2noelle
0 Kudos

2.05 update is here!

Minor enhancements, indeed.
Wordsmith
AlbionRose

Re: 2.05 update is here!

[ Edited ]

..so on updating to 2.05 I lost all my apps, preloaded and purchased alike....

Factory Reset brought my apps back, now just need to get it to see my sd card :smileyfrustrated:

Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

I'm still trying to figure out why I bought an SD card for mine -- given that the B&N content is hidden, and can't -- therefore -- be moved from internal to external memory without using the computer app to download, sideload, and then archive so the cover/info doesn't appear on the library (vs clouding it).

But... let it update, reboot, and no other problems seen.
Baron Wulfraed
Inspired Contributor
BrittanynCory
0 Kudos

Please tell me one of the minor enhancements is a fix for shelves? Pretty please? :smileywink: Seriously though, if anyone can post their experience with the new update in detail, that would be great! I think I'm going to wait for the automatic update since I can't actually connect my Nook hd to my powerbook and I think it will be less problematic with apps etc. from what others said on here. Here's hoping their 'minor enhancement' update enhances my spazzy Nook and doesn't make it worse :/ Thanks!
Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

There doesn't appear to be a shelving fix. I just created one shelf and placed 200 books on it., 198 of them were sideloaded content. I rebooted my HD+ and all but the two B&N content books went puff! I will have to see how long the two tnat remained will stay.
Wordsmith
AlbionRose

Looks like they might have sorted out the multiplying files from sd card, which is wonderful!
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

don't seem to have the ability to manage content for shelves anymore. Guess they assumed we didn't need it if we couldn't keep them anyway.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

well I did a test for shelves. After adding one and adding some books to it, I then hooked up to the pc and browsed a bit before unhooking. That used to be enough to cause me to lose my shelves. Not so this time.

Okay..next, let's open Calibre and hook it up again. Calibre saw it and I waited a minute or two before ejecting it in Calibre and unplugging my usb again. Yeah, my shelf and books are still there.

Last test. Hook up again, have Calibre add a few books to my main memory, eject, unplug, check...

Shelves still there.

Now we'll see if it's permanent but if so..YEAH!! I'm going to wait though to make sure. I am still planning to use my Calibre server because it's there and I'm lazy....but I do want to be able to see my sideloaded covers so I want to be able to shelve them separate from the main library so I can browse them on my device when I want to. 

Interested to know the results for others.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Thanks for sharing Compulsive Reader.

I checked on my HD and shelves didn't disappear on restart. It's on 2.0.5 already. Not sure how since it never gave any message.

I have an SD Card on. I added a ton of books but not sure if any were on SD Card.

Also, there's now a box where you can add lots of books at a time. is this new? or has it always been there?

Update: Added a PDF to a shelf that was on SD CArd.

Removed SD Card. Got message: Unmount SD Card before removing to avoid losing data.

PDF got removed from Shelf.

Does not get added back on when SD CArd is put back in.

I don't have Calibre.

Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed

BrittanynCory wrote:
Please tell me one of the minor enhancements is a fix for shelves? Pretty please? :smileywink: Seriously though, if anyone can post their experience with the new update in detail, that would be great! I think I'm going to wait for the automatic update since I can't actually connect my Nook hd to my powerbook and I think it will be less problematic with apps etc. from what others said on here. Here's hoping their 'minor enhancement' update enhances my spazzy Nook and doesn't make it worse :/ Thanks!

What does having a laptop connection have to do with manual updating?

The same WiFi connection used by a pushed update can be used for a manual update. Go to Settings/All Settings/Device Information and tap on the displayed version number to initiatethe check for an update; the device should find an update and provide to download and install it.

Baron Wulfraed
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

This is good to know:

Go to Settings/All Settings/Device Information and tap on the displayed version number to initiatethe check for an update; the device should find an update and provide to download and install it.

I wish B&N would make it easier by putting that 'Check for Updates' button next to version number on the Device Information page itself.

Anyways, thanks a lot. My Nook HD+ was still on 2.0.4 and updating it now.

Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

AlbionRose wrote:
Looks like they might have sorted out the multiplying files from sd card, which is wonderful!

Though the file count on the Settings Storage Management details is wacky... Says I have 44 magazines. It must be counting the ones that were archived along with the ones clouded, as I only have the most recent issue of Asimov and Analog actually on the device.

Taking 37MB too.

Baron Wulfraed
Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed

5ivedom wrote:

This is good to know:

Go to Settings/All Settings/Device Information and tap on the displayed version number to initiatethe check for an update; the device should find an update and provide to download and install it.

I wish B&N would make it easier by putting that 'Check for Updates' button next to version number on the Device Information page itself.

Anyways, thanks a lot. My Nook HD+ was still on 2.0.4 and updating it now.

Uhm…

The last sentence of the UserGuide chapter on updating the Nook mentions this 

:cathappy:

Baron Wulfraed
Inspired Contributor
BrittanynCory
0 Kudos

Thanks! I didn't realize I could get the Nook update on my Nook hd like this! In the past with my Nook color we always went to the B&N link using my PowerBook (when it wasn't considered irrelevant with the new devices) and downloaded it through the USB cord. I'll do this in a bit.

Inspired Correspondent
bugeek
0 Kudos

SD Card is good for storing PDF's, as well as media content (audio/video/photo) brought in by you...

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

update: The "manage content for shelf" DOES pop up when I add a shelf. I just can't get to it otherwise. May be like before, sometimes I could get it, sometimes not. It would be nice if it came up on demand so we could add books if we wanted to later.

Is this what a previous poster was talking about? that a window popped open for mass adding to the shelf? Like I said, it was always an iffy thing for me, so you might not have seen it before.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yes compulsive reader, that's what I meant.

Yeah, they should have it available any time.

Frequent Contributor
HowlMC
0 Kudos

I updated to 2.0.5 and I have noticed an increased performance on my Nook HD+. When scrolling through my shelves, my library, the shop - things are much faster and smoother.  Things just seem to run better. My shelves have stayed intact and I have to say that even before the new update my shelves have stayed intact for the past month. 

Also the manage content option is available for me when I press and hold on a shelf.

Correspondent
DonMN

Same problem here. I am posting from my PC because there is no browser on my Nook HD+ (or no link to it). The update happened automatically sometime this afternoon or evening and there was a notification for it. When I tapped on the notification message for more info, it asked what browser to use, Dolphin, KidsBrowser, or Maxthon. I had previously installed Dolphin and Maxthon. The standard builtin browser was not an option.

So the factory reset is the fix? I tried the Chat support option, but that is unavailable due to excessive wait time. That's a surprise. How does something like this happen?

Also discovered a problem with the recent update to my Nook Simple Touch. Books checked out from the library were unreadable. Had to delete all the Adobe Digital Edition directories and re-download the books.
Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Sounds like one of your add-on browsers is overriding the system browser...

What does the "web" button on the home screen do for you? Is the bluish "Browser" icon shown on the list of Apps?

Baron Wulfraed