Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
razorback10
0 Kudos

unsupported file type

Just downloaded new software & the new book that i had opened but hadnt started to read starts saying  cannot open book - unsupported file type. dont understand please help  it opens all my other books that were purchased the same way  thanks

Reader 4
gailo5706Mn
0 Kudos

Re: unsupported file type

Ditto for me; just downloaded 4 books, listed in my Nook as "untitled" with "unknown author" and "file not supported".  I re-downloaded, still got untitled and unknown author, but a couple of books had content under those titles.  I noticed one of them ("Switched" by Amanda Hocking) has "Kindle edition" listed on the title page.  I just did the 1.5 update before downloading these.

Contributor
ArmyWife_09

Okay, I think I can help!

I had this same problem after the 1.5 upgrade. I took my nook into the local Barnes and Noble, the bookseller had the problem fixed in a matter of minutes.

1. Scroll to the book you are having issues with.

2. Click Item Details and Options

3. Archive

4. Yes

5. Unarchive

6. Download

And then the book should work! =)

New User
razorback10
0 Kudos

thank you so much army wife it worked

Reader 4
gailo5706Mn
0 Kudos

Army wife's fix didn't work for me...now all 4 books come up "unsupported file".

I've deleted all from my Nook, and will read a paper book tonite.

Reader 4
gailo5706Mn
0 Kudos

OK, I found a way around....but my circumstance is probably not the usual.  My Nook was a gift.....from somebody who elected the WiFi version, due to cheapness.  I dont have WiFi, and dont especially want to go to B&N or MickyD's to access wireless downloading.  I've usually just hooked up to my computer and downloaded via usb with no problem; I hit "download", and it would go into "my documents" on the Nook.  After I upgraded to 1.5, this didn't work.  What I've now ended up doing is downloading into "my documents" in my computer, then moving those files into "Nook".  I guess the "upgrade" is giving me a little longer trip to get into the Nook.

Reader 4
robyngoodfellow
0 Kudos

Neither fix worked for me. An other suggestions?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

robyngoodfellow wrote:

Neither fix worked for me. An other suggestions?

I'm going to assume these are B&N e-books.

How did you load them onto your NOOK? Wireless download, or sideload from your computer?

When you look at the 'my B&N downloads' folder on your NOOK from your computer, what do the file names look like? A normal B&N download will look like a 13-digit number followed by .epub. If you're seeing something else, what are you seeing?

Oh, and are you running the 1.5 software or something else?

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@robyngoodfellow,

Try this...

On the NOOK,
1.Tap on "My Library" from the Home screen (all of these steps are done in your "Library" on your NOOK)
2. Highlight the NOOKbook or NOOKperiodical (that you were unable to access) and tap "View Item Details & Options".
3. Then tap "Archive" and follow the on-screen prompts
4. Then tap "Check for New B&N Content" and wait for it to complete.

Once this update is completed, then you want to Unarchive the NOOKbook or NOOKperiodical in order to re-download the content

1. Ensure that you are still in My B&N Library section of My Library
2. Navigate to and Highlight the NOOKbook or NOOKperiodical you want to download (it should be grayed out).
3. Tap "View Item Details & Options".
4. Tap "Unarchive." and then tap "ok"
5. Then tap "Check for New B&N Content" and wait for it to complete.

You should now have access to that NOOKbook or NOOKperiodical..

Contributor
MtnMomDS
0 Kudos

I am using the latest version for Nook.  Version 1.5.0.

After spending 40 minutes with tech support to solve this problem, I solved it on my own.  I have to download to my PC or my Nook via the internet.  I am not near a Wi-Fi or 3G.

This morning I downloaded books I purchased last night onto my computer.  I then copied them to my Nook to the "My Documents" folder (as I always have).  Attempted to open a book and received the "unsupported file" message.  While talking with the "tech support" guy, I deleted the "ePub.vs" extension from the book number/name.  AND IT WORKS.  IT READS IT NOW!

Hope this helps.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

It might be somewhat simpler to use NOOK for PC to do the downloading. The file names you get that way don't have the "-epub.vx" in them, so they don't cause the problem with 1.5.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

It might be somewhat simpler to use NOOK for PC to do the downloading. The file names you get that way don't have the "-epub.vx" in them, so they don't cause the problem with 1.5.

Yes it is, but a question for the B&N folks (Michael-V are you listening) is why on earth when you download a file directly from the website, are you getting this weirdly named file with two extensions?  This makes absolutely no sense to me.  And Why do I get a different file if I use Nook for PC?

And how many times are they going to change the names of the files?  Can't they figure out a standard and stick with it? On my old computer, I have the same books multiple times downloaded through the old eReader program because it kept downloading newer versions (I would assume) with different file names.  Hard to figure out which ones are actually duplicates (or triplicates) because of the different file names  

Actually, now that I think about it, they're on the new computer also, since I transferred everything in My Documents, it's just that I now have an additional copy in the and differently named folder created by Nook for PC.

Reader 4
robyngoodfellow
0 Kudos

I'm running v1.5

yes they're B&N

they're sideloaded.

The filenames I'm seeing look like this: 9780062030542_ePub.v2.epub

If I delete the "_ePub.v2" then they work, but it's frustrating that B&N books don't work on a B&N eReader.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

robyngoodfellow wrote:

I'm running v1.5

yes they're B&N

they're sideloaded.

The filenames I'm seeing look like this: 9780062030542_ePub.v2.epub

If I delete the "_ePub.v2" then they work, but it's frustrating that B&N books don't work on a B&N eReader.

Download them using the Nook for PC application instead of the button the website.  They'll download with an appropriate file name and you can then sideload them.

New User
squirrelnutzipperfan
0 Kudos

You're awesome, ArmyWife_09!  Worked like a charm.  What are you reading?

New User
GmaLulu
0 Kudos

What a pain!!! My Nook got stuck booting up. Nothing would work and finally I had to reset it. After downloading the new update, I got the unsupported file type as well. I followed the directions that were posted to archive and unarchive the book. This worked. I sure hope I do not have to do this to every book. I have a lot of them in my library. Hopefully, this update fixes the problem of the Nook getting stuck in the booting up process. It's not the first time it's happen.
New User
RobAngie
0 Kudos

Thank you...... That works like an angel kiss. I look like a genius to my wife right now!!! Thanks

Reader
QueenCaton
0 Kudos

THANK YOU! After 4 hrs I was in tears.

New User
NYMetsfan
0 Kudos

Thanks for the information MtnMomDS. Tech Support could not help after 3 phone calls.

Frequent Contributor
miggy82
0 Kudos

try reseting your nook back to factory default settings

settings > device > reset to factory settings

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 48 members 987 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: