Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Re: unsupported file type

no, this a problem because the file name is wrong. 

YouCanDoIt wrote:

try reseting your nook back to factory default settings

settings > device > reset to factory settings

New User
DLN60
0 Kudos

Am I the only one that finds it very annoying that BNs answer to every problem with the nook is to unregister and reregister or reset to factory default?  I am having the same problem with it not opening the books I just purchased.  I do not have readily accessible wifi unless I get in the car and drive to a wifi spot so the only way I can download is to put them onto my computer first and then to the nook, so if you think that you are having this problem because you are downloading them from wifi, it's not true.  Transferring from the computer doesn't work either.  I only started getting this after I downloaded the new software.  I have tried deleting part of the file extension mentioned above but it doesn't seem to work for me.  Any other ideas?

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

DLN60 wrote:

Am I the only one that finds it very annoying that BNs answer to every problem with the nook is to unregister and reregister or reset to factory default?  I am having the same problem with it not opening the books I just purchased.  I do not have readily accessible wifi unless I get in the car and drive to a wifi spot so the only way I can download is to put them onto my computer first and then to the nook, so if you think that you are having this problem because you are downloading them from wifi, it's not true.  Transferring from the computer doesn't work either.  I only started getting this after I downloaded the new software.  I have tried deleting part of the file extension mentioned above but it doesn't seem to work for me.  Any other ideas?

The filename needs to end with ".epub". Remove all other dots from the filename.

Did you do a "check for new contect" to refresh the book listing after changing the filenames?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

DLN60 wrote:

I have tried deleting part of the file extension mentioned above but it doesn't seem to work for me.  Any other ideas?

Did you fix the filename directly on your NOOK? I don't think that works. I think you have to remove the e-book from your NOOK, fix the filename on your computer, then sideload the fixed e-book.

New User
Hager_the_Horrible
0 Kudos

They worked for me after I deleted the unnecessary parts of the name, the .v2 or whatever part.  Very frustrating.

Contributor
TheBack40
0 Kudos

robyngoodfellow wrote:

I'm running v1.5

yes they're B&N

they're sideloaded.

The filenames I'm seeing look like this: 9780062030542_ePub.v2.epub

If I delete the "_ePub.v2" then they work, but it's frustrating that B&N books don't work on a B&N eReader.

This worked for me. But first I was forced to delete the original file from the nook. Then I "checked for new content". Then I downloaded the file again without the "_epub.v2". then I checked for new content again.

New User
Christine1212
0 Kudos

Thank you thank you thank you!! I was worried that my nook had turned into a paperweight!

I am ready to read again.

:smileyvery-happy:

New User
aliciasbrewer
0 Kudos

I was just wondering,

the nook verifys the book by asking you to put in the name and credit card number the ebook was purchased with...what if you purchased it with a gift card on your account? do you put in the credit card that's on that account, or do you track down the gift card you used and use that number??

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

aliciasbrewer wrote:

I was just wondering,

the nook verifys the book by asking you to put in the name and credit card number the ebook was purchased with...what if you purchased it with a gift card on your account? do you put in the credit card that's on that account, or do you track down the gift card you used and use that number??

You put in the credit card number, that's why you have to have a credit card on file, it is what is used to protect the book.  Purchasing it with a gift card has no impact on what it uses to protect the book.  But, when is asking you for the credit card number?  If you download the books directly from B&N to your Nook via WiFi, it shouldn't ask you for that information.

New User
aliciasbrewer
0 Kudos

I meant for when I copy/paste my books to my mom's nook, it asks for verification of the name and credit card number of the original purchaser of the e-book. Thanks for your answer!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

aliciasbrewer wrote:

I meant for when I copy/paste my books to my mom's nook, it asks for verification of the name and credit card number of the original purchaser of the e-book. Thanks for your answer!

You should only have to input it once as long as you don't change your credit card.

New User
J1Letter
0 Kudos

Thank you so much! It worked like a dream!

BZK
Reader
BZK
0 Kudos

I had the same problem (my Adobe Digital Reader doesn't work, by the way since it evidently can only be used on the first computer on which it is registered-I have a new one). This work around works! Yet others on my Nook have the "ePub.vs" extension and work. Puzzling. 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 186 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: