Frequent Contributor
kevinp
0 Kudos

Re: 2.05 update is here!

Wulfraed wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out why I bought an SD card for mine -- given that the B&N content is hidden, and can't -- therefore -- be moved from internal to external memory without using the computer app to download, sideload, and then archive so the cover/info doesn't appear on the library (vs clouding it).

But... let it update, reboot, and no other problems seen.

I know why I bought an SD card -- so I could run Android Jelly Bean on my Nook HD+!

Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

Tap just to the right of the shelf & it should bring up "manage content." I found this accidentally. It will bring up the list with all your books.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

thanks SeaCityLady. Is SeaCity = Seattle?

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

The only thing I notice different is that my carosel disappeared.

Inspired Contributor
sflawguy1
0 Kudos

That is interesting, Doreen.  Can you use the space, can you put icons in that space?  If you want it back, there is a setting where you can choose what is in the carousel.  Probably everything got unchecked in your device somehow.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

I wish my carousel would disappear!  It's not that I totally hate it--but I don't find it useful and would prefer to opt out of it.  When I'd look at the Kindle Fire, the carousel was one of the features that turned me off to it.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Doreenpv wrote:

The only thing I notice different is that my carosel disappeared.

did your home page move right or left? Maybe you are looking at one of the blank pages. I did that once and momentarily panicked till I realized what I had done.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

BFCoughlin, you can do the following to get rid of the Carousel:

1) Go to Settings. Then Applications. Then click on Home.

2) In Select Shelf Behavior choose 'Inbox'.

3) In the rows below that section, uncheck everything.

Now - Carousel gone.

There is, unfortunately, no way to use that space. However, at least the Carousel is gone.

Also, FYI, I have Kindle Fire HD and hate the carousel.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv

I am on the center home page and there is no carousel.

I cannot move any other icon in it's place. When I try, the icon just slides back to it's original spot.

I agree...it is useless and I am glad it's gone.

I wish I could use that space like on my tablet.

Checked my settings and all  are checked, which means I should have items on my carousel.

Inspired Correspondent
Htom_Serveaux

Well, I got hit with the 2.05 update last night and, sure enough, my home page no longer has a "Web" or "Email" icon, all my apps appear to be gone, as well as my entire library.

I've gone through this thread and the only applicable entries I see are to edit profiles and restore access to some of the items like the web browser and apps.  However, I've never set up any profiles and I don't see any place to edit them under any of the settings.

Not sure what "erase and deregister" does.  Just re-register and everything magically re-appears?

I've been a staunch fan and supporter of B&N and the nook since the 1st edition, but I'm having my doubts now.  It's been years and they still don't have this software stuff figured out.  Did they not see the reports of these problems?  I work for a software company and if we had issues like this I can guarantee you we would have stopped rolling out the update until they were resolved.  A generic androd tablet is seeming like a better idea all the time....

But that's for future Homer to worry about.  Is there an authoritative resolution to this, or just try everything listed and hope for the best?

Thanks to all.

Correspondent
DonMN

To edit profiles, just tap on your name in the top left part of the screen and you will see an option to "Edit Profiles".  That does not solve the problem.  You can get some things back but not all apps.  Nothing is really gone, they are just not visible.  You will likely have to "Erase and De-register" which is like a factory reset.  Before you do that, go into Library / My Files and save anything that is important and that you don't have a copy of somewhere else.  After the reset, your list of apps will include anything you have purchased and you will be able to download them again.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Thanks for the steps DonMN.

Regarding this.

I work for a software company and if we had issues like this I can guarantee you we would have stopped rolling out the update until they were resolved.  A generic androd tablet is seeming like a better idea all the time....

I read on a stock site discussion board that B&N has outsourced the coding.

I think Nook is now at a stage where the core OS should be considered too important to send out for someone else to do.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Cheap at any price

[ Edited ]

5ivedom wrote:

I read on a stock site discussion board that B&N has outsourced the coding.

I think that's part of the reason that B&N's software releases rarely fix any customer issues.  In an in-house development team, minor changes are often easily rolled into a release without a great deal of fuss.  However, when the software development is contracted out, depending upon the terms of the contract, each change can be separately priced.  When this happens, the economic pressure to skip "unimportant" changes is huge.

I've seen this elsewhere, where greed or penny-pinching in a maintenance contract kills needed changes.  My best example is Nikon, who continued to sell a slide-film digital scanner until after Windows 7 was released.  Nikon has 32- and 64- bit support for the scanner for Windows Vista, but has declined for over three years to issue an update so that the software will work on WIndows 7.

Probably too much effort, you say?  How about the fact that someone familiar with Windows software installation files, found that a ONE-LINE change to the ASCII .INF installation/configuration file, allowed the software to install and run successfully on Windows 7.  Nikon long ago was informed of this fact, but has not posted the change to their software download site.

You think Nikon customers (especially serious amateurs and professionals, who are the most likely to buy a $1200 film scanner), don't remember this kind of treatment ???  As a result of this and other actions by Nikon, Nikon is slowly losing the professional photographer market.

Oh, those Nikon scanners now sell for $2500 on eBay.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Frequent Contributor
Randy_Hayes
0 Kudos

Re: Cheap at any price

I am very displeased at the way this has hosed my system.  No option to opt out of the update, and I wake up yesterday to see a notification that I've been updated, and all my content is inaccessible.  Negative help from the foreign ladies on 800-THE-BOOK.  I deregistered and started from scratch, hosing six carefully-curated profiles for my family members, not to mention game progress, and tons of content to re-download.  Unfortunately, the gallery's stock desktop backgrounds and profile pictures were erased with the de-register.  What a poor way to treat a five-times nook device buyer.  Feeling kind of sucker-punched.

Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

I was out of the country for a few days when the update was first launched, so I was unaware there was one cominhg. This morning, I was surprised to see my Nook HD+ getting the update over the air.  I was somewhat apprehensive, however, to my surprise, and once the device restarted, everything was there and the device was and still IS working properly.  I guess I am a lucky Nook owner.  

Lector GS
Inspired Contributor
gogirlEH
0 Kudos

Mine has worked great too plus just got my n2a card and I am loving it.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Cheap at any price

Dean, this is the kind of stuff I just don't understand -

Probably too much effort, you say?  How about the fact that someone familiar with Windows software installation files, found that a ONE-LINE change to the ASCII .INF installation/configuration file, allowed the software to install and run successfully on Windows 7.  Nikon long ago was informed of this fact, but has not posted the change to their software download site.

It's incredible.

Randy_Hayes, sorry to hear about your experience.

My HD updated automatically and was fine. HD+ I updated myself before reading here about this bug. That update went fine too.

It would be nice if B&N did something like a Backup feature for Profiles.

That's one thing I've learnt - wherever you do customer data or customer profiles you should always have backups. We still have to implement it fully in all our apps. However, we're getting there.

I've seen lots of games start moving to storing game progress in the cloud. That's a good move in my opinion.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
Claimdude
0 Kudos

I got me Nook HD+ for Christmas today and am happy to say setup was uneventful, the HD downloaded the 2.05 update while setting. It downloaded all my books, magazines and apps an they work properly!

Frequent Contributor
Randy_Hayes
0 Kudos

Restore stock content

Would anyone be willing to post an archive of the HD+'s gallery images so I can restore them?  This would be the profile images and static desktop backgrounds.