Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

App Killer after update

I find that a lot of my apps reappear on my App Killer list after I charge my battery. They were already removed prior to charging. Any solution to this?

Inspired Contributor
MyOwnLittleWorld

Re: App Killer after update

I've experienced this same issue which I reported under the thread "Battery" in this forum.  No matter what it keeps unkilling itself and steals battery juice.  After lots of help it appears this is a new "Undocumented Feature" after the upgrade that needs to be resolved.  Turning off maps and Google play auto update helps plus any other program that constantly reaches for the internet.  I went from full battery at bedtime to 24% in the morning.  See that thread on my documentation.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Thank you for confirming what I tried to discribe. It's extremely annoying to see all of these apps running after I kill them.

Going to read your previous post.

Inspired Contributor
MyOwnLittleWorld
0 Kudos

You are quite welcome.  I am still extremely satisfied with my HD and wouldn't trade it.  Because of this device, I've increasingly read more and enjoyed reading everyday!  I'm confident that BN will resolve this issue.  I was in the software development industry for a while and it seems like the release window gets shorter at the expense of adequate testing and it falls to us, their customers, to point things out.  This is why I try to document these issues in the hopes that others can duplicate what I'm experiencing then know I'm not the only one.  Hope my posts helped in the other thread.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Doreenpv wrote:

Thank you for confirming what I tried to discribe. It's extremely annoying to see all of these apps running after I kill them.

Going to read your previous post.

i think this is an Android issue or an app issue because I use an app killer on my Android phone and a good number of them come back almost immediately.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I think the most likely possibilities are

1) Some Apps are triggered to restart not only on device restart but also on battery plug-in.

A sort of - Look, there's battery life for us to waste, so let's get started.

2) Google is based on data collection and analysis. It's collecting data from all Android devices. So it's part and parcel of the Android experience to have this going on.

So it has triggers and restarts stuff it needs for data collection.

3) There's something wrong somewhere and when battery is plugged in it mistakes that for device restarts and starts all apps that are supposed to start on startup.

I'm not sure if there is any app in the Google Play Store that is Always checking and killing unwanted apps. There might be.

An Anti-AnnoyingApp App

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

5...very well explained.

I was excited to download Iron Man after the update but I will uninstall it because it uses mega battery pull due to the great graphics.

I have 6 other apps that will need to go also.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

1) Some Apps are triggered to restart not only on device restart but also on battery plug-in.

2) Google is based on data collection and analysis. It's collecting data from all Android devices. So it's part and parcel of the Android experience to have this going on.

3) There's something wrong somewhere and when battery is plugged in it mistakes that for device restarts and starts all apps that are supposed to start on startup.

I'm not sure if there is any app in the Google Play Store that is Always checking and killing unwanted apps. There might be.

An Anti-AnnoyingApp App

5ivedom wrote:

An Anti-AnnoyingApp App

5ivedom,

i don't know that battery plug in as anything to do with it.  I killed everything on my phone last night, and didnt plug it in.  This morning there are 23 apps listed.  Some I understand, email, th weather app, others not so much.  YouTube, Bubbleburst, Talk, Tunein radio, they don't  need to be running all the time.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

I tried a couple of Task Killers, and both had a warning that if my Android version was post 2.2 there would be tasks they couldn't stop and I would have to close them using forced stop.

I'm currently using Norton Utilities Task killer, as it shows how much memory each app is using. My Nook is on the homepage with nothing open, and 67% of my RAM is being used by Apps and operating system bits and bobs.  If I kill all tasks, that remains unchanged.

To try and understand what impact that was having on my Nook's performance, I searched around on the web.  On a Poweramp music App forum I found a reply from the App Developer saying any RAM that wasn't being used was basically wasted, and why waste it when it speeds up use of Apps.  As my task killing button from Norton is titled 'Speed Booster' I'm guessing that there is a critical point at which more stuff in RAM =more use of processer=slower Nook.  And I also guess that it will depend on the Apps and what permissions they have as to how much of the processor it takes up doing stuff in background and also how much battery gets drained doing that.

So is it more important to restrict the activities of the Apps (prevent location detection/ stop automatic updates etc.) than it is to kill as many as you can?  Though the Task Killer is useful in spotting processer hungry apps like Dolphin that need closing, and a central point to do it from.  

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

:smileyembarrassed:

Correspondent
DonMN

App killers can themselves be responsible for extra power consumption.  If it is killing a task that Android thinks should always be running, you get into a loop of app killer stops a task, Android restarts the task, app killer stops the task, Android restarts the task, ad infinitum.  This consumes more power than if the task was just left to run.

Inspired Contributor
MyOwnLittleWorld
0 Kudos

Since I don't own a smartphone, android or whatever I cannot vouch for what happens on those devices.  I can, however, state that when my Nook upgraded (I consider this last version a major upgrade not an update) to this version my battery life went from 100% to 26% overnight without use. 

I am not saying that it definitely was the Google apps, such as maps or Google Play, but some culprit loves to chomp at my battery life.  Before the app killer my battery life went down double time.  After installing the killer (called Advanced Task Manager on my screen now), the battery doesn't decrease faster.

It also takes longer to recharge, which I have to do every day now since the upgrade.  Before installing the app killer it was horrendous, but now at least it is more tolerable.

Something is going on.  If it is Nook specific and doesn't happen on androids, then there is something in the code somewhere.  I can't prove it on an android but I know it's happening on  my Nook.  I still love it and use it 95% for reading and not apps but it sure is great to have a reading breather.  Thanks for your help!  I just want to understand what's what.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

I agree...something is going on. I never charged mine but every 2-3 days. Now I do it mid day, every day. PITA

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I have an Android phone and I can tell you that some  apps apparently Cannot be killed.  You can coerce close some of them but there's no guarantee they won't come back on.  The Facebook app won't stay closed, neither will Dropbox.

if you're going to have a device that has access to the Google Play Store, then you 

also get the annoyances of dealing with the GoPS.

Correspondent
DonMN

There are certainly some apps that can be killed and so will reduce your power consumption.  But you need to be careful which ones are killed automatically. If you see them coming back repeatedly, there is no point in keeping them in the kill list.

Inspired Correspondent
campyrs

[ Edited ]

Since the upgrade last Friday, I now charge a minimum of 3 times a day!  I have App Killer and have unnecessary apps killed and I can let it sit overnight fully charged and by morning it can be as low as 31%.  I disable wifi and run app killer before turning the screen off each night.  I used to charge once a day, MAYBE twice if I was using it a lot but it has really changed since the upgrade.

I've gotten to the point of just reading with it plugged in....

Bibliophile
5ivedom

1) That's a strange thing for the developer to say - Any RAM that isn't being used is wasted.

That's not true. Processor load and power used varies according to workload. More RAM = More workload.

2) This:

This morning there are 23 apps listed.  Some I understand, email, th weather app, others not so much.  YouTube, Bubbleburst, Talk, Tunein radio, they don't  need to be running all the time

This is the main thing I was concerned about with Google Play being added.

There's no Free Lunch.

Android has lots of free apps but they try to make money in the following way -

1) Collect your information and send it. Only the unethical ones do this but there are lots of them.

2) Constantly run and pull ads and show you ads.

3) Run always and try to do things like show you ads for other apps etc.

All of this takes up battery power. So often you won't pay $1 for a app. But the amount of battery and power it uses up in serving you ads ends up being a hassle.

I'm not sure what the solution is. There should be an option to disable apps.

Google might have some restrictions around disabling its own apps. However, things like TuneIn Radio. There must be some app out there to disable apps from running if you don't start them manually.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose

Camprys what a pain!  It sounds like some people are having a complete nightmare with battery usage following the update to 2.1, and I seem to remember that people had similar issues following the update to 2.06.

I’m not sure if the 2.06 issues were ever resolved for those people.

It’s weird that supposedly identical devices respond to the same update in such different ways.

My Nook will stay at pretty much 100% of battery overnight, on standby with wifi available. 

FWIW I have

• 16GB Nook HD+ running UK variant of B&N Android operating system, with full 32GB class 4 scandisc microsd card.  No N2A boot files on the card.  This unit did lose access to apps etc. on both 2.05 and 2.06 updates;

• Location Services switched off - though the unit has no GPS, Google may be trying to deduce location from polling IP address info or finding nearby wifi info.  (Settings>All Settings>Location Services>neither option checked)

• Check for Email automatically switched off – I mainly use my pc for immediate access to emails, I just refresh on the Nook when I go into my email app.  (Settings>All Settings>Applications>Email and click on each individual account listed on lefthandside Inbox>check frequency>never)

• Disabled the majority of the Google Apps using Profiles, including

B&N calendar

Gmail

Google

Google Settings

Google +

Google Maps

Netflix

B&N Friends

Pinterest

Play Books

Play Magazines

Play Music

Google Talk

Twitter

Youtube

(Tap on my profile thumbnail at the top of the Nook>edit profiles>tap on each profile>Manage content>Apps>uncheck the App>when done save to exit profile manager)

Google play store, Google play movies, Google voice search, Google calendar are enabled

Though I'm not sure which of these is making the difference, or if it's something else entirely!  I hope this gets resolved soon for those experiencing it.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose

5dom, I tried to go back to the reply on the Poweramp forum, but this article seems to sum up what it was saying:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/mobile-tech-gadget-news/stop-using-android-task-killer-apps/101504510...

It is recommending that people stop using task killers!

And echos what DonMN said earlier.

It recommends using a 'watchdog' rather than a 'task killer' to root out apps which are using RAM with no reason, and deal with them as needed.

Inspired Contributor
Swedereades
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your posts AlbionRose!

I've been thinking about posting about Task Killers, but you beat me to it, and did it better than I would have done!

I read the article you posted to, and apart from all good info there I also want to add that a task killer actually can ADD to battery drain! The killed apps that then restart themselves use more energy when the restart than if they had been left running.

Some apps DO misbehave badly though, and that Watchdog thing that I didn't know about seems like a useful help in identifying them. Thanks!

I have no problems at all with battery life after the update,but I do turn off WiFi when not actually needing it. Not only does that save battery, it also stops ads from appearing in games.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I don't see any difference in my battery life once the update, but, I have also oases installed on app from the Play Store.  I don't have an app killer running on my HD.  I usually don't run one on my phone either I just reinstalled it to see what was going on.

I have to agree with 5iveom.  People wanted the Play Store, they wanted access to the free apps and all the apps.  but there's a cost.