Larrym19
0 Kudos

2.1 Upgrade - can no longer read comics

This is just great. I have 64GB of comics (CBZ files) on a microSD card that

I was just reading this morning. I then upgraded to firmware 2.1 and not I

get a "DRP Reader Failed" error message when I try to open them. Did

no one on the QA team ever think to try to open a comic BEFORE the

software was released?

One of the MAIN reasons I bought his thing was to read comics. Now what?

Buy an iPad?

If you read comics do NOT apply this upgrade until (and if) B&N fixes this

rather sever error.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: 2.1 Upgrade - can no longer read comics

What is DRP Reader.

Can you not find a comic book reading app in the Google Play Store. Out of 700K apps there must be at least a few.

Contributor
Fast_Freddie
0 Kudos

I use it to read magazines I zipped up and then changed the ectension to cbz. I hope the fix also makes the compressed rar files with cbr extension. Would be nice. It is a bummer they screwed up the "fix".

New User
FafhrdDL

Clear Launcher doesn't work, so even if you install a comics reader from the Play store, clicking on a CBZ will still try to open it in the default reader. The only workaround is to install a third party file browser, too.

Weirdly, it still pulls the cover images out in the library, so it's still able to read a CBZ on some level.

But comics reading in the default reader was generally a much nicer experience than in third party readers.

The only other thing I can think of is converting the CBZs into PDFs and reading them that way, but that's still an annoying amount of work.
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

it is worth trying the comics on internal memory - it may not work, but there are some odd things about sdcards in ics and jb.
"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
maxspr1
0 Kudos

Having the comics on your internal memory doesn't help. The stock reader still won't read cbz files anymore.

I will admit that I miss the stock reader's ability to read comics, too. I really liked having all of my reading material in one library instead of spread out over multiple apps. So far, this is the only complaint I have after the 2.1 update, but I upgraded to this larger device (HD+) from my 7" tablet specifically to take advantage of it's screen size for reading comics, so it's not an insignificant complaint...

Anyway, I have used a few third party cbz/cbr readers from the Google Play store before, and I found my favorite was Comicat. The resolution of the pages seems better than on the stock reader, strangely enough. the only feature I wish Comicat had that it doesn't is the stock reader's ability to pull up the small preview pages along the bottom so you can quickly scroll through and pick a page to jump to. If Comicat has this capability, I haven't found it yet.

Another reader I liked was ComickRack. It has great image resolution and the little preview pages like I mentioned above, but it won't let you organize your comics in any way other than a listing of every single comic in alphabetical order. If you have hundreds of comics, you have to scroll through every single one to get to the one you want to read instead of keeping different series or related comics in separate folders (or on "shelves"). This was kind of a deal breaker for me. The pay version may have more organizational capabilities but it's pricey if I remember correctly. 

You may want to give one or both a look and see if they'll help you enjoy reading comics on your nook again...

roustabout
0 Kudos

losing that from the stock reader is almost certainly a bug which will hopefully be fixed. comics reading was a big selling point for these devices.
"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
Utenahime
0 Kudos

The fact that it had a native cbz reader is why I bought it in the first place. That 'bug' means I can't access 95% of the material on my Nook. As far as I'm concerned I'm taking it to B&N and demanding my money back. I have had it with this bs. 

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
0 Kudos

Utenahime wrote:

The fact that it had a native cbz reader is why I bought it in the first place. That 'bug' means I can't access 95% of the material on my Nook. As far as I'm concerned I'm taking it to B&N and demanding my money back. I have had it with this bs. 

You can demand all you want, if you're beyond the 14 days it's physically impossible for a store to give you your money back (the POS won't allow it without overrides).

Maybe you should calm down and give them more than a single weekend to fix a little bug.

Frequent Contributor
BFH-CA
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

Utenahime wrote:

You can demand all you want, if you're beyond the 14 days it's physically impossible for a store to give you your money back (the POS won't allow it without overrides).

Maybe you should calm down and give them more than a single weekend to fix a little bug.

Calm down?  Its taken them almost 6 months to fix the browser issue and look how they handled that!  

Contributor
Utenahime
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

So what, I'm just supposed to sit here with a $200 paperweight hoping that they might get around to fixing this? Screw that and screw you. I gave them my money, not Kindle and not Apple, because they advertised the comic book reading aspect of the Nook. So even if they get around to fixing it in a couple of weeks that still means that A. I can't use it for a couple of weeks and B. now I'm going to have to worry about something happening to the CBZ reader every time it updates - updates that I have no actual ability to control.

Because honestly that's what makes me the most furious about this. If B&N acted like every other company, I would have seen that there was a new update, gone online to check it out, seen that there was a problem with the CBZ reader, and waited for a fix before updating. I understand mistakes can be made and bugs happen. That's why I always check before updating my ipod or really important apps or software on my computer. But no. literally have no control over this. shut it off on Saturday and everything's fine and normal. turn it on, on Sunday and BAM! can't use it.

And as a side note - I don't know if you've ever worked in a bookstore, but having to get a manager to come input an override code is not that big of a deal. From a customer's POV, sure I guess I can see it looking like a big deal because it means you have to wait in line a little longer. But from a bookseller's POV it's just a minor annoyance.

Frequent Contributor
cindylee60
0 Kudos

I'm not a big comic reader, but I too remember how much the ability to read comics was advertised with the HD's. If I was in your shoes, I'd be mad as hell too.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
0 Kudos

Utenahime wrote:

And as a side note - I don't know if you've ever worked in a bookstore, but having to get a manager to come input an override code is not that big of a deal. 

I currently work for BN, so thank you for telling me what I can and can't do in my job.

Contributor
Larrym19
0 Kudos

What gets me is that QA "should" have at LEAST been given a LIST of file formats that the Nook can handle and then attempted to open each one before the software update went live. This is what I would call a bare minimum test. BTW - I have been using Perfect Viewer and it is about the best of about 5 that I have tried. Of course it's not Full Screen like the default reader "WAS" but hey, at least one can read comics. Also - one more thing. This piece of info GREATLY opened up my comic reading experience on the Nook and should be more common knowledge that what it is. The CBZ container can have MULTIPLE comic folders inside of it - not just a single one. I have 1GB files FULL of series and I don't have to go looking for the next comic in the series for weeks. When you finish one you'll move to the next folder in the container. I'm sure the CBR format is the same. So throw multiple folders into the CBZ - whatever makes sense to you - sit back and enjoy reading for months without having to find another one. I dropped from almost 2,000 separate files that were "Books" down to < 100, making my Books List MUCH easier to navigate and search.
roustabout

Rather than venting here, fun as that is, I hope people will head over to the Nook Issue Forums with their trouble reports.

Right now there are a grand total of two open issues and between them they have, I think, 5 votes.  

So from one perspective BN can consider the 2.1 update to have been well-accepted and buttery smooth.  

Contributor
Utenahime
0 Kudos

Well as a former B&N employee, I don't see the need to make an override code sound so dramatic.

And nice job ignoring the actual point of my post.
Bibliophile
5ivedom

Why are you writing stuff here. B&N doesn't read this forum.

Go write it in the Issues Reporting Forum - http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Ideas-Suggestions/idb-p/NOOKSuggestions

And people here are just trying to help. Venting on them defeats the purpose.

No one here caused the problem. It's a software bug caused by the update. Regardless of what grand justification you might think you have you can't be rude to people here who just help people.

Go talk to B&N. If you need to vent go kick a ball or something.

New User
mecha
0 Kudos

I just spoke with customer support. I was told that a ticket would be created to fix this issue in the next update. They told me in the meantime to use a third party app - Adobe PDF reader was what they specifically recommended, even though I told them the issue was with cbz files. Whether it gets fixed or not, I suppose we'll see.

Inspired Correspondent
bugeek
0 Kudos

I do understand folks frustration, the update that hybridized play has some issues even though some have kludgey workarounds and even a point release is a bit overdue, still gives no reason to rant and attack folks here. Really appreciate 5dom mentioning this.

Don't shoot the Messenger!
New User
mecha
0 Kudos

2.1.1 lets me read cbz files again! Does anyone know how to use the Comic Viewer panel by panel feature? I can't seem to find it anymore since the update.