Inspired Contributor
sflawguy1
0 Kudos

Anyone figure out how to turn off notifications

The various notifications are driving me crazy.  When streaming music, the notifications take CPU cycles and interrupt the music stream.  Very annoying.  When reading a book on FBReader, the screen actually dims when a notification appears!  (Yes, the book I am reading dims!  Who thought that could possibly be desired.)

I really don't care if Angry Birds is updating.  I don't want to know.  I don't want glitches in my music and I certainly don't want my book to dim.

I turned notifications off in the settings.  But it did not turn off the notifications.  I was not surprised by this, I am sad to say.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Re: Anyone figure out how to turn off notifications

In addition to the above, I'd turned the volume on notifications all the way down. But my NOOK HD later turned the volume all the way back up.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I read on another thread that you have to both set off Notifications and also set off Notifications for each App one by one.

Not sure if that works since no one had responding to that suggestion.

Contributor
luinstra34
0 Kudos

Try going in to the google play app settings(3 stacked dots), tap the auto updates and a pop up should give you the option to select do not allow auto updates.  Did this on an HD+ after turning off all notifications on the nook settings and it seemed to do the trick.  Hope that helps

Inspired Contributor
sflawguy1
0 Kudos

Thanks Luni,

It seems like several steps are needed, each reducing the amount of notifications.  Turn off notifications, turn off updates.  Several programs that repeat offenders are headed to the cloud.  (I'm talking to you, evernote.)

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

sflawguy1, if you would like to continue to usr Evernote on your HD, go into settings, then sync. Turn off both the auto sync options (one is on a timer, the other is when auto connect to wifi.) Your syncing is entirely manual then. Seems to eliminate the most frequent notifications. (And better on battery life too!) Hope that helps!

Inspired Contributor
NightfallJC
0 Kudos

5ivedom's solution does work. You have to turn them off in the app and in the Nook Settings. That's what I have done.

New User
Hightowerocks
0 Kudos

Re: Here's your answer

On-screen alerts about great deals on NOOK Books®, magazines and more. Please note that you can turn off this feature by going to Settings/General/NOOK Notifications directly on your device.

Or just copy paste this link:   http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Software-Updates-NOOK-HD/379003802

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 41
0 Kudos

This message has been moved for Violation of Community Guidelines.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Email check interval is controlled individually (that is, for EACH configured email account) in settings/applications/email. The default is, as I recall, 15 minutes. There is also a check for notifications there.

Account Settings also has checboxes to sync each email account.

Baron Wulfraed
Distinguished Correspondent
celandinehobbit
0 Kudos

So far, the "stock answer" to turning off notifications is working for me. Turned off Nook notifications long ago and recently changed my email settings to push less often and not to notify me when it does.

Being rude, no matter how frustrated you might be, is not the best way to get results here. 

New User
PedroPD
0 Kudos

I think you can turn off Nook notifications by going into your online account. 

Find "Email Preferences" and turn off notifications.

Frequent Contributor
shelli74
0 Kudos

My sons nook hd has this problem also. We have turned off both general notification settings and the individual app settings and turned off every sync option. With the volume muted if the nook is left on several apps will at full volume send out notifications. Same apps and same settings on my nook and mine stays silent.