Distinguished Correspondent
jamartMF
0 Kudos

Re: How to set up Calibre for web access on your HD(+).

@compulsiveread. The connect/share worked perfectly. Thank you so much. I have always hated hooking up to the computer by usb. I gave you multiple kudos throughout this post. You deserve more than that for this simple fix to a big hassle.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Re: How to set up Calibre for web access on your HD(+).

jamartMF wrote:
@compulsiveread. The connect/share worked perfectly. Thank you so much. I have always hated hooking up to the computer by usb. I gave you multiple kudos throughout this post. You deserve more than that for this simple fix to a big hassle.

Hey thanks! I agree..it is a big hassle. My old computers usb connections never worked right so I had to find a solution that didn't involve connecting to my PC. Tried several different things till I found calibre's server ability. Sure makes life easier.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Using Calibre Companion app

wanted to update this for people new to Calibre Companion and Calibre since the update.

To use the app, you have to make sure you've enabled the Content Server in Calibre for PC. I've posted how tos for that in previous messages in this thread.

When I first started using Calibre Companion and tried to connect as a wireless device, I thought it wasn't working. It is my preferred way to connect. The next time I tried, it started syncing to Calibre on the PC and I saw that my device was listed as connected on the Calibre software. Once synced, Calibre on PC works just like it would if you were hooked up by USB. Your on device books have a green check mark and you transfer books to the HDs by right clicking on the books and "send to device" and tell it where  you want it to go. Once on the device, it will have the green mark on it in Calibre. You can bulk send too.

In the Calibre Companion App, there are settings for the main page to set up how to display the books, which formats you want downloaded and where to store them. cover sizes to display, etc.

My CC app created a folder "calibre companion" in the myfiles/ section of my library and then a folder for each author under that. It also creates a catalog on your device listing all your transfered books with covers and details. This can be accessed whether you are connected or not so it is also available to you if you don't have wifi on. 

When you tap on a cover, it's details page opens. You can read what its' about, what series if you've added that information in Calibre, etc. I've noticed that this information is based on the metadata in Calibre, not necessarily pulled from the book itself so if you have drmed books transferred, this info will still show. Same if you use it to transfer audiobooks, music etc. It does not open zipped files.

Once opened to the books details page, up in the right corner, you have a delete and a read option. CC does not read your books for you but it does offer up a choice of available apps installed on your device to choose from. The opened book now will show up in your current folder on the home page (lower right hand corner), with cover, book marked to the last page read so you don't have to open the app again to access your book. .

Every time you connect, it needs to sync up to the PC. The more books you have transferred, the longer it takes. After the update, I uninstalled and reinstalled the app so I could put it on my home page for easier access. Since I have over 2000 books, pdfs and other files sideloaded through the app, it took a VERY long time for that first sync as it had to find all those books, check them against what is listed in Calibre and add them to the new catalog. Next time it was faster (about 2 min) because it didn't have to search my device for the books.

Now that my app is on my home screen, I tap on it and it opens up my catalog with all my covers, etc. I can sort my library by author, title, series, etc. Do note though that Calibre used your own imput on series, so if you want that info available in the catalog, make sure it is listed correctly in Calibre. The same with genre. Make sure it's listed in the tags on Calibre before sideloading and it will be available for you as a sort in the catalog.

Opening the app from the home screen is actually easier and faster than going to the library, scrolling down to myfiles, opening myfiles, finding the folder, finding the book. Even going to apps page to open the app is faster than looking for the books in the library. And you have covers and info on the books available.

Some secrets to using it: On many of my craft book files, instead of listing the author under author, I put titles such as "craft" "sewing" etc as the author. This way, all the files go into the same folder as other files of similar nature. I do a sort by authors name and they all show up under the name I chose for them. If you still want to know who wrote the boook, list the author in the tags. I know I could list this in JUST the tags and sort that way, but when you have multiple tags for each book, sorting by tags can call up 1000's of tags to go through. There are a lot fewer authors to sort through.

I also make sure I list which store I bought the book from so if there is a problem, I can go back to the store and download it again. I made a separate column for this so I could see at a glance what I wanted as each column in Calibre has it's own paragraph in the app. Easier than trying to find the info in the description. You can tell Calibre which columns to include in the catalog to make sure this is included.

junonia-shell
0 Kudos

Re: Using Calibre Companion app

Thanks for the updated info. I am really loving this app. It's a shame you don't get a percentage from the sales of this app since the update 2.1 for the Nook HD owners. LOL! If anyone is a reader like I am, and your're OCD about your library, I highly recommend this app. Well worth the money. I've been using it for about a week now,  and it took a little bit of time to get everthing up to snuff, but it was well worth it.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

junonia-shell wrote:

Thanks for the updated info. I am really loving this app. It's a shame you don't get a percentage from the sales of this app since the update 2.1 for the Nook HD owners. LOL! If anyone is a reader like I am, and your're OCD about your library, I highly recommend this app. Well worth the money. I've been using it for about a week now,  and it took a little bit of time to get everthing up to snuff, but it was well worth it.

It would be pretty awesome if one could get paid for being a "fan", eh? But I love Calibre anyway, it's an amazing piece of software and it does a lot more than just update covers and metadata, etc. I'm still finding new functions all the time. And it's FREE!

When the Calibre Companion App came out, I was so thrilled, but even rooted, my NC couldn't install it. Probably why I had to buy the HD+ when it came out. I immediately rooted that, then unrooted and just installed Gapps just to get that app on my device. With the update, I uninstalled the previous version and reinstalled so I could put it on the home screen. I am such a happy camper now!

I'm not an expert on the app or Calibre, but I've played with it quite a bit when I was desparate to find a decent way to manage my books and transfer them in a way that made sense to me and was easy to keep track of. I absolutely do not have all the answers, but I'm happy to help when I can.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Compulsive REader, lotsof companies have affiliate programs. Where you can get a share of the sale if you refer customers. At some point Apps are going to start it too.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Have never done it before 5ivedom, but I'd do it for this app and with a clear conscience because you know I've been cheering for it since day one.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yes, I know.

It works well if you believe in the product and the product is good. Then it's as if you're pre-sales or marketing or evangelist for the product.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Okay...found some awesome links, both for using calibre and the Calibre Companion app. I think you will find these to be very helpful. Remember, how well you utilize Calibre itself, the more advantages you'll get out of your app as that information will define what get's transferred to your device.

here we go:

FAQ, etc for CC app:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188899

Calibre Facebook page has links to different tips and technique pages, etc. Great information:

https://www.facebook.com/calibre.ebook?v=wall

User forums for Calibre for help and information:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=f17665b67bb34b18884ded88921297e9&f=234

Hope this helps!

lochnez
0 Kudos

So what's the diff between Calibre Companion (paid) and Calibre Sync (free)? I have CS on my HD+ and it syncs to my Calibre library on my PC thru WiFi. I can send to the device, delete from the device, etc. Bookcovers are included in the downloads. I can open downloads in the Nook ereader or FBReader, etc., no problem. If there is a distinct advantage to CC over CS I'd be very happy to pay for it. I just want to know up front if it will improve my sideloaded content. Any takers?

lochnez
0 Kudos

lochnez wrote:

Bookcovers are included in the downloads. 

Clarification: bookcovers show if I look at the list in FBReader. However, in the Nook Library, the books show in the My Files without cover art. Sorry about that.

Any way to get the sideloads into My Library or My Shelves with or without bookcover?