Contributor
Serapion
0 Kudos

Any Nook versions of apps better than Google Play versions?

[ Edited ]

There are several apps I use on my iPod Touch that I want to use on my Nook as well.  I see that there are Nook Store versions and Play Store versions of apps like Evernote and Pandora and that they can't be installed simultaneously.  Are there any good reasons to choose the Nook-specific versions?

My basic guess on the difference between the Nook and Play versions would be that the Nook versions would be better optimized for Nook but that they probably aren't kept as up-to-date in features as the regular Android versions given that this requires the developers to spend money on keeping them up-to-date and the install base is probably smaller on the Nook versions than for the general Android versions of these apps, so those probably get prioritized.  I could definitely be wrong, so if there are any compelling reasons to choose the Nook versions on any apps that have Play versions that anyone knows of please let me know... Thank you!

Contributor
KOADude
0 Kudos

Re: Any Nook versions of apps better than Google Play versions?

The main reason for going with a Nook version of an app is if you prefer the older version over the latest version. For instance, EA's Real Racing 2 is still available in the Nook App store, while it's been replaced by Real Racing 3 in the Google Play store. While Real Racing 3 is a good app, I'm not a big fan its "freemium" nature and prefer the "non-freemium" Real Racing 2.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

YMMV but I prefer the "old" NOOK Netflix app to the new one in the Play Store. The interface is much more responsive.

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

And in my case, the Nook version of Twitter keeps crashing out on me (and it came on the darn thing!) so I'm forced to go with something else. Now THAT'S irritating. I actually prefer TweetCaster Pro but I EXPECT all software that comes on a device to work as it should.  I can't even uninstall the offending app.  :smileymad:

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

The Google Play/Play Store Facebook app is better than the Nook version.

Not all who wander are lost. ---J. R. R. Tolkien
Nook HD 8 GB, Stock Root and Other Mods
Contributor
glownook
0 Kudos

If you happen to use TextNow, the Nook version was better for me (enabled white text on dark input area.)
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

epicurious has a free google app and a 5 dollar nook app.

The nook app is optimized for high res screens, where the Play app is the classic 'big phone app' circa 2010.

Whether 5 bucks is worth it for a pretty face is up to you.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.