Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
sharno22
0 Kudos

update...lost page numbers

I updated my Nook this morning and the page numbers on the book I am currently reading have disappeared.  My other books are fine.  I let the book sit as recommended in another post and the numbers still have not returned.  This book showed 1046 Nook pages while I was reading it and I was on page 350 something.  I'm worried that if for some reason the Nook loses my place I will be completely lost.

Is anyone else having this problem?  Any advice?

Correspondent
sharno22
0 Kudos

Re: update...lost page numbers

I got the page numbers back!  I went back to the cover.  Then my Nook froze up.  I held the power button for about 20 seconds until the Nook shut off.  Then I restarted the Nook, and my page numbers are back!

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Re: update...lost page numbers

sharno22:

The book you were reading is probably a .pdb file, which has "dynamic" page numbering - the first time you open one of these books, it will take a few minutes/page turns for the numbers to appear, because the nook is still calculating them, and rather than forcing you to wait until it's done, it lets you start reading.  If you change the font size, the pagination will change.

This is the opposite of .epub, which has "static" page numbering, so the page count is always the same and the nook doesn't have to do any work.  The "downside" to static numbering is that you'll sometimes end up with several pages with the same page number, particularly on the larger font sizes.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 38 members 876 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: