Frequent Contributor
gritsgal
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

AT&T Mobile Hotspot MiFi® Liberate

Went to the AT&T store for a different issue and the rep saw I had a Nook HD+ and wanted me to purchase this device. He claimed it would turn my AT&T 4g signal into a WiFi hotspot and allow me to use the Nook even if I had no native WiFi hotspot in the area. Has anyone had any experience with this? I figured he was full of hot air, but worth checking out.

Mike 

Frequent Contributor
DOGandHORSE-Mom
0 Kudos

Re: AT&T Mobile Hotspot MiFi® Liberate

If you travel extensively and really need the features/functionalty this provides (is it costing about $50/month on a 2 year contract?), then it might be something to consider.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

If you already have a smartphone with a data plan, you can probably add an option to allow it to act as a wifi hotspot. With Verizon, that feature cost $20 per month extra. Not cheap, but cheaper than a 2nd device typically.

Frequent Contributor
gritsgal
0 Kudos

I can turn my smartphone into a hotspot? Now that's worth checking out. AT&T was $40 for the device and $20 a month with a 2 yr. contract extension. And $169 without extension. Thanks for the idea.
bobstro
0 Kudos

Possibly not all smartphones, but it's a feature the carriers love to sell (overpriced as it is).

Contributor
blackstrat
0 Kudos

I'm an over the road truck driver, I use the same type of unit, albeit, from another carrier... For me it's a must. If was at home, I wouldn't have it.
Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

T-mobile offers it....$20/month, I think...

Jeremy

roustabout
0 Kudos

pay close attention to the amount of data you get with any plan - I've blown through my 2 gig cap in a couple of days on occasion, once because I forgot I'd left the hotspot enabled on my phone.

if you're running a rooted phone, you don't even need to ask your carrier for a plan as long as you don't watch netflix or otherwise pull in a lot of data.  I think ATT pays attention to iphone rooting, but otherwise - especially with android phones - many monthly plans have enough data built in to let you check mail and read the web on a second device without it being worthwhile to try to identify tethering.  Probably because most who do so also do the reverse and use phones over wifi when they're home.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

For those in the UK with a monthly mobile contract with a data allowance from O2 (Telefonica), using your smartphone as a wifi hotspot for your Nook is no extra cost.

You are free to use your data allowance on your smartphone or on other tethered devices as you wish.

Reader
LeeVF
0 Kudos

My iPhone through AT&T can automatically become a local wifi hotspot that I have used for my Nook HD+. Doesn't cost you any extra $ directly, but does count against your data plan.

Distinguished Correspondent
lochnez
0 Kudos

I'm on Verizon (switched from Sprint) and my iPhone can be a "personal hot spot" and I can tether my HD+ or HD to it through Bluetooth or WiFi. Uses your data plan, so keep track if you have a limited plan.

Contributor
sivadselim
0 Kudos

If you have an Android phone (or a jailbroken iPhone), you may be able to use an app to provide yourself hotspot capability without having to pay for that feature. But, as everyone has warned, be very aware of your data usage if you have a limited plan.