Correspondent
DonMN

Re: 2.05 update is here!

There is no "web" button, or "mail" button. The desktop is completely blank except for "LIBRARY", "APPS", AND "SHOP" buttons. If I click on the "APPS" button, there are no apps visible, although I think they are really still installed.
Correspondent
DonMN

As soon as I installed another browser, it started prompting me to select the browser when I click on a bookmark or link in an email. There is an option to set the default application, but I have deliberately chosen not to set a default yet. Before the update, the builtin browser was always in the list. I suspect the update includes a kid-friendly version of the browser.
Correspondent
DonMN

I was able to see many of the apps by going to the APPS screen and pressing volume up and at the same time pressing on the title APPS for a couple seconds.  This takes you to an "extras" screen.  There I found the KidsBrowser browser but it said "You don't have permission to open Browser".  I got a notification about new messages, but when I tapped on the message to view them, it said "You don't have permission to open Email".

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Don, what you are describing sounds a lot like something I ran into when I was using profiles - you may need to get into "edit profiles" mode and re-grant your profile permission to use the apps. 

Profiles

Edit Profiles

Manage Content

A set of tickboxes drops down that grants access to apps, magazines, books, etc.

It sounds like the update blew out your profiles' ability to see apps. 

Hope this fixes it for you.

BN's decided to preserve ADB try to break root with this update;  also, the update was pushed despite preferences set to "do not auto-update," which is very interesting. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
ibelieve1968
0 Kudos

Since the update, I cannot power on my Nook HD if I completely power it off.  I have to plug it in to get it to turn back on and the battery is at 75%  Fabulous

Correspondent
DonMN

[ Edited ]
Thanks, roustabout. That helped. I could get back all the core apps. There were 10 listed under Manage Content. But all the other preloaded apps and the ones that I added are not on the Apps screen. I discovered that by going to Library / Files and selecting a txt file that it will ask which app to open and there I can pick my other browsers Dolphin and Maxthon. Also, the option to add bookmarks to my Home screen is back. I thought maybe they removed that option like they removed the Widget option. There is problem with bookmarks on the home screen because it is hard to tell what the bookmark is for with only a thumbnail image and no text label.
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

[ Edited ]

compulsivereaderTX wrote:

update: The "manage content for shelf" DOES pop up when I add a shelf. I just can't get to it otherwise. May be like before, sometimes I could get it, sometimes not. It would be nice if it came up on demand so we could add books if we wanted to later.

Is this what a previous poster was talking about? that a window popped open for mass adding to the shelf? Like I said, it was always an iffy thing for me, so you might not have seen it before.

It's there, but the instructions in the manual aren't the best.  It says "tap", when it should be more of a "hold."  (It's under Organizing Library Content on Shelves.)

Go to My Library, then Shelves.  Don't tap the shelf, "hold" the shelf and you should (cross fingers) get 3 options.  Manage Content (which should get you to your content where you can mass select items), Rename Shelf, or Remove Shelf.

Interestingly enough, when you go to manage your content this way, you don't get an option to select My Files (then your sideloaded books, if that's where you've stored them.)  I honestly can't remember if you could do it this way before the update though.  (Have been avoiding adding any sideloaded books to any shelves until this issue stablizes.)  You can still add a sideloaded book to a shelf it you select it individually though.  (Though that may not be wise.)

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Thanks nookgardener. Yeah, tapping only opens the shelf. :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

I think I may have spoken too soon on the duplication issue - I know that others still had it with movies, and I now have it again with photos and music :smileysad:

Though it did act differently than with 2.04, so I will persist with trying to get rid of them.

CS's recommended approach to swapping SD cards, which is power down the device then take it out, doesn't seem to have prevented the ghosting from happening.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

thanks NookGardener. That's going to save me an incredible amount of time when I do my shelves.

Like you, I'm waiting for the Shelves issue to get fixed.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

AlbionRose wrote:

I think I may have spoken too soon on the duplication issue - I know that others still had it with movies, and I now have it again with photos and music :smileysad:

Though it did act differently than with 2.04, so I will persist with trying to get rid of them.

CS's recommended approach to swapping SD cards, which is power down the device then take it out, doesn't seem to have prevented the ghosting from happening.

I may have missed something but what about the Settings/All Settings/Storage Management page; tap the "greater than" (nook keyboard lacks character!) for the SD card. There is an "unmount SD card" option. THEN power down and remove the card.

Baron Wulfraed
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,244
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Wulfraed wrote:

I may have missed something but what about the Settings/All Settings/Storage Management page; tap the "greater than" (nook keyboard lacks character!) for the SD card. There is an "unmount SD card" option. THEN power down and remove the card.

Powering down any Nook automatically does the "unmount".

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Correspondent
DonMN

Trying to avoid the "Erase and Deregister" option, I thought that I could just re-install the missing apps. I started with Netflix.  I have version 2.0 installed and the Nook store showed it at version 2.1 so I thought I would get fix the problem and also get the latest version.  It would not install because it said Netflix was already installed. Why would it not recognize that a newer version was available?

So I went to Settings and un-installed Netflix and went back to the Nook store, but it still said Netflix was already installed. Even though I had un-installed Netflix, it still showed up in the "extras" list of apps. I tried to remove it there, but the only options were to add it to Home or a Shelf

So I went ahead with the "Erase and Deregister" option which set everything back to normal.  One of my apps, "Track Your Battery Life & Memory," was missing.  It apparently was removed from the list of approved Nook HD+ apps.

But the good news for Netflix is that the most current version, 2.1, installed when I tapped on the Netflix icon.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

You were probably supposed to use a "check for updates" to get 2.1 <G>
Baron Wulfraed
Contributor
Flamberge

The mandatory update hit my HD+ and rendered all my content inaccessible. After messing with it for a few hours, I reluctantly had to erase and deregister, losing all my app data. Now QuickOffice Pro no longer shows up in my list of downloaded apps nor in the shop. What exactly are the benefits to this update?
Bibliophile
5ivedom

1) DonMN, what the previous commenter said - To get latest versions you have to do following:

a) On the Apps Page, at the bottom left, there is a menu button.

Press it.

b) In it, tap on check for updates.

c) Wait 30 to 60 seconds.

Now you'll get a dialog with updates. You can press Update to update one of the apps OR update all to update all.

2) This: One of my apps, "Track Your Battery Life & Memory," was missing.  It apparently was removed from the list of approved Nook HD+ apps.

Don, we had an error in the HD and HD+ version. Changing settings wasn't working and there was no way to turn off the existing alarms. So we've pulled it. In 2013 January we'll do an update that makes it work fine on HD and HD+ and then it'll be available again.

Sorry for the inconvenience. The developer who did the app isn't with us any more and he used some external libraries - which makes it not a simple fix since we have to first understand the use of those libraries.

Correspondent
DonMN
0 Kudos

Thanks, Wulfraed and 5ivedom.

I am used to Google Play and Amazon Apps on my phone where apps that have updates available are in a separate list. Did not know there was a Check for Updates option.

Flamberge,

OfficeSuite Professional 6 was there after I did the "Erase and Deregister". Is this the same as QuickOffice Pro?

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

DonMN wrote:

Thanks, Wulfraed and 5ivedom.

I am used to Google Play and Amazon Apps on my phone where apps that have updates available are in a separate list. Did not know there was a Check for Updates option.

Flamberge,

OfficeSuite Professional 6 was there after I did the "Erase and Deregister". Is this the same as QuickOffice Pro?

No, they are separate applications - apparently Quick Office Pro is not currently available for the HD/HD+ - hopefully it will be available again soon.  I have it on my HD+ and have noted that it is no longer able to see files on the SD card - fixing this issue may be the reason it has been removed from the app store.

Contributor
Flamberge
0 Kudos

No, QuickOffice Pro is a separate app unfortunately. Had I known it would disappear, I would have gotten Office Professional.
Frequent Contributor
kevinp
0 Kudos

bugeek wrote:

SD Card is good for storing PDF's, as well as media content (audio/video/photo) brought in by you...

Unfortunately, the stock reader really stinks at reading PDFs and I'm too cheap to pay for an app that the stock reader should be able to handle. The 2.0.5 update did nothing to fix this.