Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
pelros75
0 Kudos

user not activated

I have a new Nook and when I downloaded books from my public library (after downloading Adobe Digital Edition) I was not able to open the book on my Nook.  The book is there, and my Nook is recognized by ADE, but when i try to open it, the Nook says "user not activated."  I read several postings regarding this problem, but nothing works.  One suggested that I click on "library" on ADE, and then click on "authorize my Nook" - but there is no such option.  It is really frustrating, can anyone help?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

Re: user not activated

[ Edited ]

If your nook shows up as a book shelf in ADE (when in library view) then ADE thinks the nook is already authorized, and won't offer the option to Authorize it again, so don't worry if that is not shown.

If you can see the nook as a bookshelf in ADE:

Click on the nook bookshelf in ADE, and you should see books that are on the nook, including those purchased from B&N, which often show up as just numbers.epub or something.  (Don't mess with these using ADE).

Make sure the library books shows in the list of books on the nook bookshelf. If so, double click that book in ADE and see if it opens.  You will be reading it on your computer from your nook's storage.  

If you still can't open it, there was something wrong with the transfer, and you may want to delete it from the nook (After making sure it is still in the "All Items or "Borrowed"  book shelf.

Then Drag it over and drop it onto the nook again.  Close ADE.

From your computer Eject (not safely remove, use the file manager, not the task bar button) the nook, then go to "my documents" on the nooks screen and Check for new content.

Still Not Authorized:

If you still get the not authorized, it means the Authorization of the nook is messed up, which seemed to happen with nooks of a certain vintage.  (They arrive thinking they are authorized, but its all wrong and needs to be re-done).

In this case, you need to hook the nook back up to your computer, and NOT have ADE running at the time.

Use the File Manager (Windows Explorer) to look a the nook.  You should see a directory named .adobe_digital_editions and another one named "Digital Editions".  

Delete both of these folders and everything in them from the nook.  Then look in "my documents" on the nook and delete the library book if it is there.

Then, Open ADE.  It should see the nook as a new device and offer to Authorize it again.  Go thru the authorization process (its like one click If I recall).

Then drag the library book to the nook bookshelf again.  Eject (using windows explorer as above), and open my documents on the nook, check for new content, and see if the book will open.

New User
pelros75
0 Kudos

It worked. Thank you so much! 

New User
BWombat
0 Kudos

Thank you thank you thank you! It worked for me too. The time you took to share this info was really a great gift to me today in Paris wanting to use those books. Thank you.

New User
indira30
0 Kudos

thank you sooo much!  i was getting so frustrated and disappointed, but this one hits the mark!!

it works wonderfully with the library, my primary reason for getting the nook!!

New User
ferretmommy
0 Kudos

OK, I'm trying your suggestion under still not authorized, but how do I get to File Manager? It's probably right in front of me, but I can't find it...

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

In order for us to help you find the file manager on your computer you have to tell us what kind of computer you have. Windows or Mac or Linux.
Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

ferretmommy wrote:

OK, I'm trying your suggestion under still not authorized, but how do I get to File Manager? It's probably right in front of me, but I can't find it...

Assuming Windows: open the Start Menu, open Computer or My Computer, open the drive labeled Nook or Nookcolor (sometimes the NC is labeled as Media), the 2 folders in question should be in there.

Side note: it is my layperson's undertanding that this isuue may be cause by not "ejecting" or using "safely remove hardware" after initially registering a Nook or other ereader to ADE.  But once regestered correctly , one should not have this issue reoccur.

New User
ferretmommy
0 Kudos

Thank you for helping me find the file manager folder. I did as was suggested earlier re deleting the 2 folders and re-authorizing the nook, and it worked this time! Thanks again to everyone who helped me oout!!

Reader
katmel
0 Kudos

i seriously need help.  I am not understanding any of this.  I probably should not have bought my nook, but now it is to late to return it.  I have bookks downloaded in my documents and ket user not authorized, no clue what u all are talking about,  simple terms would be great.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

katmel wrote:

i seriously need help.  I am not understanding any of this.  I probably should not have bought my nook, but now it is to late to return it.  I have bookks downloaded in my documents and ket user not authorized, no clue what u all are talking about,  simple terms would be great.

Plug your Nook into your computer with the usb cable. Double click on the NookDrive find the folder Adobe Digital Editions and delete it. This will allow you to reregister your Nook in ADE. 

New User
aiamo
0 Kudos

Okay, so I did everything under the "Still Not Authorized" because everything before did not work. I got up to, "Then, Open ADE.  It should see the nook as a new device and offer to Authorize it again.  Go thru the authorization process (its like one click If I recall)." I already deleted the ADE folders in my nook and was ready to re-authorize my nook under ADE. Unfortunatly, my nook did not show up as a new device in ADE. I retried this step by closing ADE and reopening but my nook still has not shown up. Please help.

Thanks!

BTW: I have the Nook First Edition

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

aiamo wrote:

Okay, so I did everything under the "Still Not Authorized" because everything before did not work. I got up to, "Then, Open ADE.  It should see the nook as a new device and offer to Authorize it again.  Go thru the authorization process (its like one click If I recall)." I already deleted the ADE folders in my nook and was ready to re-authorize my nook under ADE. Unfortunatly, my nook did not show up as a new device in ADE. I retried this step by closing ADE and reopening but my nook still has not shown up. Please help.

Thanks!

BTW: I have the Nook First Edition

Try opening ADE before you connect your Nook to your computer.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 55 members 1,035 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: