Correspondent
mogulman
0 Kudos

ADE Problem - This book has been returned

I am attempting to read my second library book on Nook HD+.  The first one worked perfectly.  I downloaded the second book from my PC to the Nook and when I try to read it it says this book has been returned.  ADE says I have 2 weeks and it opens perfectly in ADE so clearly the Nook HD+ is confused.  I rechecked my ADE registration and I am still registered on the Nook.  I redid it again and same error.  I'll try my NC just to verify but something is terribly wrong. 

Correspondent
mogulman
0 Kudos

Re: ADE Problem - This book has been returned

It appears if you return any library book it returns everyone of them.  Software version 2.0.2

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

That's a very strange bug.

If you go to Settings > Device Information

there will be a row that shows the Device version number. Just click on that. You get a screen with 'Check for Updates' button. Click that and it will update you to V2.0.5.

They might have fixed this issue in V2.0.5.

New User
j_e_n_11
0 Kudos

I am having a similar problem on my new Nook HD, but mine does not appear to be related to returning library books. I downloaded my first book just fine last week and now I am trying to transfer another library book to it and I get the error "This book has been returned". The book downloads to ADE and I can open it on there. My Nook is authorized on ADE and the book looks like it transferred to the Nook, but I keep getting the error. I have restarted my Nook, uninstalled and reinstalled ADE, and tried different library books.

I am runing v2.0.5

Anyone with ideas?

Correspondent
mogulman
0 Kudos

I just assumed it was because I returned the book it was due to that.  If jen11 is having the problem without returning a book then I probably have the same problem.  I am at v2.0.2.  When I do check for update it says there are no updates.  I have the HD+.

Correspondent
mogulman
0 Kudos

I used the Overdrive app and Overdrive reader and it works.  I prefer the other reader but this works for now.

New User
j_e_n_11
0 Kudos

I found that the overdrive app also works for me, but the page loading is so annoying. I tried to chat with B&N help and sent them an email with no response to either. I may just return this POS and get a Kindle Fire. It is so frustrating that I can't read library books from my Nook library.

New User
j_e_n_11
0 Kudos

I did a factory reset and then uninstalled / reinstalled ADE. Finally - I successfully got library books onto my Nook! Then, I unplug the Nook from my computer and plug it back in and try to add another book and I get the error "This book has been returned." I can still access the ones I downloaded right after doing the reset, but can't add anymore. What the heck! I certainly am not going to do a reset everytime I want to download a library book.

Contributor
Sailracer
0 Kudos

As has been mentioned by others, Nook HD/+ is not recognized in the ADE program. I download via Overdrive which gives prettymuch the same options that the Nook reader does. Page turns and font and color selections seem fine.

The advantage is that the downloads ore done without need to be connected to a pc.

Contributor
blackstrat
0 Kudos

To download a library book then read it in the native reader... Download the book into ADE, then plug the Nook into your computer. Open up the Nook, in computer/my computer. Drag and drop the book into the download folder. Now, right click on the ADE folder and delete it. While the Nook is still plugged in, hold the power button on the Nook and soft reset it. ( hold the button until the screen goes black) Turn the Nook back on, go to settings and log back into ADE, while the Nook is connected to WiFi...
New User
J-m-bJB
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problems - books that I have downloaded from my local library are telling me that they have been returned, when there is still 3 weeks remaining on the lending period. I've successfully read the first book I downloaded, but the second is insistent that it has been returned. ADE seems to be set up correctly, my Nook's software is up to date, so I'm a bit lost as to what I can do. I've attempted Blackstrat's suggestion but wasn't sure what needed to be deleted, so chickened out of deleting anything! Any suggestions on how I could get these files to work? Unfortunately I'm in the UK, and the Overdrive app hasn't been released here yet...
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

1) You have to delete. Make sure you only delete the folders mention in this thread and other threads. Just confirm you are deleting only those folders.

2) On another thread a user mentioned that simply deleting the library books from their PC and Nook, then re-downloading library books and moving them over worked.

New User
gpalms
0 Kudos

I downloaded Overdrive because I have the same issue (HD+, current software, can't use library books), but it isn't finding my Nook. Did you download to the Nook itself? Or did you download to your computer? I have a Mac...maybe that is a problem?
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

ADE will NOT recognize HD or HD+.

You just download books to ADE.

on HD or HD+ you go to Settings > Account Settings > Adobe Digital Editions and enter your account information there.

Important: Do this FIRST, before moving books over.

Then you can move files downloaded via ADE to HD and HD+. Just drag them over using the file system. You won't have HD or HD+ recognized by ADE.

Now you can open the books.

Another option is to use the Overdrive App.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

gpalms wrote:
I downloaded Overdrive because I have the same issue (HD+, current software, can't use library books), but it isn't finding my Nook. Did you download to the Nook itself? Or did you download to your computer? I have a Mac...maybe that is a problem?

Download the Overdrive APP from the nook store and install it to your HD+. It's free.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Then after downlaoding the Overdrive app onto your HD,  authorize ADE directly on your HD under settings/account settings

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!