Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Re: How to set up Calibre for web access on your HD(+).

LindaB52 wrote:
What is "the manual nooter style of HD+" ? and where did you get the Calibre Companion app?

oops. meant the manual nooter style of "rooting/hacking" the HD+. The Calibre Companion app is not available yet at the Nook store or for stock Nook devices.Yet...

I've emailed them and they said if they got enough emails, they would work on getting it into the store. Right now, it's available at Google play. At the Calibre site, there is a link to go to the Calibre Companion site. Works similar to the web browser interface for the Calibre server you can set up, except a bit easier to use as the fonts and icons are much bigger and easier to see and use.

In the meantime, the Calibre server works very well, and there is a goodreads plug in that can be used to sync between Calibre and Goodreads shelves. Then you can use the Goodreads app on the Nook which IS available in the Nook Store.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Linda, the "manual nooter" refers to one of the earliest approaches to getting the full android market installed on the Nook Color. 

It involves making a bootable SD card from a disk image, then copying files to that disk. 

Insert the disk into your device and you can boot from it and install software to your Nook. 

I did this for a nook tablet this past weekend and the process is similar for that. 

The image file to boot from is available at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=21895025&postcount=14 but the software you need to flash got moved, I was able to locate it by reading this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1961531

Once you have the  Android market set up, you can install Calibre Companion, but I do hope BN adds it to the shop soon - it's a really useful piece of software, even more for the HD/HD+ devices which have such, ahem, interesting behavior when you copy files to them from your PC directly. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Reader 2
Rich0
0 Kudos

Re: Accessing Your Calibre library from you HD/HD+ over wifi

Hey compulsiveread:

I didn't know what that connect/share option was all about on Calibre.  Thanks for the info.  I set it up and it worked great. I loaded a couple of books onto my Nook Color using this method. I'm using an N2A sd card with JellyBean on the Nook. 

I really don't like using Dropbox either. 

The problem is a couple of hours later I tried it again and and I couldn't make the connection. I just get the message "Webpage not available." 

I have Calibre open on my computer.  Firewall access is still open.  I'm using the same IP address as I used the first time.  But no luck.  Have you ever run into this problem?  Maybe Calibre server is down or something?

It has me puzzled.

Rich

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Hey Rich, Usually when that happens to me, my wifi is weak or my calibre server isn't on due to loss of internet server or Calibre was closed. Make sure the server is set to always start when you open Calibre as well. Sometimes, our ISP will change our IP address which drives my hubby crazy, Check to make sure your server address hasn't changed and your wifi signal is good.

Also, I find if my PC has been rebooted or Calibre was closed but reopened, I have to sign in again.

Reader 2
Rich0
0 Kudos

Thank you (sorry don't know your real name "compulsiveread")

It looks like the ISP changed my IP address.  I just checked it.  Then tried again with the new address and it works fine.  I never new that they changed IP's that often.  That can be a real pain in the butt.

I guess I'll have to check it regularly.

Thanks again

Rich

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Rich0 wrote:

Thank you (sorry don't know your real name "compulsiveread")

It looks like the ISP changed my IP address.  I just checked it.  Then tried again with the new address and it works fine.  I never new that they changed IP's that often.  That can be a real pain in the butt.

I guess I'll have to check it regularly.

Thanks again

Rich

The only reason I know is that my hubby works in IT and requested a IP that does not change..ever. But sometimes it does anyway and when it does, he's on the phone chewing some butt.

When he built and installed my new computer a couple of weeks ago, not being able to connect to my Calibre server was the first thing I discovered so i checked and sure enough, it had changed.

I don't know if we pay extra for that, or just a request for one will get you one, but you might want to check it out.

Pamela

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Rich, if you are using an N2A card and your IP address is always changing, you might want to look into the calibre companion app from google play. It is 2.99 but it will automatically find and connect to your Calibre server without needing an IP address. Just needs your ID and password if you set one. It works similar to your web browser connection, but the icons and print are much bigger and easier to see and use.

Scribe
Froide
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I hope Calibre will soon offer a Nook app. For now, I access my Calibre library via Dropbox (always accessible when I've got web access), my Nook browser (preferable, but the problems with that option have already been mentioned), or by booting into Android mode using a dual-boot sdcard and using the Callibre app from Google Play.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx

[My quicklinks to pick/post limited-time ebook and audiobook freebies in the Limited-Time NOOKbook Freebies and Official OT threads.]
Scribe
Froide
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I love Calibre, and FYI, I use a low-cost AFN (Android For Nook) card rather than a DIY card or N2A card to boot to the Android OS. Rationale: AFN offers free updates for a year and fantastic customer support. (I don't work for AFN; I'm just a happy customer.)
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx

[My quicklinks to pick/post limited-time ebook and audiobook freebies in the Limited-Time NOOKbook Freebies and Official OT threads.]
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Froide wrote:
I hope Calibre will soon offer a Nook app. For now, I access my Calibre library via Dropbox (always accessible when I've got web access), my Nook browser (preferable, but the problems with that option have already been mentioned), or by booting into Android mode using a dual-boot sdcard and using the Callibre app from Google Play.

If you go to the calibre website and find the app endorsement, it will send you to the apps website and you can email the developer there. He told me if he had enough interest he would work on it for us.

Sorry, I can't send a link as it's again the rules...boooooo! :smileyhappy:

The Calibre Companion app (not the Calibre LIbrary app) has two ways to access it, one via the server, where you browse the server and download individual books via your browser. The other way is to connect as a moblie device. When you connect as a mobile device, you use tell Calibre on your PC to do the transer.I like that better as I have more control over what I'm doing and it seems as if the transfers go much smoother. Doing it this way is nice too as Calibre places your downloads into folders by author. You can also send multiple books at the same time. Calibre always looks to see what you have on your device so you know not to download it again if you are hooked up this way. Another nice thing I discovered is that if you open the app, you can browse the books you've downloaded without connecting to the server. Covers, descriptions, and other information are available to you there and you can also sort them in the same way you sort in Calibre on your pc. EXCELLENT!!!

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Calibre Companion and Status Bar Plus are two apps I've posted to the suggestions board as recommended for addressing limitations in the nook products.  CC in particular really fills a need in Android 4.x based readers, since the usb connection is so poor.  Both apps are great fits for the shop, too -- no ads, and they sell in the play store at reasonable prices, I think 2 and 3 bucks.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

Calibre Companion and Status Bar Plus are two apps I've posted to the suggestions board as recommended for addressing limitations in the nook products.  CC in particular really fills a need in Android 4.x based readers, since the usb connection is so poor.  Both apps are great fits for the shop, too -- no ads, and they sell in the play store at reasonable prices, I think 2 and 3 bucks.

I haven't checked out the Status Bar Plus app yet, I'll have to do that.

Those limitations are the only reason I've modified my HD+. It is unacceptable to me to have a $250-300 device/ereader/tablet and I cannot manage my library OR device effectively and don't have access to info on my sideloaded content. *I* can not function when my device is a confusing mess and any attempt I might make to organize it can be wiped out every time a new update comes out.

Reader 2
leeper
0 Kudos

Hi, When I hit download it goes to my NOOKS download folder under MY FILES and while I can navigate to the book it does not show up on the home screen and it often is without the cover. Is it going to your home screen so that all u do is opne library and hit the book you were reading or do you take the extra steps to go to the DL folder? Calibre Companion would be so much easier!! And Integrated. Lee

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Lee, this is something everyone runs into - the downloaded files don't show up on Library. Compulsive Reader has done some excellent posts showing how to get the covers. Just search.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

leeper wrote:

Hi, When I hit download it goes to my NOOKS download folder under MY FILES and while I can navigate to the book it does not show up on the home screen and it often is without the cover. Is it going to your home screen so that all u do is opne library and hit the book you were reading or do you take the extra steps to go to the DL folder? Calibre Companion would be so much easier!! And Integrated. Lee

The Calibre Companion is a lot easier. It keeps a library on your device with titles, metadata and covers for easy browsing and uses the same sorting, etc featurees as calibre does. It also downloads all the books into a Calibre Companion folder on the device and will organize them according to how you set them up. I have mine put in folders by author. That way everything in series are all found in the authors folders. They will also have the series information listed if it's in the metadata. Excellant library tool and so nice to have the metadata information/description available as well as the covers on the device! 

The HD devices do not show covers in the My Files folder whether they have covers or not. They only show up in (non- My files) shelves, in the main library (the one at the top in the library) and on the home screen. Whether my sideloaded books show up in the carousel or not seems to be hit or miss on my own device unless I've opened them, but they can be manually placed on the home screen for easy retreival. Just tap on the book and select "show on home".  There are several pages available on the home screen to keep books handy on your "to be read next list". They can be removed when you no longer need or want them there.

Once you open a sideloaded book, it will also be available in the "current" folder (the book icon on the bottom right of the screen) with other recently opened items for easy retrieval. Then you don't have to search for it when you want to resume reading the book without having to look for it. Just tap on it from there and it will open to where you were last reading.

You can also make a shelf titled so you know they are sideloaded books and place/shelve the books there so you can see them easily as well. Or just shelve them period in by genre/whatever and covers will show up. They can then be accessed from the main library screen shelf you created (with covers) rather than searching for them from the myfiles/ folder without covers. If you convert the ebooks in calibre after you've updated the cover and metadata, the cover will be included in the new epub created. Delete the one on your device that doesn't have a cover and replace it with the new one you created. Again, covers aren't shown in the My Files folder(s) but will be seen elsewhere in the library.

There are several work arounds, depending on what you want and how much work you're willing to do.

Reader 2
leeper
0 Kudos

thanks for the reply. My library in Calibre is currently up to 600 sideloaded books and although I can use the android file utility it was much cleaner and easier on my nook color using the calibre interface. The fact that the HD is not recognized by the mac os via usb alone should have B&N scrambling with Apple for a solution that is graceful, after all it is a 300 dollar device after u buy cover and spare cable etc. Since I don't feel rooting the hd is a real solution I guess companion will not be available as a fix for me. I will either copy the entire library to my micro sd or continue to take the extra steps required by the android utility. I was able to fix the cover problems by converting epub to epub in calibre. Lastly I think we should all be complaining to B&N that WE HAVE to do crazy workarounds to get their product to behave as advertized.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

leeper wrote:

thanks for the reply. My library in Calibre is currently up to 600 sideloaded books and although I can use the android file utility it was much cleaner and easier on my nook color using the calibre interface. The fact that the HD is not recognized by the mac os via usb alone should have B&N scrambling with Apple for a solution that is graceful, after all it is a 300 dollar device after u buy cover and spare cable etc. Since I don't feel rooting the hd is a real solution I guess companion will not be available as a fix for me. I will either copy the entire library to my micro sd or continue to take the extra steps required by the android utility. I was able to fix the cover problems by converting epub to epub in calibre. Lastly I think we should all be complaining to B&N that WE HAVE to do crazy workarounds to get their product to behave as advertized.

Have you tried creating a catalog in Calibre of your library? I'm also going to put a link here on how to use dropbox or another cloud service to access your calibre library and the catalog you create. The catalog is an awesome feature that you can customize for your own needs. It really does work like a catalog, giving you access to your ebooks in Calibre as well as the covers and metadata. Keep a copy of the catalog on your device. It's been a while I used this feature so I'm not sure anymore what features may have been added to it or if it works differently than it did before.

here is a link on how to set up your Calibre Library and catalog as a Calibre Cloud:

http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/create-your-own-cloud-of-ebooks-with-calibre-calibre-opds-dropbox/

It's an older article but the how to's should still be doable.

I doubt if BN will ever offer us easier access and disply to our sideloaded books as they've been making it more difficult with each new ereader so the trend has been in the opposite direction of helpful.

Reader 2
leeper
0 Kudos

Comp, Thank you very much for taking the time to reply in such detail. Unfortunately I'm a stubborn man and it irks me no end that all the solutions drop the epub file into something other than books under my files or the B&N main memory. I like opening the nook and flipping thru covers and I don't get that when I have to place the books in other folders. I have tried dropbox and its ok. I have a lot of family and friends who access my calibre library so I am a bit shy in altering anything there that may impact their rather rote technical abilities to retrieve books in any way. I would rather deal with the issues. The whole library on the SD card works but I will have to create shelves to order it, no big deal OR I will continue to use android file swap OR I will break down and root the darn thing and get calibre companion. Apple has tried for years to limit folks to only their devices but even they had to loosen up eventually. Im hoping that they create the fix or Calibre creates the patch or B&N realizes they sold their device under false premises and fixes the issue. In the interim I have complained to B&N and urge everyone else to do so and I am about to write to the creator of Companion to add my voice to the chorus asking him to work with B&N App store to make his hook available. Thanks again.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

I very much agree with you. There's no excuse why we have to jump through so many hoops to make our ereaders function well as ereaders. As I've ranted many times: Sure would be nice if BN was a bookstore so they understood the needs of readers in general and that their ereaders need to be able to serve and function in the same compacity as a home library...oh wait...BN is a bookseller. So WTH?

One of the problems is that BN removed many of the options/functions that make shelving easier to do and to keep track of what was shelved and not shelved. Then to add insult to injury, once you've spent the hours doing that, BN has a tendency to wipe them out with a simple update so you have to start all over again.

You don't have to root your device. Just install Gapps from the XDA developers forum site. You still have to switch menus from stock to zeam launcher to get to your android apps, but it's always another alternative until BN decides they either have to service their customers needs or lose them.

I realize you would prefer that BN do the right thing, but I've been a Nook owner since the NE1 and that was the last device that was capable of being a truly functional library and well as a great ereader. They are all good ereaders, but the ability to function as a library of our books diminishes with each new device and the need for those functions increases as our libraries grow.

I'm simply tired of waiting for what will probably never happen and took matters into my own hands. I want my device functional NOW, not maybe in a few years. :smileyhappy:  BN was so proud to trot out the ability to buy books from other stores to use on their devices and that was exactly why I chose Nook over Kindle. But as time goes by...they may still let us do that, but they are also continuing to make it more and more inconvenient to do so. I just don't see this as a win/win scenario for BN or for us. The devices are excellant pieces of hardware. It's everything else that falls short. I was once a diehard BN fan...but I'm getting tired of being let down and my needs ignored.

Yeah!! Do contact Calibre Companion...I keep hoping to see them in the Nook Store, the more of us who ask, the better the chances they'll get there. It is soooo desperately needed!

Quite honestly, if BN hired the calibre people to redo the "library" system for our devices,  the device would become THE ereader to own. Or maybe Calibre just needs to make their own ereader to host their software. That I would buy in a heart beat.

Reader 2
leeper
0 Kudos

Amen to all that Comp! Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us, I really appreciate it.