Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
HarryO53
0 Kudos

Re: uSD Card Acting Up Again!

I can understand the frustration.  I went through three separate loads, about > 2gb...and all of a sudden, add one more book, then nothing!  The content on the uSD card wouldn't be recognized.  Here we go again, erase on the Mac....back into the Nook to use Calibre to load....repeat.

I purposely bought an 8 gb card so that I wouldn't be fiddling around with content every couple of weeks.  Now, if I go above 2 gb...no good.

I don't blame the Nook.  I used to use my iPod Touch as an ereader via Stanza or one of the other free ereader apps.  That seemed to be more reliable than this.  I may go back to it.  Or even better, iPad 2 when they become more available.

Wordsmith
Tweedledee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@HarryO53

First thing that I would do - test the card.

There are some "freeware" downloads for checking the integrity of the SDCard - I just obtained a 32GB from Amazon, before it goes into my nook - it was tested to determine that there were no errors on the card, the card was a 32 GB card, and the speed both write and read.  H2testw_1.4 will test the entire card for errors, actual size, and benchmark the speeds/class write/read.

Second thing -

Some, not all versions/publications freeze the ability of the nook to read the SDCard, so far I have had 2 that did that, try taking the one that you last loaded off the card and determine if that is the offending publication/format.   As soon as the offending publications/formats were removed from my SDCard - all other content loaded just fine.

Edit:  The "Second thing" is verified in other threads on the nook boards - since I have come across the issue in similar threads to yours.

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
Frequent Contributor
HarryO53
0 Kudos

Yup, I've used some open source utilities to check my uSD cards as well as standard SD cards.  I've not found any that have had problems yet.

Wordsmith
Tweedledee
0 Kudos

@HarryO53

Here it the one thread that I found with that issue (there are more) - i.e. the "second thing"

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/SD-Card-Issues/m-p/878864/highlight/tr...

It is a known issue, whether it is your issue, or not.....who knows, presently in my e-ink nook I have an 8 GB card with over 4.82 GBs used, no problem loading the content.  Now it does take a little time when I add content, but, just set it aside and let it labor on at that task ....  :smileyhappy:

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
Frequent Contributor
LizJ70
0 Kudos

I used windows to check the card for errors as I formatted and also I downloaded a third party software to check the card for errors.  None werefound. All the books that I was loading were either bought from B&N or converted to epub with calibre. On one of the Nooks, I was able to turn it on and off a few times and it read the file.  Short of adding 1000 books one at a time, how do we tell which file is the "bad" one?   

Frequent Contributor
HarryO53
0 Kudos

Good case for using Calibre and keeping title and author and (sometimes) ISBN up to date.  

Could be the problem, will be very vigilante for this from now on.

Thanks for the input!

Wordsmith
Tweedledee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@LizJ70

How did you download the B&N e-pubs - there is a known issue with the file extensions - like V2, etc....which has to be removed prior to loading on the nook, otherwise the file will not load on the nook since it is not a recognized extension. 

Try this thread

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/error-in-nook-quot-cannot-open-book-un...

As for which one, got me, I usually only add 5 or so at a time all with Calibre - I run my B&N books through Calibre, no it does not read them, but it cleans up the data, i.e.. metadata can be obtained (for side loaded books), the file extensions are cleaned up and I generally can down load the art work or save to the desk top and browse it into the metadata.

Some ADE loaded books will cause this problem, me, I just open the book in the ADE, then have Calibre retrieve them and load them that way, 2 of them were the culprits.  Naughty children.  Again, Calibre can not open or read them, they are DRM protected like B&N books  This was a discovery early on in my experimentation with the device.   

You might try searching for ADE in the threads, the advice on how to remove the digital editions file and some other stuff, currently I have the process down, knock wood, it works.  The trick is to open the book/file in the ADE first, then have Calibre retrieve it, and side load from Calibre.

I presently have over 800 books side loaded in my e-ink nook, all through Calibre.  The biggest issue that I have with this many side loaded would be that upon loading more, it takes forever often to open and fully read the content.  Initially it appears as if there is nothing there, but wait, they all pop up in due time.  There have been times that I have rebooted, waited and they all pop up.  Patience is required with that much content, it takes time for the device to sort through all of the data.

Edit:  Once it has read all of the data, then there is no longer a wait time when the "My Documents" menu selection is chosen, only when it has to search for new content does this happen with this much side loaded.

One more trick each author is loaded into his own file, nook apparently has difficulty reading the single root folder with all of those side loaded items, it is apparently easier for it to read the data when it is in segments, i.e. individual folders (not a techy, just using the best language available to describe the process).

Bertrand Russell