Contributor
darthcircuit
0 Kudos

Allowing Unknown Sources

This is my first ever Nook, and I was greatly excited that I could atleast sideload apps. I am greatly dissapointed however that I cannot just install the apps I need straight from the tablet.

Apparently this used to be available on the older Nook Tablets. Why is it not available now?

The problem I have with sideloading apps, also is that they do not show up on my shelf of available apps. You have to do some stupid gesture to get them to show. They do work fine, but it's just a pain.

Distinguished Correspondent
Tom51
0 Kudos

Re: Allowing Unknown Sources

You may sideload contents - music, books and etc., but it is not meant to support app sideloading.  There were many hot discussions around this subject.  Just search it.

If you definitely need to sideload apps, like me, return the device before your two weeks is up.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

darthcircuit: Apparently this used to be available on the older Nook Tablets. Why is it not available now?

The old Tablets allowed apps to be sideloaded when they first came out. The menu option that let you allow app installations from unknown sources was hidden so it couldn't be accessed easily so obviously, installing apps from places other than their store was not something B&N was interested in allowing the user to do. Fortunately/Unfortunately, the menu wasn't hard to find - all the user had to do was to try to install an app from somewhere other than B&N's app store voila! - the menu was triggered and the option could be enabled. That lasted about a month. Calling the ability to find and enable the option a "bug", B&N sent out an update that "fixed the problem" shortly before Christmas. Ever since then, the only way you can get non-B&N apps on the device is to either root it or use a dual-boot card. 

Distinguished Correspondent
Tom51
0 Kudos

TnTexas wrote:

darthcircuit: Apparently this used to be available on the older Nook Tablets. Why is it not available now?

The old Tablets allowed apps to be sideloaded when they first came out. The menu option that let you allow app installations from unknown sources was hidden so it couldn't be accessed easily so obviously, installing apps from places other than their store was not something B&N was interested in allowing the user to do. Fortunately/Unfortunately, the menu wasn't hard to find - all the user had to do was to try to install an app from somewhere other than B&N's app store voila! - the menu was triggered and the option could be enabled. That lasted about a month. Calling the ability to find and enable the option a "bug", B&N sent out an update that "fixed the problem" shortly before Christmas. Ever since then, the only way you can get non-B&N apps on the device is to either root it or use a dual-boot card. 

TnTexas is correct.  So many people after that chose to either root their devices or use CM versions to run full Android (almost).  However both of them need to be developed outside B&N and you can find the Nook Tablet or Nook Colore discusssons in xda Developers forum.

From hardware perspective, it's a good device.  But with B&N's own versioin of Android, B&N's vision becomes my destiny.  That's what I can't agree with.  So I chose to use CM7 (SD version) on my Nook Tablet.  I'll considee to buy up to HD/HD+ only when some CM is abailable for it.