and it's worked fine.

In fact now - after cursing at my nook for 30 seconds, my BN books are showing up in my B&N Library - NOT my documents. So, apparently the cursing part does it.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

One more idea:  Try following the Ideas you have already asked for and received.

If you won't, then what is the point of trying to help you?

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

SupaCoo wrote:

Read again: They are BN books - I bought them from the BN store. I've done this plenty of times before and it's worked. The My Docs folder is for NON-BN books.

any other ideas?

The "my documents" folder is for side loaded content. Unless the nook downloads the content itself it does not go in "my BN downloads". I suggest reading the manual.

Contributor
SupaCoo
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

One more idea:  Try following the Ideas you have already asked for and received.

If you won't, then what is the point of trying to help you?

Because they don't work, either :smileytongue:

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

RTFM.

Contributor
SupaCoo
0 Kudos

Thank you for the help. As I stated, I put them in my BN downloads and it worked. I must have a defective nook since you all say this is not supposed to be the case. Oh well, I like it this way. :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks for the help, and I do strongly suggest the cursing part when at a dead end :smileyhappy: This has been causing me palpitations for four days...

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

SupaCoo wrote:

Thanks for the help, and I do strongly suggest the cursing part when at a dead end :smileyhappy: This has been causing me palpitations for four days...

Which curses work best (just in case ...)? :smileywink:

One additional note, in the interest of completeness:

I noticed in your original post that you did not say you checked for new B&N content in the My Library menu.

If you didn't check it may have been the reboot that caused your content to show up and checking for new content right after sideloading should fix that.

If you did the check, then ... in the immortal words of Emily Litella ... never mind

New User
jt10s
0 Kudos

Had this oh-so-frustrating problem, but followed someone's earlier post on using Calibre. Worked like a charm the first time around and took all of 5 minutes.

1. Download the free Calibre program

2. During installation, select Nook as your device.

3. Add your pdfs to the library and use the 'Convert Books' function, selecting the Nook as the output.

4. Use Calibre to move everything into your Nook. (It'll automatically put them into the Documents folder)

And... it's THAT easy. Thanks for all the posts. I was contemplating sending the Nook back.

Now who knows where to get a metal case for it? My Sony e-reader broke in a week because something apparently pressed onto the screen too hard...

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

jt10s wrote:

Had this oh-so-frustrating problem, but followed someone's earlier post on using Calibre. Worked like a charm the first time around and took all of 5 minutes.

1. Download the free Calibre program

2. During installation, select Nook as your device.

3. Add your pdfs to the library and use the 'Convert Books' function, selecting the Nook as the output.

4. Use Calibre to move everything into your Nook. (It'll automatically put them into the Documents folder)

And... it's THAT easy. Thanks for all the posts. I was contemplating sending the Nook back.

Now who knows where to get a metal case for it? My Sony e-reader broke in a week because something apparently pressed onto the screen too hard...

Amen to Calibre... it is AMAZING

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 52 members 739 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: