Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Judy54JR
0 Kudos

wireless connection problem

Here is my question. First of all; I LOVE MY NOOK!!! I have gotten alot of people to buy one..I even got one guy who had just bought a kindle to sell it and buy the Nook. You advertise that it will connect to any wireless...that's not true. Anyhow me or my co-workers in the IT department haven't gotten it too here. It will recognize our wireless and even say it's connected but when you try to go on the internet or download books it says it's not connected. I have no problem connecting my laptop or cell phone to our wireless and download from BN but not the Nook. It has something to with our firewall. Our security guy who installed the wireless at the hospital says we can't adjust the settings on the Nook like we can on a laptop. If you know any way that I can connect please let me know. It really bites when you finish reading a book and want the next volume and you can't download it until you get home at night. Please help

Frequent Contributor
JamieOutlaw
0 Kudos

Re: wireless connection problem

I had a similar problem with my wireless network at home ... I could not find any resolution so I gave up.  I hope that the upcoming update to the operating system will fix this.  

So, I either download the books I buy and transfer them via the USB cable or I stop by a B&N store (or Starbucks or other place with an open, free WiFi network) and download them.  It's a minor inconvenience, but not a huge issue for me because there are plenty of free, open wireless networks around me.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@Judy54JR,

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable.

Do you have the WiFi only NOOK or the 3G version (which includes WiFi)?

You may have tried this already but if you haven't, with regards to the WiFi connection problem, try this...

This should fix your connection issue:

1.  Tap on the WiFi tab.

2. Tap on the Wi-Fi hotspot

3.  Tap on the connected Wifi (the one that has the check mark)

4. Tap on Forget

5.  Reboot your NOOK (Hold the power button down for about 20 seconds.  Then hold down the power button for about 4 seconds to restart)

6.  Scan again for Wifi hotspots and then reconnect.

Please let me know if this worked for you...

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Judy54JR wrote:

You advertise that it will connect to any wireless...that's not true.

I think you're reading something that isn't there. I've never seen a claim of "any wireless". That would be an imprudent claim. It was never designed to connect to systems running on channels 12-14 (which aren't allowed in the US) or to systems using Enterprise security (EAP, LEAP, Radius Server, etc.). It's also fundamentally incapable of connecting to systems running only 802.11a or 802.11n.

Since the 1.3 update, NOOK also won't connect to systems running WEP with Shared Key authentication, which is the weakest and most easily crackable wireless security out there.

There's a reason that both Amazon and B&N's first e-readers featured 3G wireless even though they cost more to build and the companies would have to pay the AT&T 3G bills being run up by the users. 3G "just works" almost everywhere in the US.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

What doug says is true, but there is no excuse for nook failing to work with WEP with Shared Key Authentication, since it is widely used, drop dead simple. 

Security concerns on the nook are over-rated.  Its not like its sending your Credit card out over clear text or something.

To Michael-v's suggestion I would add changing your WIFI SSID what he wrote does not work.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

there is no excuse for nook failing to work with WEP with Shared Key Authentication, since it is widely used, drop dead simple.

Plus it worked up through 1.2. They did something to either remove it or break it in 1.3. Then, despite all the grief that unsupporting Shared Key WEP caused with 1.3, B&N didn't put it back for 1.4 when they were bringing out the Wi-Fi-only model. The decision to bring out NOOK Wi-Fi without restoring the Shared Key WEP capability is boggling.

I sure hope they did something in 1.5 to make Wi-Fi less problematic. Even if it's just better diagnostic messages.

New User
raianna
0 Kudos

Hello,

I JUST got a new Nook WiFi, charged it and have been trying to connect to my NetGear 150 router to no avail.   I am not a techie kind of gal, but reading thru all of the posts did give me some ideas to try. 

I could not connect, Nook saw my network but when I entered the CORRECT password, it just failed.  I called CS and the guy insisted the password was wrong and they could not help me further.  Well...I got into my router set up and started looking around.  The SSID was broadcast, my password was right.  I saw a screen that gave permissions to only connect MAC ISP...so I entered the one on my Nook, made sure it did not knock off my other printers and laptops.  And it worked!!  My Nook immediately connected.

I hope it continues but I want to thank each of you who posted on the various threads about not connecting.  I will remember this site in case I need real help in the future!

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

I'm glad you're online and reading now.  :smileyhappy:

New User
mrgorman
0 Kudos

My Nook connected the first time I tried, but failed afterwards. I "Forgot" the original connection, turned off and then on again, and then it reconnected. Hopefully I won't have to do this every day...

Everything else I have seen (just been three days) looks great. I will be using this for both personal and school related reading. Also going to do some testing with students - how many have e-readers, how many use them form personal or school reading, the difference between reading a text book and an e-reader, etc.

New User
nganook
0 Kudos

My Nook Color seems to work when using the browser but the problem is on the Shop application. You would think Barnes & noble would want to fix this.

I called tech support. We tried the forget & reset the connection, reset, hard reset. Nothing helped. Then he told me to take it back to Best Buy to exchange for a new one as I must have a bad unit. Did this and it didn't help. It just won't pickup my Linksys router without constantly dropping & reconnecting. It won't stay connected more than 10-20 seconds or so when trying to search and download a purchase.

I now use the Amazon.com site research the books I want to buy. Then I type the exact title into search and hoe it stays connected long enough to successfully purchase the book.

I have a hard time understanding how someone at Barnes & Noble doesn't recognize this and how much it might be costing them until they can correct the problem. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be a software upgrade to remedy this. I like the hardware itself but I can't recommend this product with this kind of a defect.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

nganook wrote:

My Nook Color seems to work when using the browser but the problem is on the Shop application. You would think Barnes & noble would want to fix this.

I called tech support. We tried the forget & reset the connection, reset, hard reset. Nothing helped. Then he told me to take it back to Best Buy to exchange for a new one as I must have a bad unit. Did this and it didn't help. It just won't pickup my Linksys router without constantly dropping & reconnecting. It won't stay connected more than 10-20 seconds or so when trying to search and download a purchase.

I now use the Amazon.com site research the books I want to buy. Then I type the exact title into search and hoe it stays connected long enough to successfully purchase the book.

I have a hard time understanding how someone at Barnes & Noble doesn't recognize this and how much it might be costing them until they can correct the problem. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be a software upgrade to remedy this. I like the hardware itself but I can't recommend this product with this kind of a defect.

What apps do you have on your Nookcolor? It was mentioned in a post that a bad app was causing a problem on another posters Nookcolor and that they had to have Tech support do a cloud review.

New User
nganook
0 Kudos

I don't have any apps yet. Just a couple of books that I managed to download during the times it works. What i don't understand is why it seems to work in the browser but not for the store. Really bad for marketing the products (books & magazines) they are trying to sell.

New User
racquet
0 Kudos

I was having problems connecting my Nook to my Linksys Router.  I was able to finally get it connected by completing the following:

-look up the Encryption Key in Linksys by clicking on the Linksys Advisor in your computers programs.

-go to the security settings and print them out.

-input the Encryption Key code into the password for your Nook.

It worked for me....try it!!

Reader 4
DeborahNYC
0 Kudos

I just got the New Nook loved the size and weight. I charged it up and was going to register it. I have always used Burger King's wifi with my Pandigital and downloaded all my Nook Library and Nook Books. When I tried to use that wifi for the New Nook, it would not connect due to the fact that Burger King redirects you to a screen to accept their terms and conditions. The same holds true for McDonalds wifi.

The New Nook will not hook up to any redirected page. Any ideas on how to make this work? I could just continue to download the books to my Pandigital and then read them on the Nook, however that defeats the whole purpose of carrying 2 readers with me.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

Go to search.  Type in something like http://yahoo.com

The King will redirect you to their "agree" page and then you'll connect.

New User
Ursula_Marty
0 Kudos

I have a Nook Simple Touch and since the upgrade I cannot connect to my wireless. The customer service offered the same advice as you did - but it still does NOT work.

I registered my new Nook Color today without any problems.

New User
stepkid
0 Kudos

This worked great after we reset the wireless router. Thanks!!

New User
Sohei
0 Kudos

I wasn't informed that my nook tablet was wifi only so I can only currently connect at B&N, Starbucks and that's about it all the other networks around me in my city are locked or WEP seriously just add it as an option please >.<

New User
pamatheritage
0 Kudos

I have read many problem types with the Nook Color failing to connect to a wireless.

After working successfully with my home network for nearly 3 months, my nook became unstable and would continuously log on /off from the network. Nothing in the previous posts had given a solution for me.

Finally after calling my ISP provider, I logged on to my local wireless router and changed the channel under local configuration- this fixed the problem and the nook was once again stable. -Try it - all you have top do is use the browser to log on to the router using the IP address- get it from the command box using upcoming/all. They said that the default channel is 11 and if that does not work change it to channel 6

Good luck with the reconnect.

Reader 4
lisarose10
0 Kudos

I can no longer log in on my simple touch any where tha requries me to agree to service terms.  This means that I can no longer download books when on vacation as nearly every place asks you to accept terms of service when logging onto their service provider.  There used to be a back door, but as near as I can tell, its gone now.  B&N, you are missing out on sales from people who want to download books from a hotel room!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 61 members 715 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: