Contributor
ejohnson53
0 Kudos

Any way to roll back the 2.1 update?

Any way to roll back this update? It replaced a very good browser with Chrome, a browser that 1) lost my bookmarks, 2) won't run Flash (ruining my home nanny cam system) and 3) forces webpages to default to mobile versions. Before making such a big change, Barnes and Noble should have given us the option to make this very big change. I am very dissappointed.

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat

Re: Any way to roll back the 2.1 update?

ejohnson53 wrote:

Any way to roll back this update? It replaced a very good browser with Chrome, a browser that 1) lost my bookmarks, 2) won't run Flash (ruining my home nanny cam system) and 3) forces webpages to default to mobile versions. Before making such a big change, Barnes and Noble should have given us the option to make this very big change. I am very dissappointed.

Try the Dolphin browser - it runs Flash and I think it offered an option to import bookmarks from PC browsers (not sure of this since I didn't want all mine.)

Distinguished Correspondent
celandinehobbit
0 Kudos

I use Chrome on my lappy and all my bookmarks from there were imported fine and going to desktop bookmarks from the defaulted mobile version is a tap away so not that big a deal for me, but I do miss the flash support with the stock Nook browser. Badly. One of the first things I noticed with the update. 

I'd be happy with a choice on default browser. Perhaps in another update. Soon? 

Contributor
ejohnson53
0 Kudos

After the update, I lost all the bookmarks already on my Nook. I thought B&N would at least offer a way to preserve them. ANyone have any idea how to recover them?

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ejohnson53 wrote:

After the update, I lost all the bookmarks already on my Nook. I thought B&N would at least offer a way to preserve them. ANyone have any idea how to recover them?

See reply #18 in this thread:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-HD-HD-Support/I-have-installed-the-2-1-0-update-and/m-p/...

Inspired Correspondent
campyrs

Ejohnson53:

Laurieb52 wrote:

Campyrs.

Open the chrome browser, then tap on the 3 squares at the top right, then tap on settings, then tap on the 3 squares at the top right again to get the import bookmarks option. Then tap on the option to import bookmarks from android device. I received a failed to import message,but then when I went to the bookmarks page, most of my prior HD bookmarks were there. I did have to re- enter some previously  saved passwords though.

Hope this helps you.  I was able to import all 400+ bookmarks from the previous browser.

Good luck

campyrs

Reader 2
semitech

Count me as one of those disappointed with the new 2.1 upgrade. My chief complaint is that I can't use the Nook HD browser (whoever made it?). I especially appreciated the Article View feature of the old browser.

Article View was especially important to me because I have very old eyes and my Nook HD has only the 7 inch screen. I really, really miss Article View.

Does anybody know how to get the old browser back?

Failing that, does anyone know a way to roll back the OS to 2.0.6?

I think BN should have warned us of the changes and allowed users to chose whether to change their OS.

NOOK HD
Frequent Contributor
BFH-CA
0 Kudos

campyrs wrote:

Ejohnson53:

Laurieb52 wrote:

Campyrs.

Open the chrome browser, then tap on the 3 squares at the top right, then tap on settings, then tap on the 3 squares at the top right again to get the import bookmarks option. Then tap on the option to import bookmarks from android device. I received a failed to import message,but then when I went to the bookmarks page, most of my prior HD bookmarks were there. I did have to re- enter some previously  saved passwords though.

Hope this helps you.  I was able to import all 400+ bookmarks from the previous browser.

Good luck

campyrs

Yes, you helped me a great deal!  Thank you for posting this sequence of tapping which the "unhelpful" new browser's help file did NOT accurately describe.  Kudos to you!

Wordsmith
AlbionRose

As for the Flash issues - have you tried to download Adobe Air from the gplaystore?  It makes other apps more functional, and the BBC website/iplayer app uses Air as a replacement for Flash.

May help with some of the lost website functionality...... 

Contributor
ejohnson53
0 Kudos

Yes, that was the best feature of that browser. Now when I go to read articles, half the page is full of margin adds and what I want to read is eitehr extremely diluted or lost in a maze of unrelated trash.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Campyrs, thanks a lot. I need the browser bookmarks desperately so this is super:

Ejohnson53:

Laurieb52 wrote:

Campyrs.

Contributor
ejohnson53
0 Kudos

Did it. Bookmarks are in reverse chronological order and can't be sorted in Chrome. Geez...even Microsoft lets you do that.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yeah, the joys of Chrome. Supposedly the best browser in the world. Should have realized it was Google.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

yes, the update can be undone. you will lose all your data, though. if you go to the xda devs forums, there is a rooted 2.0.0 available which can be updated to 2.0.6 from files there and which can be prevented from auto updating as well. doing the prep work for this is fairly complex.
"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.