Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Accessing Your Calibre library from you HD/HD+ over wifi

[ Edited ]

There is no need to hook up to your PC to access your Calibre library or even to use an app.To find out what the address for you calibre is, click on connect/share and it will give you the address. Then go to preferences, sharing over the net and tell Calibre to start server. You can put in a user name and password for security. It tells you what url to use to access it: http://yourserveraddress:8080

You can then access your calibre server over the web to download your books.

I kept seeing that connect/share option at the top and decided it check it out. :smileyhappy:

It's free so that's good. I like it better than using dropbox because I don't have to store anything in cloud storage and then have to manage that as well. And I can still browse covers, tags etc in Calibre to browse for a new read.

You can also switch back and forth to the mobile or non=mobile interface.

Very cool.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Re: Accessing Your Calibre library from you HD/HD+ over wifi

Compulsive,

I've found when using the Wi-fi connection to access the books online, I still have to go to my pc to activate the Calibre server before I have access to my Calibre library online. Do you also, or is there some setting I have wrong?

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

It should not be turning itself off unless you closed Calibre itself. in the same settings that you turn it on, you can tell it to automatically run when calibre starts. If calibre is open, your server is on.

I keep Calibre open and minimized so the server is on.

Calibre also endorses the Calibre Companiion app that is available in the google store that requires ICS on the device. I have written to the author to request that it be done for the HD devices. It does cost about 2.99 I think but you would need a rooted HD(+) to run it.

I'm happy with the server set up. I'm not hooked up to the computer for it to mess up my device again and hopefully won't have to hook up for any reason again. Between dropbox and the calibre server, I'm good. AND I can manually update from my device now. To not have to hook up to the PC is something I have wished for on all my devices.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

I emailed Steve Haley at Calibre Companion about getting it into the BN library. He would be interested if there was enough interest from others. If this is something you'd be interested in, drop him a note. There is a link to the Calibre Companion website from the Calibre website. Once there, there is a contact link to email him.

Reader 4
jekkyll
0 Kudos

this is the coolest thing I've ever heard of!  Could you give us step by step directions?  I have a lot of books in my Calibre library on my PC, but I'm still not sure how you're accessing them from the Nook.  Thank you, thank you so much!

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

How to set up Calibre for web access on your HD(+).

[ Edited ]

jekkyll wrote:

this is the coolest thing I've ever heard of!  Could you give us step by step directions?  I have a lot of books in my Calibre library on my PC, but I'm still not sure how you're accessing them from the Nook.  Thank you, thank you so much!

I'll give it my best shot. :smileyhappy:

I am using the latest version 0.9.7 of Calibre but had it running the last version. I used. I did have some problems prior to that.

Open Calibre. At the stop will be a white shape with 3 green balls over it. It says "connect/share".

Click on that and you will get 5 options. Connect folder, Connect Itunes, Start server, Stop wireless device connection and set up email based sharing of books. (notice that last one, you have Calibre email an ebook to you or a friend) Click on Start server.

At that point, it will give you your servers IP address and port, write it down.

Should look like ###.###.#.## or something near that with numbers not #s.

Next click on Preferences. Scroll down to "sharing" and click on "sharing over the net".

That will open up the configuration window. Mostly, you want to set the username and password (of your choice. Make sure you check off "Run server automatically when calibre starts".

There's a place to click on to test your server, do so and you'll see what it should look like on your device. The URL listed for that test is NOT the URL you will use to access it from your devices browser but it will give you a good idea on what to expect on your device and how you can use it.

The server is now ready so you need to get there from your device. You do this from your device's web browser.

The url to access calibre  will be     http://###.###.#.##:8080 

I am using 8080 as an example for the port as it is the most common used. No www. or anything like that, just the http://urladdress:8080. This is listed on the bottom of the configuration page you just finished in Calibre if you need better instructions. 

When you get to your calibre server website in your browser, you should get a pop up asking for the username and password. Log in and your calibre server should show up. There is also a mobile version you can choose to use from the top menu, but I find it difficult to scroll through all my books from there so I just use the desktop version. It's easier to do a sort, then choose from the alphabet list and then go from there. IMHO anyway.

I think and hope I didn't mistype anything or make it confusing. Was trying to be thorough. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Re: How to set up Calibre for web access on your HD(+).

forgot: once you find the book, you download it to your device. That's the easy part. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
junonia-shell
0 Kudos

Thanks for the directions. If I could give you more kudos I would. :smileyhappy:
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Thank you.

And I wrote to check off  the automatic start spot and I meant to write check on! Sorry about that.

Contributor
starrlight23
0 Kudos

I have set up everything correctly. I can even see all the book in calibre but it won't download to my device. When I click get it I then get a notification that the doanload was unsuccessful. Any help for this

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

The very first time I downloaded a book, I got the same message. So waited a few min and did it again and it downloaded that time. And it has downloaded every time correctly since then.

Contributor
starrlight23
0 Kudos

I have tried a few times and its telling me the same thing. I will try again later and hope for the best

Contributor
starrlight23

Thank you very much. It finally worked. i am just so thrilled to not have to hook my nook up to the computer to get my books from calibre

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Yeah!! So glad it worked for you. After the fiasco of losing my shelves every time I hooked up to the PC, I was very happy to not have to do that anymore.

Inspired Contributor
Michael_the_Writer
0 Kudos

Thank you very much for this info, especially the step-by-step directions. I still use the USB connection but will definitely be trying your technique soon. I've been using Calibre for my growing ebook library over the years but haven't tried wireless access before. Now that I have this info, I look forward to trying it.
Inspired Contributor
MyOwnLittleWorld
0 Kudos

From what I've seen, the downside of doing it this way is that Calibre will not indicate what books are already on your Nook.  My computer, which runs XP, will not recognize the HD when it's plugged into the PC, so I have to use this method.  I have not, so far, lost my shelves.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

MyOwnLittleWorld wrote:

From what I've seen, the downside of doing it this way is that Calibre will not indicate what books are already on your Nook.  My computer, which runs XP, will not recognize the HD when it's plugged into the PC, so I have to use this method.  I have not, so far, lost my shelves.

That is definitely a downside. I have so many ebooks to shelve and there are some that I really WANT shelved so I can find them easily and the rest can wait till I get there. I am shelving them mostly by author for now (my favorites tend to have series that I want to be able to easily keep track of) then add the rest I need from Calibre. I also have a "to read" shelf. Eventually, as I start adding more shelves, I'll add those authors to the appropriate shelves as well, but I want to always keep them in separate as well to be able to find them quickly. It's a pain to have to scroll through a 1000 books to get to the H's.

It will probably take me forever, but I'm prioritizing what I want shelved first and this seems to be working for me.  I'm hoping they have the "unshelved books" shelf available when I get there. :smileyhappy:

Eventually I will get them all shelved, but it will take time.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

bumping this up so I don't have to search for it next time. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

YEAH! The manual nooter style of HD+ is out! Have been waiting for it, got it installed and immediately went and got the Calibre Companion app. It is 2.99 but it will connect to the calibre server on your pc without you having to figure out a url, etc.Just tell it to connect (of course, your server has to be up and running) and the popup will ask for your userid and password that you set up, then you are in! I actually purchased this when I rooted my NC thinking it would work but it wasn't compatible after all, so I've been waiting patiently for the chance to use it.

I like the interface better than the wifi connection. The fonts and icons are much bigger and easier to see and hit with my clumsy fingers. But otherwise, works pretty much the same.

Reader 4
LindaB52
0 Kudos

What is "the manual nooter style of HD+" ? and where did you get the Calibre Companion app?
New NT owner