Correspondent
DonMN
0 Kudos

Re: Cheap at any price

Curiously, since I did my reset on Sunday, the two extra profiles I created have returned. Don't know when this happened. So they must be doing a backup in the cloud.
Contributor
ibelieve1968
0 Kudos

Re: 2.05 update is here!

[ Edited ]

Disregard my post reference my Nook HD not booting back up after a power off.  I have since discovered that my problem was due to my Class 10 32gb micro sd card. Once I removed it, its starts perfectly everytime. Apparently, the Nook HD only supports up to Class 6, guess I should have read the directions better!!

Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed

Re: Restore stock content

[ Edited ]

Regarding the background images...

I don't think I've seen them even browsing with OpenExplorer (or whatever it is called)... The factory images may be part of the stuff in the hidden partition, and only accessible if one "roots" the device (which might make them unusable for others on non-rooted devices)

Baron Wulfraed
Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

ibelieve1968 wrote:

Disregard my post reference my Nook HD not booting back up after a power off.  I have since discovered that my problem was due to my Class 10 32gb micro sd card. Once I removed it, its starts perfectly everytime. Apparently, the Nook HD only supports up to Class 6, guess I should have read the directions better!!

I'm surprised a Class 10 could cause boot problems...

However, FYI, Class 10 card speed is rated for streaming write access on a freshly formatted card -- eg; a long clip by a video camera. Once a card gets fragmented, or has multiple short files, the Class 10 card is unrated...

Class 2/4/6, OTOH, is based upon fragmented, short, file access -- what you'd find in a data application, not video application. So while a Class 10 may be nearly twice the speed of a Class 6 when reformatted and used for video, it is possible (if unlikely) for the Class 10 be worse than a Class 4 when used with random access data files. I'd expect a SanDisk/Transcend/Lexar Class 10 to be no worse than a Class 6 in data applications -- but the cheaper brands may have been highly optimized for streaming video and have almost no speed when jumping around in memory (they may also not have load leveling to avoid always writing to the same spots in memory).

Baron Wulfraed
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

ibelieve1968 wrote:

Check the manual. Did you have your HD format the card? That could be the problem if you didn't. Class 6 should work.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Re: Cheap at any price

I chose to install the update as soon as it came out, and it came thru flawlessly. (All content & profiles intact.). Then I chose to do a erase and reregister (there was some residual files from apps that I had uninstalled hanging out.) I was pleasantly surprised when my 3 profiles reappeared!!! Had to redownload and change a few of my settings. But all in all, it worked really well. I wonder what is causing different results?
Correspondent
cybersmoke53

Well I got my Christmas Surprise.  I made the mistake of turning on my internet yesterday so my Nook HD+ could update emails.  I had been reading a book without internet and then I put the Nook HD+ down on a table so I could go check on my Christmas dinner I was preparing and when I went back to to check my Nook it was not on the page of my book. Instead it looked as if it was updating! I didn't even know an update was available yet as I had not checked earlier. When the update completed I had no wallpaper, no internet icons, no email, and worst of all absolutely NO PURCHASED CONTENT was accessible. Since books are stored someplace we can't look at I couldn't find any trace of my 900+ books and although the app section on the settings showed my apps still installed the apps page had no content. Going to the master profile and managing content only let 16 apps reappear.  I was not a happy camper.  Does ANYONE with ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE of the DEVICE ACTUALLY TEST THESE THINGS!!  My company would fire me if I let a software update go out like this!!!  I tried the soft reset and got nothing back. The hated carousel was gone but that was because all the BN content was GONE!

The only content I had was my sideloaded books and stuff on my SD card!

After reading through the postings I reluctantly did the erase/reregister thing after I unmounted my sd card for safety as I had some stuff backed up to it.  The reregister was sucessful and all my content except for Quick Office Pro ( missing in action) was back.  I have to redownload everything!! I lost all apps settings, game progress but at least stuff is back. BN needs to put a warning label on this minor update that you needs to backup your files in the internal memory before letting the update rip. Unfortunately my update happened with no warning at all.  BTW My Carousel returned with my BN content.

Inspired Correspondent
Htom_Serveaux
0 Kudos

Had to do the "erase and re-register" operation.

Never mind the re-set up of the network, re-setup of e-mail, browser bookmarks, etc.  But I really, really, have to go through and re-download all my books one at a time?  There's no download all option?  No way to synch with nook for PC?  Copying the files from the nook for PC folder to the internal nook HD storage just duplicates all the titles (one "real" one waiting for download and the copied one with a generic cover icon).

I have only about 200 titles.  I've seen people on here with 1,000+.  That's a lot of tapping and waiting.

Inspired Contributor
BrittanynCory
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I believe 1968, I use a class 10 sd card in my nook hd and the only real problem I've ever had is any shelves I make to organize my books disappear if I hook it up to my pc. Otherwise it's worked pretty well. I turn it on and off all the time with zero issues (I've owned it for about 2 months now). I needed a higher class for all my audio books. This is the first time I even heard that they didn't support higher class sd cards. I think that the shelves disappearing is a common issue for most on here so I'm not sure that that is your problem. I thought I'd comment just in case, like me, you had wanted or needed a high class sd card for a reason and so anyone else that saw this thread would know that a class 10 sd card CAN work just fine in a Nook HD. I hope you're able to resolve your nook issues soon!

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Brittany, this is an issue with all SD Cards. Apparently it might have to do with Android 4.0 issues.

the only real problem I've ever had is any shelves I make to organize my books disappear if I hook it up to my pc

Sorry to hear about people losing access to all their stuff and having to do a Erase & Deregister.

Cybersmoke53 - My thoughts exactly:

My company would fire me if I let a software update go out like this!!!

This is a shipblocker. Not sure how it was missed.

Frequent Contributor
Randy_Hayes
0 Kudos

For those who are experiencing the missing content issue, since B&N is MIA on responding to this miniature crisis, I would like to try hunt down common factors and try to find a fix within the community of users here.  I had mentioned previously that a full de-register/reset left me without the stock wallpapers and avatar images.  I ran the de-register again with my SD card removed, and this time I have a genuine factory reset complete with the stock images.  This leads me to wonder if having an SD card inserted is a factor in the content-is-missing issue.

• If you are having the issue, do you have an SD card inserted?  (Mine is a Class 2 32 GB SanDisk.)
  • If you did not have the issue after the update, do you not have an SD card inserted?  Or if you do, what are the specs?
  • Before you endure the hassle of the full reset, try unmounting the SD card and do a full power cycle -- I believe someone else described the process being to hold down the hardware power button, then hold down the confirm shutdown button on the screen while continuing to hold down the power button.  Boot back up with SD card out.  Did you content reappear?

Let us know your results.

Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed

Randy_Hayes wrote:

For those who are experiencing the missing content issue, since B&N is MIA on responding to this miniature crisis, I would like to try hunt down common factors and try to find a fix within the community of users here.  I had mentioned previously that a full de-register/reset left me without the stock wallpapers and avatar images.  I ran the de-register again with my SD card removed, and this time I have a genuine factory reset complete with the stock images.  This leads me to wonder if having an SD card inserted is a factor in the content-is-missing issue.

• If you are having the issue, do you have an SD card inserted?  (Mine is a Class 2 32 GB SanDisk.)
  • If you did not have the issue after the update, do you not have an SD card inserted?  Or if you do, what are the specs?
  • Before you endure the hassle of the full reset, try unmounting the SD card and do a full power cycle -- I believe someone else described the process being to hold down the hardware power button, then hold down the confirm shutdown button on the screen while continuing to hold down the power button.  Boot back up with SD card out.  Did you content reappear?

Let us know your results.

1. 32 GB, unknown make, probably Class 6 (unless the only ones were 10s).
  2. No noticed problems after update - SD card may have had one or two PDF files on it (my plan had been to do as with the 1st Edition, duplicate read content to SD card and archive off main memory, but found new devices hide downloaded content and don't have Archive command - also, content on SD card still showed up in main library).
  3. n/a

That said, since most rooting schemes rely on booting from an SD card, perhaps some content type on the card is confusing the reboot from update.

Secondary thought: I updated using the check-for-update command. That meant the devicewas in a known state, the majority of update problems appear to have been automatic pushesduring idle periods.

Baron Wulfraed
Correspondent
ewilson1114

I do NOT have the issue after updating. I do have a microSD inserted-- Sandisk class 10 32 gb. It was in when I updated. I updated by pressing "check for updates" so it was not automatic.
Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I did have the issue;

I do have sd card inserted - 32GB scandisk class 4;

I checked for updates using device info menu.

also i am in UK, and am aware that our OS has been tweaked so that msy be a factor.

my device updated to 2.0.4 as soon as i registered originally

By the time this dicussion started i had already de-registered to resolve.

Reader 2
karenh3

Did not have any issues with the 2.05 update. I don't have an SD card inserted and all my books and apps show up fine after update. I have an HD+ if that makes any difference. Karen
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Nook HD - No issue.

• If you did not have the issue after the update, do you not have an SD card inserted?  Or if you do, what are the specs?

Kingston 8 GB MicroSDcard. 4X

Nook HD+ - No issue. No SD Card.

Correspondent
cybersmoke53
0 Kudos

I had the issue.  I lost ALL Barnes and Noble Content.  I did have a Sansdisk Class 4 32GB card installed. My update came over the air unannounced while I had my Nook sitting on a table. I had been in the middle of reading a book. I  went and turned on my DSL wi-fi connection after a storm passed ( I had the DSL shutdown during the storm)  So no I didn't receive the update by going to check updates.  I usually update via the Check Updates option in the Settings under Device information but I was not doing that this time.

After the update installed I was left with my base profile and no avatars, wallpapers, apps, books, etc from Barnes and Noble.  All content sideloaded on my SD card was still pressent and ALL Apps were still showing under Settings, Applications, My Apps  ... but the apps were not in the APPS screen for launching.  The library only showed the sideloaded books. I was able to go to my profile and manage content and get 16 apps back. One of these apps was a task manager app that has the ability to show the installed apps and then launch them so I could launch apps this way so the apps weren't really gone just invisible on the system apps menu. I am guessing the books were invisible on the Library menu but unlike the apps I had no way to access them to "launch". 

I finanally had to erase/deregister and reregister to get the BN content back on the menus.

The only improvement I've noticed is that I can page faster through my Library.  If I sideload a book to my SD card I have to actually shutdown the Nook and restart it to get the Nook to recognized that the book is there.  Once I am reading in the Sideloaded book if I shutdown/restart the Nook the sideloaded book doesn't "stay" in the keep reading bar.  Instead I have to search for the book and reopen it that way. It also doesn't show as a recent opened book either. So reading the SD card for books seems worse after the update.

Frequent Contributor
MarshaInSC
0 Kudos

I don't know when my Nook HD+ updated -- I have been traveling and was unaware of the update until visiting this board.

My HD+ appears to have all my apps, books and magazines.  All my side-loaded books are here.  I have not side-loaded any apps yet -- everything is still stock.

I did have an SD card inserted when the update took place - Patriot 32gb Class 10.  My HD+ did not recognize the card.  However, after a restart (nothing special -- just the normal power off, then back on) with the card inserted I was able to see all the content on my card.

I do not have any profiles or shelves -- don't need profiles, and was waiting on the shelving issue to be fixed  before wasting time on shelving (is there a thread somewhere on shelving in Calibre?)

So far so good.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

Tried to amend my entry - HD+ 16 GB

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 527
Solutions: 40
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience many of you have faced. It seems most if not all of you have resolved this problem via erase & deregister. However, to help narrow down this issue, can anyone still experiencing this problem please PM me with their details.

In addition, when navigating to library and tapping "manage content for profile" from the menu on the bottom left of the screen; are the different categories displaying the correct number of files? ie Books (295 of 295)

- Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.